Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Sep 16, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #4,201 of 6,488
good to hear. which 300b tubes did you go for?

I've ordered the Elrog Mo.

My timing was good. Thomas at Elrog had just finished a Elrog 300b Mo production run and I was able to get a pair that hadn't been claimed. Hoping they'll be ship out sometime next week.

Sep 16, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #4,202 of 6,488
Well all the parts and pieces have arrived. Rack and amp and interconnects. Upgraded 300Bs have been ordered.

Hoping to get everything assembled and built at some point this weekend. Amp all set up...

More to come.
Which rack did you buy? Is one of the few things pending for me. I was thinking on get the Solidsteel S5-3 because it fits perfect in my room and same height than my desk.

Sep 16, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #4,203 of 6,488
@KrauserX91
I found mine on Etsy, from a carpenter located in Latvia. It's oak and threaded steel rod. Etsy won't let me save a picture from the app but here is a screen shot of the rack. Mine is 4-tier and I did a natural finish.

Screenshot_20230916_143254_Etsy.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #4,204 of 6,488
One more roll for today, and it's time for the OG version of this tube type, the GEC (Z/Hammersmith) VR135 Welded Plate. :grin:

20230915_143247.jpg

Coming from the Russian's, the GEC WP are more transparent, tighter and detailed top to bottom, with more forward/present mids (especially vocals), and bass that is tighter, that actually has startlingly killer slam and grip when called for, and more sparkle up top that doesn't ever sound harsh or unnatural. The GEC WP just do everything right and make the headphones disappear.

Compared to the Mullard's the GEC WP have just as much detail, but the Mullard's sound faster and more hifi-like (hyper detailed) with excellent PRAT being their standout trait, with the GEC WP being the more natural and lifelike sounding of the two.

As for the GEC Welded Plates standout traits, they are very well balanced top to bottom, super impactful and "grippy" :thinking: when called for, are harmonically rich and euphonically textured yet highly detailed at the same time, and with all that they seemingly just get out of the way and sound so hauntingly natural and lifelike it's nuts. This is my #1 driver tube.
Close up pictures of the GEC welded plates?

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #4,207 of 6,488
I've been spending some time lately with yet ANOTHER 6sn7 substitute, the 6J5. Not much mention of these with the HA-300, but they seem popular in other 300b amp forums. So I HAD to take the plunge.

Primarily I've been listening to a quad of Brimar 6J5G/CV1067, having had them in for about 2 weeks straight. I'm not sure how old those tubes are, but I would guess old-ish based on the construction (oval plates and dimpled foil getters).

These sound really nice. They are a jack of all trades, master of none. They have really nice, textured, detailed bass, but it lacks the impact and quantity of the CV6/VR135. The treble is detailed and just slightly sweet, which is to my preference, but lacks ultimate extension. The staging approaches the 3d-ness of Melz 1578, but isn't quite as expansive.

Where they do shine is in the mid range. It's just a bit forward, detailed, a bit warm - just great presence overall. It's like there's a spotlight shining on the midrange instruments. In some ways this reminds me of Raytheon WWII-era VT-231, which have a similar quality. If you're familiar with those, you'll get a sense of the Brimars' tonality. Though the Brimars are much more technically proficient overall. These are great jazz/classical/folk tubes, anything on the more relaxing side, but with enough technicalities to do justice to faster/more complex genres.

BUT, being so close to the best of tubes in all categories, these are definitely near the top of my list. A tube I could live with, but of course I won't because I live that tube-rolling life.

I've also spent a bit of time with 1951 Sylvania round plate 6J5. These are just about DEAD silent, which is nice. I generally like the Sylvania house sound...but these depart a bit too much from that. Nicely even, maybe slightly on the bright side, clean sounding. But lacking in the midrange in comparison to other tubes, which is unfortunately most important to me. Maybe further burn-in will bring in the bass and mids. But so far, good but not my favourite.

And finally I just got in a quad of GEC L63, 1963 made in Hammersmith. I've only had a few days with these. They have almost no "personality" whatsoever, I don't hear any part of the frequency more or less than any other. Good extension on either end. Extended treble without being too hot. These are very immediate-sounding tubes, with the stage large and in your face. Impression of being on the stage, right in front of the band. Not much of a sense of space. Not necessarily a bad thing for me, but others may disagree. Also, very nice texture and tactility to the music, again emphasizing that right-there-with-the-band feeling. I can see these being a great rock tube, and to me there's not too many of these in the 6sn7 family. But these may change with more time.

Overall, 6J5s may be my favourite 6sn7 substitute, surpassing 6F8G. It's like the linearity of the 6F8G with a bit more life and realism. But I haven't heard every tube yet. I really wanted to like the CV6/VR135, but they're just too noisy in my MK1 for everyday use.

Sorry about the long post. Geez, I went on and on...

Sep 17, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #4,208 of 6,488
I've been spending some time lately with yet ANOTHER 6sn7 substitute, the 6J5. Not much mention of these with the HA-300, but they seem popular in other 300b amp forums. So I HAD to take the plunge.

Primarily I've been listening to a quad of Brimar 6J5G/CV1067, having had them in for about 2 weeks straight. I'm not sure how old those tubes are, but I would guess old-ish based on the construction (oval plates and dimpled foil getters).

These sound really nice. They are a jack of all trades, master of none. They have really nice, textured, detailed bass, but it lacks the impact and quantity of the CV6/VR135. The treble is detailed and just slightly sweet, which is to my preference, but lacks ultimate extension. The staging approaches the 3d-ness of Melz 1578, but isn't quite as expansive.

Where they do shine is in the mid range. It's just a bit forward, detailed, a bit warm - just great presence overall. It's like there's a spotlight shining on the midrange instruments. In some ways this reminds me of Raytheon WWII-era VT-231, which have a similar quality. If you're familiar with those, you'll get a sense of the Brimars' tonality. Though the Brimars are much more technically proficient overall. These are great jazz/classical/folk tubes, anything on the more relaxing side, but with enough technicalities to do justice to faster/more complex genres.

BUT, being so close to the best of tubes in all categories, these are definitely near the top of my list. A tube I could live with, but of course I won't because I live that tube-rolling life.

I've also spent a bit of time with 1951 Sylvania round plate 6J5. These are just about DEAD silent, which is nice. I generally like the Sylvania house sound...but these depart a bit too much from that. Nicely even, maybe slightly on the bright side, clean sounding. But lacking in the midrange in comparison to other tubes, which is unfortunately most important to me. Maybe further burn-in will bring in the bass and mids. But so far, good but not my favourite.

And finally I just got in a quad of GEC L63, 1963 made in Hammersmith. I've only had a few days with these. They have almost no "personality" whatsoever, I don't hear any part of the frequency more or less than any other. Good extension on either end. Extended treble without being too hot. These are very immediate-sounding tubes, with the stage large and in your face. Impression of being on the stage, right in front of the band. Not much of a sense of space. Not necessarily a bad thing for me, but others may disagree. Also, very nice texture and tactility to the music, again emphasizing that right-there-with-the-band feeling. I can see these being a great rock tube, and to me there's not too many of these in the 6sn7 family. But these may change with more time.

Overall, 6J5s may be my favourite 6sn7 substitute, surpassing 6F8G. It's like the linearity of the 6F8G with a bit more life and realism. But I haven't heard every tube yet. I really wanted to like the CV6/VR135, but they're just too noisy in my MK1 for everyday use.

Sorry about the long post. Geez, I went on and on...
I have many types in NOS of the 6J5. I built a preamp around them and got everything just right for bias etc. They are a good sounding tube but IMO, the 7193 types throw more depth, better separation and are more transparent. I have tried them in the 300BII, many different ones and enjoyed them but not as much as the CV6/7193 etc.

Sep 17, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #4,209 of 6,488
I have many types in NOS of the 6J5. I built a preamp around them and got everything just right for bias etc. They are a good sounding tube but IMO, the 7193 types throw more depth, better separation and are more transparent. I have tried them in the 300BII, many different ones and enjoyed them but not as much as the CV6/7193 etc.
I can’t disagree, the GEC CV6/Mullard VR135 are great sounding tubes. Such a unique, powerful sound. For my ears, in my system, they have 2 faults: the noise, which got better after resoldering but is still strong, and I find the treble just a bit harsh. It definitely seems I'm a bit more treble sensitive than average, though.

But that's why it's great to have so many options. And why I have to personally try every single tube I can get to work in my amp :)

Sep 17, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #4,210 of 6,488
I can’t disagree, the GEC CV6/Mullard VR135 are great sounding tubes. Such a unique, powerful sound. For my ears, in my system, they have 2 faults: the noise, which got better after resoldering but is still strong, and I find the treble just a bit harsh. It definitely seems I'm a bit more treble sensitive than average, though.

But that's why it's great to have so many options. And why I have to personally try every single tube I can get to work in my amp :)
Tube dependent. I have a few with noise but most are very quiet and that is with sensitive headphones, the iBasso SR3. And for treble, again seems to be tube dependent and not just the manufacturer.

Also the solder used to resolder with. I use Cardas for more sensitive tubes for higher frequencies and WBT silver for most everything else. Wonder Solder can also work well, depending on the situation and flows very well.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #4,211 of 6,488

All of my CV6 are silent on the susvaras as are my 7193 and 2c22's. I have heard one CV6 making the odd noise ... but when i switch sides, it goes away ... weird eh? I also have a Tungsol VT231 like that! Never heard a noise after switching left/right. The only tube to fail me to date was the Elrog.

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #4,212 of 6,488
All of my CV6 are silent on the susvaras as are my 7193 and 2c22's. I have heard one CV6 making the odd noise ... but when i switch sides, it goes away ... weird eh? I also have a Tungsol VT231 like that! Never heard a noise after switching left/right. The only tube to fail me to date was the Elrog.
The benefit of insensitive planars! The Expanse make everything shush. But the GEC CV6 are noisy in my amp even with an LCD-4, which I’ve never had before. I am going to try moving the tubes around, because that does indeed work, some how. I swear sometimes audio is more voodoo than science.

What happened with your Elrog?

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #4,213 of 6,488
Having some fun listening to Michael Jackson and Thriller on DSD. Using the Sony R-10. You can really drift off into the recording venue and forget you are listening with headphones.

Sep 17, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #4,214 of 6,488
I've ordered the Elrog Mo.

My timing was good. Thomas at Elrog had just finished a Elrog 300b Mo production run and I was able to get a pair that hadn't been claimed. Hoping they'll be ship out sometime next week.
I am inevitable.gif

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #4,215 of 6,488
After spending time with HA-300 V.1 for 4 years, I decided to upgrade capacitors ( to Duelund Capacitor CAST-PIO-Hybrid Cu/Ag ) , power supply cable ( to shop OEM ) and input connector ( to Furutech FI-03 Gold plate, unluckily Rhodium is out-of-stock ) yesterday at my country distributor. Initially, the results seem to be clearer, fuller, and more powerful sound.

S__27328533_0.jpg
S__27328535_0.jpg
S__27328537_0.jpg
S__27328540_0.jpg
S__27328542_0.jpg
S__27328543_0.jpg
S__27328547_0.jpg
S__27328546_0.jpg
S__27328548_0.jpg
S__27328552_0.jpg
S__27328553_0.jpg
S__27328554_0.jpg