CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #451 of 489
Thanks, quick Google search shows it's the Meze 109. According to reddit page it should be out in 6 months? It sure looks very nice!
Yeah, I'm excited for it. Should be $700-800 and has a nice low end.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #452 of 489
-Gilmore Lite: Treble was elevated and had an unnatural timbre.
Kevin Gilmore would probably be insulted at that comment. It was probably the headphones you have chosen to audition the amp with. I used to have a Gilmore Lite mk2, and felt that it's as neutral as they come, for all intents and purposes to me, a "studio reference", and not one that costs a fortune. 90% of amplifiers have a flat frequency response, even $200 ones, and distortion numbers that are more than acceptable, compared to the headphones (and even most of that, is masked by the music, especially at lower frequencies). I had used five different headphones with that amp, and only the HiFiMan Arya v2 I felt had elevated treble and an unnatural timbre. Lower quality amplifiers I had used, had usually "warmed over" the music, causing slight cutbacks in resolution, replaced with "glare" upon getting a better one, until I had gotten used to it.

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #453 of 489

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #454 of 489
Uhm, I don’t particularly care if a manufacturer of a piece of gear would feel insulted by the fact that it sounds bad. The whole point of earnest criticism and review is not to blindly defer to manufacturers.

I heard a variety of headphones on the Gilmore lite, and also heard those same headphones on quite different gear, such as iFi, amps and sound, and ferrum. On none of that other gear did these headphones exhibit noticeable sibilance in the top end. Moreover, although amplifiers do in general exhibit very similar frequencies responses, this does not equate to identically sounding amplifiers, likely due to ringing, transient emphasis, and various timbral qualities of the presentation. The fact that you have a differing opinion is perfectly fine, but the vehemence with which you express it belies an underlying insecurity.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #456 of 489
From darko.audio... Community spirit: CANJAM NYC 2022

I have to say, all of these video recaps are giving me the feels - makes me wish the show didn't go by so fast. :cry:

There's been quite a few "short" videos highlighting CanJam NYC 22, love them and thanks to everyone that produced them. I also share them with friends that ask about my trip as well as new folks in the hobby. A colleague of mine watched them, listened to me gloat about Empire Ears and bought a pair of B stock Bravado Mk IIs. Hoping he joins up on the site here.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #457 of 489
They came from the factory with firmware 2.2, and for the second day we updated them to 2.3.0 overnight. Bit more volume headroom and button responsiveness, and a few other things… we have been pretty active with them, should be releasing another update with an improvement to battery standby time this month (maybe as early as the end of next week? Soon as it’s done cooking!).

There’s a demonstration of how to update the firmware, and a whole bunch of other helpful videos & documentation at https://help.grellaudio.com/grell/grell-tws-1
Thanks. As I posted elsewhere, I am finding myself using these more and more, though I own quite a few high end (or at least medium end) items. HD600, Focal Clear, Sony xm4, K9 Pro amp....

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #458 of 489

Ooh, very nice! :smiley:

There's been quite a few "short" videos highlighting CanJam NYC 22, love them and thanks to everyone that produced them. I also share them with friends that ask about my trip as well as new folks in the hobby. A colleague of mine watched them, listened to me gloat about Empire Ears and bought a pair of B stock Bravado Mk IIs. Hoping he joins up on the site here.

Woo hoo! :relaxed: One of us! One of us! 🤣

Mar 11, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #459 of 489
Is Spirit Torino not that well known in the west? To be honest this was my first time demoing their wares, but I was absolutely stunned.
Especially given that their booth reminded me of a lemonade stand, with how unassuming it was.

In any case I ended up putting down an order for the Titanos, but what I found odd was the complete lack of reviews for them; much less of the rest of Torino's cans.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #460 of 489
Is Spirit Torino not that well known in the west? To be honest this was my first time demoing their wares, but I was absolutely stunned.
Especially given that their booth reminded me of a lemonade stand, with how unassuming it was.
I believe that besides what I wrote earlier in this thread, several other people were very impressed with the Spirit Torino line of headphones. I found their headphones to be world class and the time I spent at their table to be among the best time I spent during Can Jam. Very impressive and lots of fun.

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #461 of 489
Not sure if it had to do with the dac which it was hooked up to, (and obviously take all this with a grain of salt because meet conditions etc.) but I was genuinely unimpressed by the OOR + Hypsos combo at Canjam.

Same! On Day 1, I listened to two things that were revelatory for me: The Susvara on Hugo TT2 + EF1000 (at Bloom), and the LCD-5 on the Burson 3X GT + Nagra (at the Audeze booth). I have the LCD-5 coming straight out of a Dave, but the extra power was amazing, and I decided I wanted a Susvara too. So naturally I decided I needed a Susvara + (something) to add to my rig. I went home, did a bunch of reading, and found that the Burson 3X GT is generally considered a top HP amp for the Susvara, along with the Volot and the Ferrum stack. So Day 2 I went to go listen to the Ferrum, and... blah. I was listening through a Utopia which I don't know very well, but the whole thing was really lacking. I confirmed my impressions from the day before on the Burson and the Susvara, and now I have a Burson 3X GT and a Susvara incoming. Can't wait.

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #462 of 489
I believe that besides what I wrote earlier in this thread, several other people were very impressed with the Spirit Torino line of headphones. I found their headphones to be world class and the time I spent at their table to be among the best time I spent during Can Jam. Very impressive and lots of fun.
What I mean is the lack of review for the headphones individually.
Literally could not find anything for the Titanos besides company videos and a review in Italian from 8 months ago.
Anyhow I did actually see your review from earlier in the thread and I'm glad the Torino line got some love.

Mar 12, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #463 of 489
I'm glad the Torino line got some love.
I am also active on the Roon Community and there are a few people who rave about the Spirit Torino headphones so the word (and love) is getting out there. Hopefully Jude will give them a full review soon.

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #464 of 489
I managed to get some brief time in at CanJam and bought one of the Mistral Pro units they were demoing at a discount after coming across their table and trying their models out. I will admit I thought the Titano was the better headphone and I'd love to try and purchase one in the near future, especially if feedback continues to be positive. My impression is that it's a newer model along with the Mistral Pro and Spirit haven't done too much marketing outside of Italy. HeadAmp sells some of their headphones, but that's the only real US presence I'm aware of. The quality is superb though, as is the aesthetic if it's your kind of thing. I'll also echo any praise that's been heaped on the Valkyria and the one acoustic demo that was cited in a few places. I'm happy to try and answer any questions people might have, too.

I didn't get to try out too many other headphones, but I made it a point to try the Meze Empyrean which did come across as pretty warm. It was really comfortable and I regret not trying out the Elite at the same time, as it's on my radar and I'd be interested in seeing the differences. While doing research as of late I've been putting a lot more emphasis on comfort given how many hours a day I'd wear them at my desk.

DUNU's table was nice and I've been eyeing one of their IEMs as a first to own. I tested out the Titan S, Falcon Pro, and EST112 there, and the Falcon Pro felt like the best option for me, but now that I've read so many good things about the SA6, I'd be tempted to splurge and give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back