CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #466 of 489
This was my first CanJam as I was luckily in NY this year. I got to try many new headphones and IEMs. Some of the headphones that really impressed me were the Stax SR-X9000 (in the eksonic room) and Audeze LCD-3. I was surprised at how good the Sennheiser HD 600 still sounds. IEM's wise what really stood out was the Noble Sultan and the Thieaudio Monarch MKII. The monarch was the surprise of the show for me, It sounded incredible, especially the vocals. Source-wise, I was very impressed by the iFi audio iDSD Diablo (So good!), the Mojo2, and the WooAudio WA7 gen 3. I was left unimpressed with the HEDDphone, the Meze empyrean. the Focal Clear was ok, I wanted it to sound better than it did. The Utopia sounded pretty nice. overall It was an amazing experience, I can't wait to attend the next CanJam in NYC.

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #467 of 489
FB_opening_Img.jpg

We had an awesome time at CanJam New York this year and we’re excited to present a few upcoming products that we can’t wait to have in stock! The three things that we would like to present to you are: an all new portable DAC/Amp, a dedicated amplifier (this one is actually already shipping), and finally, we have a legendary DAC that’s well known in the community but is new to our lineup.

angel_hifiman_fb.jpg

The Earmen Audio Angel is hands down the most exciting new product that we had a chance to hear. It’s set to be priced just under the iFi Audio iDSD Diablo while offering much of the same power and performance. We are deeply impressed at how well it drove both the HIFIMAN Susvara and HE1000SE. From the 4.4mm balanced output Susvara had a taut bass response with natural and present mids alongside a sparkly top end. Plus, the Earmen team has built in some excellent quality of life features that make Angel stand out from its competitors. One such feature is an auto fade-in and fade-out upon start up and while muting the player or switching between gain stages. While Angel isn’t quite ready to ship out yet, we’re quite confident that it’ll be in stock soon, and we’ll provide more details as soon as we have them.

RAAL.jpg

The RAAL-requisite team captured our attention with their all new Direct Drive Variable Mode Tube Amp the VM-1a. Almost everyone who heard the RAAL-requisite SR-1a Ribbon Headphone and VM-1a combo felt as though it was hands down the best that they’ve heard RAAL-requisite’s ribbon headphone sound. There was no lack of bass texture, impact, or detail. The mid-range was simply beautiful and SR-1a had limitless top end air with no fatigue or sibilance. The initial production run of VM-1a has sold out and will be back in stock and shipping soon! As always, we will provide updates as we get them.

FB_newDac.jpg

Finally, while many already recognize the brand and product, we’re excited to feature the Border Patrol DAC as an upcoming product in our inventory. We do not have units in stock at the moment but we hope to have some soon. Anyone who has heard the @mrspeakers ,a.k.a Dan Clark Audio, Stealth with our HeadAmp GS-X Mini and this DAC can attest to how breathtakingly natural this set up sounds. It’s easily our favorite system with the Stealth!

Sue_DCA_brderptrl_gsx_fb.jpg

FB_T2.jpg

Oh! Before we go, we wanted to share something interesting and exciting with all of you. It appears that there may be a new electrostatic amplifier emerging based around the original STAX T2 circuit and design. We had a moment to listen to it and we appreciated the slightly different tuning and presentation it offered.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #468 of 489
Is Spirit Torino not that well known in the west? To be honest this was my first time demoing their wares, but I was absolutely stunned.
Especially given that their booth reminded me of a lemonade stand, with how unassuming it was.

They had a North American distributor a few years ago, who began the process of introducing them here. They were at, at the very least, one CanJam in the past (though I can't recall which one at the moment). However, I think the pandemic put a damper on everything. I'm glad to see that they are doing well, and welcome them back. :relaxed:

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #469 of 489

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #470 of 489

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #472 of 489
The inspiration I got from Headamp BHSE with X9000 is that there is another possibility of system matching which differs from the complement between gears to make up the weakness of each other. Headamp BHSE & X9000 proves another approach to showcase the fourte of gears of matching the electrostatic amp with the best mids and ease with the most relaxed mid-central stax earspeakers, reaching a result with the unparalleled relaxation and eas with a perfect midrange that hasn't heard off.
The CEO of shuiyueyu Moondrop even compare this system with Orpheus only to find out this system sounds nothing inferior to Orpheus, and is even more analog as well as more true to life.

Thanks, quick Google search shows it's the Meze 109. According to reddit page it should be out in 6 months? It sure looks very nice!

Headamp BHSE is definitely a creature of its own, in that it is super rare to find a hybrid design with solid-state output and tube power amp, I only know Luxman has this sort of hybrid as speaker amp with a headphone output. The result is a holographic sound with very affirmative and solid notes which combines the best of two worlds.

Mar 18, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #474 of 489
How was JH audio this time at the camjam?

anything exiciting other than Jolene?
I listened to Layla. It was excellent, really nice treble detail. Think I still liked Jolene more. Something about Jolene just pleases.

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #475 of 489
I haven't been there but I would like to thank all the HeadFi people for making these awesome videos available for the rest of the community that can't / couldn't attend the CanJam. Also thank you @mrspeakers for filling an important technical gap in our community, not just with the awesome HPs but also for elevating the awareness. This presentation is really a gold. Thank you!

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #476 of 489
As I just mentioned on FB, a picture is worth a thousand words. Here, to describe my CanJam NYC 2022 experience I had to use over 8 thousand words and 60 pictures, all partitioned and organized across multiple pages with easy to follow index at the end of each one. Enjoy the read!

canjam_nyc-2022-@cover_shot.jpg

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #478 of 489
My quick review. First CanJam I've attended, and I was only able to stay for 3 hours due to other commitments.
Saw Steve Guttenberg (the audiophiliac) at the Woo Audio room.
That day it was amazing to be back in New York City. No more lockdowns, tons of people out and about, about half the people masked.
Interesting to see lots of outdoor restaurants, and I saw that Times Square closed off more streets.

I got there earlyish on Sunday, lots of people already there for a Sunday morning.
First place I headed to was Woo Audio room to trial Abyss Headphones.
Tried the Meze Elite Empyreans on the new WA23. Great warm bass, very musical, comfortable. I love it.
Then I tried the Liric. Sounded a bit harsh but it has great imaging, sharp impactful bass. I really want to get a pair to try with my equipment. I didn't like the Lyric but I think it has a lot of potential.
I tried the Diana TC on the WA23. It was okay. A bit bass light but I think that had to do with more the amp. I pulled off the pads off my ears and more bass came in.
I wanted to like it but it was ... okay. It's comfortable though and lightweight.
Jack Wu prepared the AB1266. On the WA23 it sounded like cheap headphones but on the WA33, I heard all the things that gives the Abyss signature sound. I heard soundstage, imaging, and detail. Boy did I hear detail. One of the tracks that Jack played for me was U2 "With or without you". I could clearly hear the double tracking of Bono's voice. The Diana didn't reveal that. I didn't get a chance to listen to thunderous bass, but it was really good the way Jack prepared it.

Then I went to the Dan Clark audio room. There was too many people there but I did try the DC Voce electrostatic. It was very fast, and clear, but I felt it didn't stand out in any other way (compared to my Susvara).

I went to the general hall.
I tried the Audeze Mobius. It has great imaging and staging, but it also sounded like a low end headphone. but it's comfortable.
I wanted to try the LCD-5 but there was too many people.
Then I went to a vendor table that had Ferrum OORs and an Erco.
I tried the Focal Utopia. I don't know what went wrong, but it was bad. I suspect the OOR may have been set on high gain, but the Utopia sounded like every instrument was separate and loud. I liked the separation but having every thing loud was just bad.
Then I tried the Focal Clear Mg with one song. It was pretty good. I liked it, listening to a Soundgarden track. It was also comfortable.

One vendor had the Hifiman EF1000 with a Susvara. I listen to that with my own iPhone as a source. The EF1000 was amazing and validated my purchase of the Susvara, which at the time I had an A90 to power it. The Susvara was still the #1 headphone I experienced at CanJam despite listening to the AB1266. However I wish I listened to the LCD-5.

I hope next CanJam the pandemic would be completely over so I can spend the whole day there trying out IEMs and all the wonderful cans.
Everyone was nice, some were friendly, but overall I had a great time.

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #479 of 489
FB_opening_Img.jpg
We had an awesome time at CanJam New York this year and we’re excited to present a few upcoming products that we can’t wait to have in stock! The three things that we would like to present to you are: an all new portable DAC/Amp, a dedicated amplifier (this one is actually already shipping), and finally, we have a legendary DAC that’s well known in the community but is new to our lineup.

angel_hifiman_fb.jpg
The Earmen Audio Angel is hands down the most exciting new product that we had a chance to hear. It’s set to be priced just under the iFi Audio iDSD Diablo while offering much of the same power and performance. We are deeply impressed at how well it drove both the HIFIMAN Susvara and HE1000SE. From the 4.4mm balanced output Susvara had a taut bass response with natural and present mids alongside a sparkly top end. Plus, the Earmen team has built in some excellent quality of life features that make Angel stand out from its competitors. One such feature is an auto fade-in and fade-out upon start up and while muting the player or switching between gain stages. While Angel isn’t quite ready to ship out yet, we’re quite confident that it’ll be in stock soon, and we’ll provide more details as soon as we have them.

RAAL.jpg
The RAAL-requisite team captured our attention with their all new Direct Drive Variable Mode Tube Amp the VM-1a. Almost everyone who heard the RAAL-requisite SR-1a Ribbon Headphone and VM-1a combo felt as though it was hands down the best that they’ve heard RAAL-requisite’s ribbon headphone sound. There was no lack of bass texture, impact, or detail. The mid-range was simply beautiful and SR-1a had limitless top end air with no fatigue or sibilance. The initial production run of VM-1a has sold out and will be back in stock and shipping soon! As always, we will provide updates as we get them.

FB_newDac.jpg
Finally, while many already recognize the brand and product, we’re excited to feature the Border Patrol DAC as an upcoming product in our inventory. We do not have units in stock at the moment but we hope to have some soon. Anyone who has heard the @mrspeakers ,a.k.a Dan Clark Audio, Stealth with our HeadAmp GS-X Mini and this DAC can attest to how breathtakingly natural this set up sounds. It’s easily our favorite system with the Stealth!

Sue_DCA_brderptrl_gsx_fb.jpg

FB_T2.jpg
Oh! Before we go, we wanted to share something interesting and exciting with all of you. It appears that there may be a new electrostatic amplifier emerging based around the original STAX T2 circuit and design. We had a moment to listen to it and we appreciated the slightly different tuning and presentation it offered.
Any news about the new Earmen Angel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back