Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Jan 19, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #1,906 of 2,518
@seanwee What exactly do you mean by "crashing the app", is it like a forced restart or what? I've never had anything that I would call an actual crash, but sometimes the UI becomes unresponsive for 2-3 seconds, like pressing a few keys in quick succession and then it eventually gets there in a bit.
But my simple folder structure (2-3 levels) which mostly just means "albums in root folder" seems ideal here.
It just freezes then restarts.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #1,907 of 2,518
I like having the choice between the three sound signatures

solid state and the two tube settings

i usually either carry two iems terminated at 4.4mm and 3.5mm or a spare cable.

i find different music goes with different settings.

i might be and outlier with it - but i find myself often using the Solid Sate amp with 4.4mm.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,910 of 2,518
This is not the situation we have discovered in our past discussion in HERE, HERE and HERE. No one is having any problem with 4 levels of subfolders, someone reported system crashed at 5 levels of folder hierarchy, and when we test the limit, we start to hit into problem at 7th level (yes, the 6th level folders works fine in our test).
Ah I think I encountered a crash for a different reason and just assumed it was due to the directory structure. When it turns out it might've been because the album cover art is too large for the operating system. Thanks for the info!

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #1,911 of 2,518
Just got an N3 Pro and I'm already having a number of issues.

When browsing through folders, if I go too deep the device just freezes then restarts. So I let it scan for songs a build a library but after that when i try to use folder explorer it's all messed up and shows all songs out of their folders.

Has anyone experienced these problems before and how can I fix it?
Well thats a bummer.

@Andykong maybe Cayin could implement a loading bar to compensate for the slower processor speed? Rather than just crash outright when the processor can't finish the task instantly. Or maybe cut down on UI cosmetics to free up more resources for the cpu, or maybe make the disable album art toggle disable album art when browsing folders as well.

It can definitely be done, the Ingenic X1000 is a widely used cpu in daps and yet only the N8 and N3 Pro have issues with folder browsing.
Any clue why this is happening? Folder browsing should be a trivial task.

Other daps with the Ingenic X1000 cpu don't have this problem so there must be something wrong with the code. The original Cayin N3 worked flawlessly so its not like Cayin hasn't made good daps with this cpu before.
@Cayin @CayinSupport

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,912 of 2,518
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 21, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #1,913 of 2,518
For the record, I didn't dismiss you, but I can't continue the dialogue when you don't accept my answer. I have told you that we need an alternative power supply path so that you can switch between charging and not-charging in the menu, we don't have that in N3Pro, so that is not feasible. You asked me 100 time, and you get the same answer 100 times. I can't comment on the implementation of other brands, other products, and I don't think you are certain that they didn't have the alternative power supply path build in as I have explained, you only see the menu choice, you didn't know their power management design. which is something you can't observe even when open up the chassis - unless you have special vision that can see through the circuit inside multi-layer PCB.
Thank you for the reply Andy. I asked again, not to harass but because I didn’t understand, and I accept I will have to leave it like that, this isn’t the place to request a lecture on the subject. At least I know I’ve been heard. I don’t know the first thing about electrical engineering, nor how other brands go about it, all I see is the end result and I do not want to be that armchair speccer who writes stuff like “oh you just have to include this or that” like it’s a breeze.

Well there’s one thing I do know about engineering in general: it’s damn hard and always a question of priorities. I have the solution above for DAC use and I’m satisfied with it - because it gives me mobile tubes and that’s my priority!

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,914 of 2,518
Getting quite a bit of ringing in the left channel. This happens randomly with no movement and it's quite loud. Anybody else experience this? This is of course tube ultralinear mode.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,915 of 2,518
Getting quite a bit of ringing in the left channel. This happens randomly with no movement and it's quite loud. Anybody else experience this? This is of course tube ultralinear mode.
I periodically get a very small amount of ring, maybe left side, when I turn Tube mode on but it stops quickly. Hope you get that sorted!

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #1,917 of 2,518
Now I noticed it happened right after I was carrying it around. Stable it seems fine now. I think I've just been handling it too rough. I'm not used to tubes. :) or maybe the firmware upgrade helped, just upgraded it.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #1,919 of 2,518
I still am amazed at the musicality and connection with the music provided by the n3pro - i use it mainly with hd25 alu (modified) and i have found triode best for my choice of music which is mostly vocal from all genres and times.

My only niggle is the inability to play all of an artists tracks randomly which apparently is beyond the ability of the processor although i have a dx120 which is non-android and this can achieve it.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #1,920 of 2,518
I still am amazed at the musicality and connection with the music provided by the n3pro - i use it mainly with hd25 alu (modified) and i have found triode best for my choice of music which is mostly vocal from all genres and times.

My only niggle is the inability to play all of an artists tracks randomly which apparently is beyond the ability of the processor although i have a dx120 which is non-android and this can achieve it.
The N3Pro is very very good sounding. No doubt about that. But software wise it can really use some optimisation.

Come on Cayin, software optimisation is all you need to make this dap perfect. If other manufacturers can make fully functioned daps with this cpu, why can't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back