CanJam NYC 2023 (February 25-26, 2023)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #571 of 792

1676923534569.jpeg

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #573 of 792
Feb 20, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #574 of 792
Just to explain, we used to have a thread here on Head-Fi for the TMAC (Themed Monthly Avatar Committee). A few of us active posters would pick a theme, and then all change our avatars for a month.

For one of those months, we decided to do Jude January, where we all adopted avatars of Jude inserted into random movie posters. That Borat-inspired avatar was one of my submissions, amongst others.

https://www.head-fi.org/media/albums/jude-january.900252/

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #576 of 792
Just to explain, we used to have a thread here on Head-Fi for the TMAC (Themed Monthly Avatar Committee). A few of us active posters would pick a theme, and then all change our avatars for a month.

For one of those months, we decided to do Jude January, where we all adopted avatars of Jude inserted into random movie posters. That Borat-inspired avatar was one of my submissions, amongst others.

This is pure gold!

Also Mansilla March incoming?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #577 of 792
:ksc75smile:

Some things you just can't unsee.
I was JUST going to type the exact same words!!!
Can someone recommend a reputable hypnotist that can remove specific memories?

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #579 of 792

I'll wear my skimpiest polo.

you guys cracked me up 🤣🤣🤣

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #581 of 792
Also available as a living Google Doc that I’ll update as I remember new stuff and gather others’ suggestions

CanJam Mini-Guide To Times Square & Hell’s Kitchen​

By @azvargulis

I lived 5 blocks from the Mariott Marquis in Times Square for over 10 years, and moved away during the pandemic. I now live in Harlem, but many of my favorite places are still there. This is not meant to be a comprehensive guide, but just a quick few suggestions for fun spots where you won’t go wrong in the area, and that don’t show up on every list you Google. I’m intentionally not covering all of NYC, so if you want super special stuff outside of walking distance, find a way to message me or find other friendly locals to chat with.

General Notes​

Check out Times Square, but don’t eat or shop there - With very few exceptions, restaurants and shopping in the immediate vicinity of Times Square are tourist traps, and you’ll overpay for mediocre food or goods. But, if you haven’t seen Times Square itself, especially at night, do it at least once; it’s really cool. Then go eat, drink, and shop elsewhere.

You can do better than Restaurant Row (46th St between 8th & 9th Ave) - You’re getting closer to the good stuff, but you haven’t found the promised land yet. While much better than Times Square proper, these restaurants still lean touristy with mediocre menus. Keep going…

Hell’s Kitchen is where it’s at - If you want to eat or drink within a few minutes’ walk of CanJam, get to 9th or 10th Avenue. While a few tourist traps remain, they’re fewer and farther between, and typically super obvious. You’re more likely to go right than wrong, here.

Quick Bites​

Almost any place you spot will be perfectly fine for a snack or to grab a quick meal, but these are some that will be better than the average joint

Shake Shack (44th St & 8th Ave) - Yes it’s a chain, but it’s a good one, and it’s only two blocks from the hotel. Everything is tasty, but my go-to order is a Smoke Shack WITH a shroom burger patty added to it (on top - not a separate burger) and a fair-trade coffee shake.

Turco Mediterranean Grill (43rd St & 9th Ave) - Surprisingly tasty little Turkish joint. Anything with the gyro meat is awesome, but don’t pass over the sides either.

Taqueria Diana (39th St & 9th Ave) - Unassuming corner mexican place, but they make a mean burrito and quesadilla, and even their cocktails are solid. My go-to is an al pastor burrito or quesadilla, and if you want to live a little - add the guac.

Lazzarra’s Pizza (38th St betw. 7th & 8th Ave) - All pizza, like-for-like, in NYC is better than most other places, but just because the average pizza here is better than the average pizza elsewhere doesn’t mean you’ll get blown away at every pizza joint. Lazzarra’s is the closest place you can walk to that I’d consider “extra good”.

Sit-Down​

From cheap to expensive-ish, here are some great spots for dinner after a long day of listening, including one hidden gem that you’ll remember for a long time if you catch it on the right night.

***Trattoria Casa Di Isacco (9th Ave betw 39th & 40th) - This might be my personal best hot tip in all of NYC. This place looks like a shoddy tourist trap - but you’d be wrong. It is owned by a former Elvis impersonator named Isacc, and he still looks the part. Better yet, he’s usually there, and on weekends, he’s usually drunk, and he’s usually singing. Wait, wait, I’m not done. He typically has a blind pianist playing covers on weekends, and he’ll take ANY request. AC/DC? Done. Queen? Sure! Best of all, if you’re a fun hang, have a good time, and sing along, you are likely to get poured plenty of extra wine, on the house. The menu is good (not amazing, mind you, but good) and the dessert is better than you’d expect. But, in the end, you’re not coming here for the food. Sit inside. Isaac doesn’t tend to hang in the outside tent.

1600×900 250 KB

Yum Yum Too (46th St & 9th Ave) - Fairly inexpensive Thai place. Super casual, but really good for the price.

5 Napkin Burger (45th St & 9th Ave) - A chain, but a good one. Excellent beer menu, and delicious burgers. If you’re not sure what to get, just order the namesake 5 Napkin Burger. You won’t be sorry.

Sushiva (9th Ave betw. 43rd & 44th St) - A very unassuming sushi place that punches well above its appearance and (relatively inexpensive, for sushi) price tag. The fish tends to be extra fresh, well presented, and the chef’s special rolls are well balanced. If you’re not sure what to get, just grab a buddy and get the “Sushi & Sashimi for 2”.

The Meatball Shop (53rd St & 9th Ave) - Who knew meatballs could be this good!? Artisan meatball dishes, and mean ice cream sandwiches made with freshly baked cookies. Yum!

44 & X (44th St & 10th Ave) - Best brunch in the area. This is one of those places that looks, feels, and tastes way more expensive than it is.

Anejo (47th St & 10th Ave) - The dishes are more interesting than your typical Mexican restaurant, and the cocktail menu is awesome.

Pio Pio (10th Ave betw. 43rd & 44th St) - Absolutely fantastic Peruvian place with great food and cocktails. I’d recommend Juanita’s Chicken (yes, the chicken is one of the best dishes), or the Lomo Saltado.

Marseille (44th St & 9th Ave) - French place with an awesome oyster menu. More expensive (but not crazy expensive), and quite tasty.

Drinks & Bars​

There are better areas of NYC than Hell’s Kitchen to go “out out” (e.g. if you’re looking for a proper club or concerts), but for debating Utopia vs Susvara, and whether or not USB cables matter, you’ll have tons of really great options within a few blocks. Also keep in mind that many restaurants in NYC actually have really solid cocktail and beer menus, so you don’t have to find a “proper bar” to get a good drink (and vice versa).

Bea (43rd St & 9th Ave) - A good choice for tasty cocktails, and they have some good beers as well (albeit a limited selection). A smidge toward the trendy side, but not intimidatingly so.

Dalton’s Bar & Grill (43rd St & 9th Ave) - The Focal Utopia of sports bars. Not the best at anything, but does everything well, and in balance. Not too crowded but has plenty of patrons, good bar menu, plenty of good beers, bar and normal seating, excellent TV visibility, and conveniently located. Perfect if you need to catch a game, or even just to chat.

Rudy’s (9th Ave betw. 43rd & 44th St) - A proper dive bar with history. It is not fancy, but if you want a $4 beer in NYC, this is one of the places you’ll find it. They actually have some “real” beers too, so you can take your upscale friend along and they’ll survive (but only barely).

Mercury Bar (9th Ave betw. 45th & 46th St) - Just a solid generic bar that’s two blocks from the hotel. Not super touristy, large selection of decent drinks, and not too expensive. May get crowded on the weekend, so good if you want something a bit more hopping.

RT60 (48th St betw. 7th & 6th Ave) - This is for folks who want something clubby with a great view of midtown. Given its location, it will lean touristy, but locals do go here. Things don’t get really going until around 11pm or later, so if the club isn’t your scene, but you want the view, you can swing by a bit earlier and it won’t be too crazy. There are plenty of other rooftop bars in the area (just Google them), but I wanted to call this one out for those who want to dance nearby.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #582 of 792
***Trattoria Casa Di Isacco (9th Ave betw 39th & 40th) - This might be my personal best hot tip in all of NYC. This place looks like a shoddy tourist trap - but you’d be wrong. It is owned by a former Elvis impersonator named Isacc, and he still looks the part. Better yet, he’s usually there, and on weekends, he’s usually drunk, and he’s usually singing. Wait, wait, I’m not done. He typically has a blind pianist playing covers on weekends, and he’ll take ANY request. AC/DC? Done. Queen? Sure! Best of all, if you’re a fun hang, have a good time, and sing along, you are likely to get poured plenty of extra wine, on the house. The menu is good (not amazing, mind you, but good) and the dessert is better than you’d expect. But, in the end, you’re not coming here for the food. Sit inside. Isaac doesn’t tend to hang in the outside tent.

1600×900 250 KB

IIRC, they had some of the best espresso I've ever had. :coffee:

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #584 of 792
Also available as a living Google Doc that I’ll update as I remember new stuff and gather others’ suggestions

CanJam Mini-Guide To Times Square & Hell’s Kitchen​

By @azvargulis

I lived 5 blocks from the Mariott Marquis in Times Square for over 10 years, and moved away during the pandemic. I now live in Harlem, but many of my favorite places are still there. This is not meant to be a comprehensive guide, but just a quick few suggestions for fun spots where you won’t go wrong in the area, and that don’t show up on every list you Google. I’m intentionally not covering all of NYC, so if you want super special stuff outside of walking distance, find a way to message me or find other friendly locals to chat with.

General Notes​

Check out Times Square, but don’t eat or shop there - With very few exceptions, restaurants and shopping in the immediate vicinity of Times Square are tourist traps, and you’ll overpay for mediocre food or goods. But, if you haven’t seen Times Square itself, especially at night, do it at least once; it’s really cool. Then go eat, drink, and shop elsewhere.

You can do better than Restaurant Row (46th St between 8th & 9th Ave) - You’re getting closer to the good stuff, but you haven’t found the promised land yet. While much better than Times Square proper, these restaurants still lean touristy with mediocre menus. Keep going…

Hell’s Kitchen is where it’s at - If you want to eat or drink within a few minutes’ walk of CanJam, get to 9th or 10th Avenue. While a few tourist traps remain, they’re fewer and farther between, and typically super obvious. You’re more likely to go right than wrong, here.

Quick Bites​

Almost any place you spot will be perfectly fine for a snack or to grab a quick meal, but these are some that will be better than the average joint

Shake Shack (44th St & 8th Ave) - Yes it’s a chain, but it’s a good one, and it’s only two blocks from the hotel. Everything is tasty, but my go-to order is a Smoke Shack WITH a shroom burger patty added to it (on top - not a separate burger) and a fair-trade coffee shake.

Turco Mediterranean Grill (43rd St & 9th Ave) - Surprisingly tasty little Turkish joint. Anything with the gyro meat is awesome, but don’t pass over the sides either.

Taqueria Diana (39th St & 9th Ave) - Unassuming corner mexican place, but they make a mean burrito and quesadilla, and even their cocktails are solid. My go-to is an al pastor burrito or quesadilla, and if you want to live a little - add the guac.

Lazzarra’s Pizza (38th St betw. 7th & 8th Ave) - All pizza, like-for-like, in NYC is better than most other places, but just because the average pizza here is better than the average pizza elsewhere doesn’t mean you’ll get blown away at every pizza joint. Lazzarra’s is the closest place you can walk to that I’d consider “extra good”.

Sit-Down​

From cheap to expensive-ish, here are some great spots for dinner after a long day of listening, including one hidden gem that you’ll remember for a long time if you catch it on the right night.

1600×900 250 KB

Yum Yum Too (46th St & 9th Ave) - Fairly inexpensive Thai place. Super casual, but really good for the price.

5 Napkin Burger (45th St & 9th Ave) - A chain, but a good one. Excellent beer menu, and delicious burgers. If you’re not sure what to get, just order the namesake 5 Napkin Burger. You won’t be sorry.

Sushiva (9th Ave betw. 43rd & 44th St) - A very unassuming sushi place that punches well above its appearance and (relatively inexpensive, for sushi) price tag. The fish tends to be extra fresh, well presented, and the chef’s special rolls are well balanced. If you’re not sure what to get, just grab a buddy and get the “Sushi & Sashimi for 2”.

The Meatball Shop (53rd St & 9th Ave) - Who knew meatballs could be this good!? Artisan meatball dishes, and mean ice cream sandwiches made with freshly baked cookies. Yum!

44 & X (44th St & 10th Ave) - Best brunch in the area. This is one of those places that looks, feels, and tastes way more expensive than it is.

Anejo (47th St & 10th Ave) - The dishes are more interesting than your typical Mexican restaurant, and the cocktail menu is awesome.

Pio Pio (10th Ave betw. 43rd & 44th St) - Absolutely fantastic Peruvian place with great food and cocktails. I’d recommend Juanita’s Chicken (yes, the chicken is one of the best dishes), or the Lomo Saltado.

Marseille (44th St & 9th Ave) - French place with an awesome oyster menu. More expensive (but not crazy expensive), and quite tasty.

Drinks & Bars​

There are better areas of NYC than Hell’s Kitchen to go “out out” (e.g. if you’re looking for a proper club or concerts), but for debating Utopia vs Susvara, and whether or not USB cables matter, you’ll have tons of really great options within a few blocks. Also keep in mind that many restaurants in NYC actually have really solid cocktail and beer menus, so you don’t have to find a “proper bar” to get a good drink (and vice versa).

Bea (43rd St & 9th Ave) - A good choice for tasty cocktails, and they have some good beers as well (albeit a limited selection). A smidge toward the trendy side, but not intimidatingly so.

Dalton’s Bar & Grill (43rd St & 9th Ave) - The Focal Utopia of sports bars. Not the best at anything, but does everything well, and in balance. Not too crowded but has plenty of patrons, good bar menu, plenty of good beers, bar and normal seating, excellent TV visibility, and conveniently located. Perfect if you need to catch a game, or even just to chat.

Rudy’s (9th Ave betw. 43rd & 44th St) - A proper dive bar with history. It is not fancy, but if you want a $4 beer in NYC, this is one of the places you’ll find it. They actually have some “real” beers too, so you can take your upscale friend along and they’ll survive (but only barely).

Mercury Bar (9th Ave betw. 45th & 46th St) - Just a solid generic bar that’s two blocks from the hotel. Not super touristy, large selection of decent drinks, and not too expensive. May get crowded on the weekend, so good if you want something a bit more hopping.

RT60 (48th St betw. 7th & 6th Ave) - This is for folks who want something clubby with a great view of midtown. Given its location, it will lean touristy, but locals do go here. Things don’t get really going until around 11pm or later, so if the club isn’t your scene, but you want the view, you can swing by a bit earlier and it won’t be too crazy. There are plenty of other rooftop bars in the area (just Google them), but I wanted to call this one out for those who want to dance nearby.

Joe's Pizza on Broadway every night after midnight.

Original Halal Guys. 53rd St and 6th Ave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back