Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Feb 1, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #1,816 of 2,912
There is also the soon to be released NAD HP70.

Not to mention the Beyer Amiron Wireless. This is the BT headphone that I am most looking forward to trying.

Good times are coming, hopefully, for BT headphones, especially for those of us who do not want too much warmth or bass enhancement.

Haven't tried the PX as it has too many 'bells and whistles' for what I want.

I hope BT headphone makers follow B&O in allowing batteries to be replaced by users, particularly since we are seeing prices of £350+ for many BT headphones and the Amiron is supposedly going to be priced between £500-£700.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #1,817 of 2,912
Unfortunately your opinion is in the minority mate. If you have done your homework, you will clearly see that many experts both online and in major audio retailers will echo the sentiments that I and many other users have posted on this forum. The PX is worlds removed from its P7 cousin and shares very little if any similarities from a sound signature perspective. The bass IS lacking for a B&W product. The sound DOES feel distant due to structural flaws. These are well documented. I have not even mentioned the comfort issues. You may have your own opinion and that’s fine. But I would encourage you to research what the majority of people are saying about the PX before making generalizations and oversimplifications. It is an unfinished product with many deficiencies, and there are many better alternatives available.
Don't at all agree with you, not even remotely. And for the record, I have read ever single review of the PX I could find on the Internet and I do not at all see where you are deriving your "facts" from. Further, I wasn't at all generalizing, I clearly marked my comments as based on my first hand experience and suggested that people need to use their own ears and make up their own mind. I will state again, for me and with the experiences I have had, the PX is not at all neutral. I no longer have the P7W on hand to directly compare with so I can't say for certain how similar or how different the bass response may or may not be. Did you have them on hand at the same time for your comparisons or are you using the notoriously inaccurate audio memory as the basis for your denouncement of the PX as compared against the P7W? Either way, it doesn't matter, you most certainly have the right to your opinion and it isn't any more, or any less valid than my perspective.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,818 of 2,912
Not to mention the Beyer Amiron Wireless. This is the BT headphone that I am most looking forward to trying.

Good times are coming, hopefully, for BT headphones, especially for those of us who do not want too much warmth or bass enhancement.

Haven't tried the PX as it has too many 'bells and whistles' for what I want.

I hope BT headphone makers follow B&O in allowing batteries to be replaced by users, particularly since we are seeing prices of £350+ for many BT headphones and the Amiron is supposedly going to be priced between £500-£700.
Yes, the Amiron will be really pricey. I like Beyer signatures sometimes, but I do worry that it might be bright. Who knows, I'll look forward to the reviews and impressions once it is out in the wild. And yes, I owned the B&O H7 and I agree that user replaceable batteries is an excellent idea.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,820 of 2,912
User replaceable batteries are a must. I will not spend hundreds of dollars to "rent" headphones until the battery dies.

Devil’s advocate but wireless cans today will be outdated by wireless technology as things accelerate over the next few years before the battery becomes the reason I buy my next set. I expect Bluetooth to introduce better sound via SBC update that takes advantage of BT5 bandwidth before the battery dies in these.

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,821 of 2,912
Devil’s advocate but wireless cans today will be outdated by wireless technology as things accelerate over the next few years before the battery becomes the reason I buy my next set. I expect Bluetooth to introduce better sound via SBC update that takes advantage of BT5 bandwidth before the battery dies in these.

That's a fair argument, but I'm more concerned with sound/comfort/isolation than with codec quality. I've got a junky bt adapter that sounds good enough to me. My headphones investment goes into the hardware and I expect years of use. When I want the best sound quality, I'll be at home and can just plug in.
I guess that's why I just ordered up 4 different inexpensive bt headphones from Monoprice. I'll keep the best of the lot and return the rest. ~$50 is my budget for disposable.

Feb 1, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #1,822 of 2,912
Well, sadly I returned mine today. I love the way they sound but too many niggles for the price.

Sound skipping constantly when connected to two devices, can't drive passively, too much background noise when wired analog, proximity sensor sometimes goes haywire (great when it works)

Maybe the next revision will have the best of both P7W and PX. For now the P7W will have to do :)

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #1,823 of 2,912
Well, sadly I returned mine today. I love the way they sound but too many niggles for the price.

Sound skipping constantly when connected to two devices, can't drive passively, too much background noise when wired analog, proximity sensor sometimes goes haywire (great when it works)

Maybe the next revision will have the best of both P7W and PX. For now the P7W will have to do :)

That sucks lol. I was planning to give the PX a second chance. I really want to buy the best wireless BT ANC headphones ASAP. I may just resort to the ole trusty QC35 for now till a newer version comes out. Don't really want a Sony, which I can't explain :)

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #1,824 of 2,912
That sucks lol. I was planning to give the PX a second chance. I really want to buy the best wireless BT ANC headphones ASAP. I may just resort to the ole trusty QC35 for now till a newer version comes out. Don't really want a Sony, which I can't explain :)

I have both and am actually quite fond of the Bose signature. I know it's kinda sacrilege but I do think there's something about their psychoacoustic approach that jives well with me. They're not very reference/analytical but they are certainly a pleasure to listen to.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1,825 of 2,912
Before buying the PX all my headphones were budget phones below 100£. This is my first semi expensive headphone which I bought based on the hope that will be the equivalent of the KEFLS50 wireless speakers in the headphone world. An active headphone with a quality DAC and upsampling were the sum of the parts will be greater than the parts themselves. As such it would be a really great bargain. One thing is certain for me after using them for three weeks these for sure they are not what I expected. I was fortunate enough (or maybe unfortunate since sometimes ignorance is bliss) to be given the HD 650 and oppo pm3 from a colleague from work for a home comparison. And especially for classical music and according to my taste the PX are not close enough. And although pm3 are really great I fell immediately in love with the HD 650.

I understand all the comments from all the people that find PX good enough. With House music are really great and with some type of music they provide a very solid alternative since they have attack and dynamics you can't find in hd650 or pm3. There were songs (or in movies ) that you could say I prefer them over the hd650.

But then again I understand all the people with the negative comments. There are songs or passages in music that sound, as others already describe as boxy, where PX can really go wrong according to my opinion. Most notable example is the Vivaldi piece in the 2L The Nordic sound record. According to my opinion this piece does not sound right with PX not only in comparison with Hd650 but also in comparison with the Momentum 2.0 wireless. I went yesterday at selffridges to check the gray colour and I tried again the vivaldi part to various headphones: Meze 99, Shure 1541 , momentum 2.0 wireless, Audeze Sine, Sony MX1002. For this particular piece of music I preferred all of them rather than the PX. And for me actually the hd 650 found a real competitor from the Meze 99 but this is another story...

Bottom line is that currently the PX is probably by far the best Bluetooth headphone out there but in comparison with similar priced wired headphones (and particularly for classical) is lacking behind especially in smoothness.

For the reasons mentioned above I understand all the controversy and different opinions around the sound quality of these headphones and can be attributed partially to their technological complexity. They have an amp, a DAC, they upsample everything they probably convert analogue to digital and analogue again who knows what can go wrong and were exactly. And in USB mode they sound a lot better with a jitterbug . Undoubtedly, a very fascinating headphone from a technological point of view but not exactly the panacea I was expecting.

Sweet thank you for the detailed review. I use monolith m1060s, but they’re not the best for portable headphones lol

I don’t care about noise canceling, was just interested in these for portability and sound quality. I also have hd 650s, but looking for a portable set. Will check out the meze, was going to look at those anyway so thanks!

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #1,827 of 2,912
I’ve purchased these twice just to make sure. They have been sold twice.

Lol! I was literally planning to run to Bestbuy first thing in the morning to give them a second chance after reading some disappointing reviews about the h9i, which I have been patiently waiting for.

Mind sharing your experience with the PX?

When I initially purchased the PX, I returned them within 3 hours of purchase because they randomly turned off/lost connection. The app also took forever to load even after the firmware update. I didn’t feel like troubleshooting a $400 product out of the box.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,828 of 2,912
Just returned a pair which I owned for a month, really liked the sound which was dark but accurate but too many issues.
They cannot be used passively which is a big issue if the battery runs out, its too complicated for its own good (sensor plays up) and the last straw, wore them outside, it started to rain and they died!
Now where's my wired Audio Technicas?

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #1,830 of 2,912
I wasn't using them for sport, I wore them outside for a walk, plus isn't the whole idea of loosing wires is to make them portable? And isn't portable (ie Walkman) intended for outside use?
I think if B&W stated that they couldn't be used outside I think sales may be affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back