CanJam @ RMAF 2017 (October 6-8, 2017) Impressions!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #93 of 373
HD 660S... Anybody hear them at the show?

62480185.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #95 of 373
One thing I noticed is that companies finally realized there is a gigantic empty space at 500~1000 dollar range. Nighthawk and HD700 are just not going to cut it, so it is good to see several headphones are priced at 600 dollars to feel the gap.

Firstly thank you very much for all the insightful impressions.

I absolutely agree with what you wrote right there - I think there is a colossal open space in the 500 to 1000 dollar range and I'm glad companies are finally catching onto it, especially with headphones that seem to punch way over their asking price. While that may not the most interesting price bracket for a lot of the attendees and public in general, it is the one I currently find most interesting myself and I think it's a market that needs to be targeted; I'm very glad to see it finally happening.

That said, what I'm looking the most forward to is some sort of comparison between the new offerings within that range - 1. LCD2C. 2. The AEON (mostly the opens, but also the closed). 3. the Nightowl/Nighthawks (which I still find relevant as they are, imo, gorgeous sounding headphones), 4. the Elear (which I'm sure will be able to be found for around 600-700 new very soon).

I might be missing something else here but those are the ones I'd be super keen to see people comment on.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #97 of 373
Firstly thank you very much for all the insightful impressions.

I absolutely agree with what you wrote right there - I think there is a colossal open space in the 500 to 1000 dollar range and I'm glad companies are finally catching onto it, especially with headphones that seem to punch way over their asking price. While that may not the most interesting price bracket for a lot of the attendees and public in general, it is the one I currently find most interesting myself and I think it's a market that needs to be targeted; I'm very glad to see it finally happening.

That said, what I'm looking the most forward to is some sort of comparison between the new offerings within that range - 1. LCD2C. 2. The AEON (mostly the opens, but also the closed). 3. the Nightowl/Nighthawks (which I still find relevant as they are, imo, gorgeous sounding headphones), 4. the Elear (which I'm sure will be able to be found for around 600-700 new very soon).

I might be missing something else here but those are the ones I'd be super keen to see people comment on.
1990 Pros?

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #98 of 373
1990 Pros?

Very true, and the Amiron Home. Thank you for the reminder, I admittedly tend to forget about those two as I've never been a fan of Beyerdynamic's open headphones for pleasure listening but most reviews seem to be very positive - I really don't know if, despite them being widely liked, those two can compete with the likes of the AEON, Elear and LCD2 but maybe I'm wrong, would love to know.

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #101 of 373
Very true, and the Amiron Home. Thank you for the reminder, I admittedly tend to forget about those two as I've never been a fan of Beyerdynamic's open headphones for pleasure listening but most reviews seem to be very positive - I really don't know if, despite them being widely liked, those two can compete with the likes of the AEON, Elear and LCD2 but maybe I'm wrong, would love to know.
They can compete with the Aeon (closed). I own the Aeon and tried the DT1990s for a few days. They actually have a fairly similar tonality and presentation in that they sound great with most genres of music. Plus, they've mostly fixed the "Beyer burn" on the 1990. Overall, they're in the same caliber of headphones and I'd be happy with either. If I had to choose, I'd stick with the Aeon given its isolation which is very important for me.

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #103 of 373
@Sennheiser, how can you guys hide this can? The HD600/650 is the can that made your brand famous on this and many other sites. I feel that there is something wrong here. Just saying.....
Where are the bells and whistles?

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #104 of 373
@Sennheiser, how can you guys hide this can? The HD600/650 is the can that made your brand famous on this and many other sites. I feel that there is something wrong here. Just saying.....
Where are the bells and whistles?

Is a marketing strategy, "mouth to mouth" ("forum to forum" in this case).
Keep in mind that the RMAF video announced A LOT of new high end headphones, this is a good way to distract people from other now well known new products and focus their attention on the new "mysterious, uber HD650"

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #105 of 373
I heard the D8000, it was nice. I mean, they were running it from a Dave. Not $3,000 nice IMO but hey.... it sounded good. I'm a $500 max headphone kind of guy. I was also impressed by the Mojo on my heavily modded K702s (That I prefer over my old HE-560, much more resolving). Not many people brought their own cans that I saw, though.. I am amp/dac shopping at the moment so figured I would bring my daily drivers to shop around. Did try the Utopia, it was good but..again.. not for the price. Liked the new Mr. Speakers open back headphone, though, again.. sub $2000 is a no go for me, even if I can afford it.

Other random thoughts:

The FiiO guys were friendly, I wish the X5iii had the power of the X7 Mark 2 as I enjoyed the X5iii's signature. It probably rocks with the A5. X7M2 is very dry and neutral, if you are into that.

Mojo impressed me. I've been wanting to lay ears on it for some time as an Ifi iDSD BL owner. Not that it bested my kit, just had a different presentation that I liked. The gent I was talking to was very shy about telling me Poly's pricing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back