Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Sep 10, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #4,186 of 6,488
Just added the 300B socket savers/risers to the amp, and I am extremely happy with the results. The Elrog's bases are flush and level with the rest of the sockets in the amp now, and tube rolling going forward will be a breeze. Another added benefit, is they are higher up now from the chassis and get better ventilation as well.

I highly recommended them, and these are the one's I bought. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011987107...VfNWCSSTQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
They are super high quality heavy ceramic bases with gold plated connections. The Elrog's seated smooth and firmly into the sockets, and it really can't get any better if you ask me. These look very similar to the quality one's that Woo Audio sells for a lot more.

Screenshot_20230910_162144_eBay.jpg

20230910_154259.jpg

I also, rolled back in a quad of Russian 6C8C 54', and they sound incredible paired up with a full quad of Japanese 22DE4 Black Plates. The Russian's really are every bit as good but also completely different compared to the Mullard and GEC VR135/CV6. It's awesome having such amazing options. The GEC VR135 are also fantastic as well, and are up on deck. Having those 3 options for driver tubes is just flat out awesome.
Im finding good in every set of tubes i listen too ... but some just lack the dynamics. Even so, I still gravitate back to the Mullards with the Susvara. Perfect for me and so cheap compared to some! Looks damn cool too! Would love to try your russians, and the black sicte, but chance would be a fine thing. I havent once seen a Sicte 22de4 sinve reading about yours 4 months ago?!

The Cayin is a brilliant amp taken to dizzying heights.

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #4,187 of 6,488
Just added the 300B socket savers/risers to the amp, and I am extremely happy with the results. The Elrog's bases are flush and level with the rest of the sockets in the amp now, and tube rolling going forward will be a breeze. Another added benefit, is they are higher up now from the chassis and get better ventilation as well.

I highly recommended them, and these are the one's I bought. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011987107...VfNWCSSTQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
They are super high quality heavy ceramic bases with gold plated connections. The Elrog's seated smooth and firmly into the sockets, and it really can't get any better if you ask me. These look very similar to the quality one's that Woo Audio sells for a lot more.

Screenshot_20230910_162144_eBay.jpg

20230910_154259.jpg

I also, rolled back in a quad of Russian 6C8C 54', and they sound incredible paired up with a full quad of Japanese 22DE4 Black Plates. The Russian's really are every bit as good but also completely different compared to the Mullard and GEC VR135/CV6. It's awesome having such amazing options. The GEC VR135 are also fantastic as well, and are up on deck. Having those 3 options for driver tubes is just flat out awesome.

That raisers are nice to do 300B rolling because the tubes are in the hole and you cannot pull from the base.

I have been doing comparisons with the different outputs and headphones. Definitely both Caldera and Atrium sounds far better in RCA+6.35, they sound unnaturaly clean and aggresive when using XLR+4pin; however, the XLR+4pin is the best for the Susvara and get the maximum of these headphones.

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #4,188 of 6,488
That raisers are nice to do 300B rolling because the tubes are in the hole and you cannot pull from the base.

I have been doing comparisons with the different outputs and headphones. Definitely both Caldera and Atrium sounds far better in RCA+6.35, they sound unnaturaly clean and aggresive when using XLR+4pin; however, the XLR+4pin is the best for the Susvara and get the maximum of these headphones.
I split the difference and use XLR in and 6.35 out, and it sure is nice to have the options.

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #4,190 of 6,488
found a cv6 set that look pretty much identical internally, i can't wait :dt880smile: (thank you @Wes S for sending me a suggestion for a good set too)
Glad to help, and I am looking forward to hearing how they work out for you.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #4,191 of 6,488
As good as the Mullard CV6/VR135 are (they really are the best technically), there is just something special about the Russian 6C8C 54' that keeps me coming back to them. The Russian's are weightier and more euphonic, and are more open sounding in the mids, with smoother highs. They aren't quite as detailed as the Mullard's, but they are more forgiving and fun as heck.

20230915_081855.jpg

Got to love some early morning tube glow. :grin:

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #4,192 of 6,488
One more roll for today, and it's time for the OG version of this tube type, the GEC (Z/Hammersmith) VR135 Welded Plate. :grin:

20230915_143247.jpg

Coming from the Russian's, the GEC WP are more transparent, tighter and detailed top to bottom, with more forward/present mids (especially vocals), and bass that is tighter, that actually has startlingly killer slam and grip when called for, and more sparkle up top that doesn't ever sound harsh or unnatural. The GEC WP just do everything right and make the headphones disappear.

Compared to the Mullard's the GEC WP have just as much detail, but the Mullard's sound faster and more hifi-like (hyper detailed) with excellent PRAT being their standout trait, with the GEC WP being the more natural and lifelike sounding of the two.

As for the GEC Welded Plates standout traits, they are very well balanced top to bottom, super impactful and "grippy" :thinking: when called for, are harmonically rich and euphonically textured yet highly detailed at the same time, and with all that they seemingly just get out of the way and sound so hauntingly natural and lifelike it's nuts. This is my #1 driver tube.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #4,196 of 6,488

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back