Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #2,101 of 2,282
This is not a problem, I have now moved the device a little closer to the wall, the cables that are now directly on the wall hold the plugs in place.

I have a RCA switch, even a very good one, but for my taste it doesn't fit into the overall picture.

IMG_2448.jpeg

At best, I could put the Switch next to the Euforia...
Hi Lousiana, how fortuitous. You have three products that I am interested in purchasing. Between the Felix's Euforia and the HA-3A, which of the two are you spending more time listening to? Also, is the Feliks worth the price jump? Thank you.

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #2,102 of 2,282
Hi Dexterama, Thanks for the response. What headphones are you using with the HA-3A? Is there any unusual humming emanating from the amp? As there are no balanced inputs, how do the balanced headphone outputs sound? Is the amp wider than a 5K 27" iMac? Sorry, only desktop width reference I could think of at the moment.
Hi,

I’m using the Hifiman HE1000se with HA-3A. I don’t hear humming from any outputs at either low, medium, or high impedance setting. I keep it at medium for personal preference. I connect HA-3A from my Gold Note AMP/DAC using a pair of XLR cables (Mogami Gold Studio XLR Female to XLR Male Microphone Cable). The balanced headphone output sounds clear to me. I prefer XLR headphone out for my HE1000se because I don’t have to turn volume up so high.

HA-3A is smaller in width than the 27” iMac. The HA-3A (12.05” width) is about 1/4” smaller in width than 14” Mackbook Pro (12.31” width).

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #2,103 of 2,282
Hi,

I’m using the Hifiman HE1000se with HA-3A. I don’t hear humming from any outputs at either low, medium, or high impedance setting. I keep it at medium for personal preference. I connect HA-3A from my Gold Note AMP/DAC using a pair of XLR cables (Mogami Gold Studio XLR Female to XLR Male Microphone Cable). The balanced headphone output sounds clear to me. I prefer XLR headphone out for my HE1000se because I don’t have to turn volume up so high.

HA-3A is smaller in width than the 27” iMac. The HA-3A (12.05” width) is about 1/4” smaller in width than 14” Mackbook Pro (12.31” width).
Thanks, Dexterama. It seems that the HA-3A may be a better value proposition. For me, customer service and support is a deciding factor when making purchases. Have you ever needed to reach out to Cayin?

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #2,104 of 2,282
Got the Focal Utopia 2022 in house for a few days and what a headphone! The HA-3A runs it perfectly using the XLR balanced cable and on high impedence. There is the dynamic driver background hissing issue but the issue goes away once music starts playing and you forget about.

1000031007.jpg1000031008.jpg
Hey Abyss22, not sure what you are conveying when you say the hissing goes away when you start playing music. Hissing from dynamic driver headphones is a concern. As I would be buying this amp to run with ZMF VC and Atrium. By the way, your skull headphone stands are freaking awesome!

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #2,105 of 2,282
Thanks, Dexterama. It seems that the HA-3A may be a better value proposition. For me, customer service and support is a deciding factor when making purchases. Have you ever needed to reach out to Cayin?
You’re welcome.

I bought my HA-3A from an authorized dealer (AD). I did have an issue with my unit not turning on at one point. The AD was responsive and helped me troubleshoot. I found issue to be with the stock power cable. I think I damaged it when I moved the unit and cable detached while power was still turned on. It’s inexpensive and easy to replace so I bought a new cable.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #2,106 of 2,282
delete—duplicate

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #2,107 of 2,282
Hey Abyss22, not sure what you are conveying when you say the hissing goes away when you start playing music. Hissing from dynamic driver headphones is a concern. As I would be buying this amp to run with ZMF VC and Atrium. By the way, your skull headphone stands are freaking awesome!
I don't have the ZMF headphones but hiss will also depend on the tubes you have. I have zero hiss/noise with the stock tubes with my 660S2, which is more sensitive than your mentioned headphones (with similar impedance). I get very minor hiss on high gain unbalanced. On the RFT ECC82 tubes I get zero hiss even on high gain. There are many low noise tubes to choose from. But that's my 2 cents. I'm sure someone with your headphones will chime in.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #2,108 of 2,282
Zach provided some tips that may help if hearing noise when using ZMF headphones with HA-3A.

Page 22 of current thread

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #2,109 of 2,282
I absolutely love the blue glow of the properly warmed up Bendix tubes. (Picture saturation slightly enhanced.)
On a different note, my first E80CC tubes (Mullards) are coming in a few days. I am really interested to hear how they differ to some already fabulous 12AU7s.

PXL_20240429_222007835.NIGHT~3.jpg
PXL_20240429_222406569.NIGHT~2.jpg

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #2,110 of 2,282
Its background noise so when you have the headphone plugged in but no music is playing. It only happens with dynamic driver headphones with this amp but when I start playing music you cant even hear the background noise and you forget its even there so it was a non issue for me when listening to music.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #2,111 of 2,282
I absolutely love the blue glow of the properly warmed up Bendix tubes. (Picture saturation slightly enhanced.)
On a different note, my first E80CC tubes (Mullards) are coming in a few days. I am really interested to hear how they differ to some already fabulous 12AU7s.

PXL_20240429_222007835.NIGHT~3.jpg
PXL_20240429_222406569.NIGHT~2.jpg
Those are the 6V6GTY? Mine don't appear to glow blue at all - I thought only the 5992's did.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #2,112 of 2,282
Those are the 6V6GTY? Mine don't appear to glow blue at all - I thought only the 5992's did.
I bought them as GTYs. The glow is a little less apparent in real life than it shows on the pictures (but even more beautiful), and it is clearly there. I was very pleasantly surprised yesterday when I discovered it. The tubes were hot after 5-6 hours on and the room was a little darker late night with only a little lamp on.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #2,113 of 2,282
I bought them as GTYs. The glow is a little less apparent in real life than it shows on the pictures (but even more beautiful), and it is clearly there. I was very pleasantly surprised yesterday when I discovered it. The tubes were hot after 5-6 hours on and the room was a little darker late night with only a little lamp on.
Interesting, I will keep a closer look under similar circumstances and see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back