Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 2, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #4,816 of 8,196
So UAPP with respect to Qobuz / Tidal integration is similar to Roon with Qobuz that I run on my PC - access to local files and streaming from within one app. May I suppose that UAPP + Qobuz might have similar minor deficiencies as Roon + Qobuz has? For example, Roon doesn‘t get the full results from searching on Qobuz, and it seems to miss a bit of the editorial content. No biggie at all...

I use UAPP solely for playback of my own Qobuz playlists. I don't use UAPP for searching for content on Qobuz. For that I use the Qobuz desktop app and Audirvana desktop. Having said that, I've just checked in UAPP and there is a 'Discover' feature in the Qobuz section. If I go into that I see:

• New Releases
  • Playlists Qobuz
  • Most Streamed
  • Bestsellers
  • Selected by Qobuz
  • Press Awards
  • Most-Featured

There is also a free-text search feature. So I imagine you do get some capability that's in the native Qobuz app.

The issue you experience with Roon might be related to the list pagination of Qobuz search results. I know in the Qobuz app, when I view one of my playlists that contains 300+ songs, I have to hit the three vertical dots to view the full playlists. I then start scrolling through the tracks and every so often I have to 'load more' tracks that are in the playlist. In other words, the entire search results are not returned in one go. Could this be the same issue that you are experiencing in Roon with Qobuz? I have never used Roon, by the way. I'm just aware of the listing pagination feature as I though most of my songs had disappeared from one of my playlists! For comparison, I don't see this pagination occurring in TIDAL.

Could you give me an example of a search term that produces truncated search results in Roon? I can try it for you in UAPP and let you know what I get back.

Aug 2, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #4,817 of 8,196
Since I mentioned this before, about @ddHiFi case for N6ii, I finally got one today and just did a quick test and a handful of close ups. Actually, a very cool design where the DAP slides from the side and flip cover tucks in securely, but can also be open to access micro SD card on the side. All the corners are protected, and N6ii won't slide out if you pull on the cable. The cutout at the top is generous enough to accommodate port opening for all the modular boards. HW transport control buttons are covered and easy to feel. Overall, case fits N6ii like a glove, and oil waxed cowhide leather feels nice. And, yes, you can have motherboard card without screws and it will stay in secure.

ddhifi-n6ii-case-02.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-03.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-04.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-05.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-06.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-07.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-08.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-09.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-11.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-12.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-13.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-14.jpg

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #4,818 of 8,196
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #4,819 of 8,196
So last month I ordered a Lotoo PAW S1 dongle and was quite taken with its sound. I then ordered an PAW 6000 thinking it may replace my Cayin. After a while I went back to my n6ii + E01 and found that I much prefer its more punchy, liquid and engaging sound. It really is a magical source for my Solaris SE, even if it hisses just a touch. I'm currently contemplating picking up an E02-- has anyone heard an E02 with Solaris or Andro? Comments? (Also, is there any word on a new board for the n6ii any time soon?)

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #4,820 of 8,196
a new soundcard for n6mk2 is on its way, likely to be released this month and it’s call a02. Something different about this one is a02 will only have line out function for amp connection. I am quite interested in this one, if it utilizes all the space on the sound card just for dac, it’s probably the best line-out you gonna get from a portable dap.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #4,821 of 8,196
I'm trying to make my N6II to turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity ... however it just does not work. No matter if it's on or off in settings - it just stays on. Never shuts down. Am I the only one or you guys have the same issue? Since I got it - this never worked ...

p.p. screen goes off correctly.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #4,822 of 8,196
I'm trying to make my N6II to turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity ... however it just does not work. No matter if it's on or off in settings - it just stays on. Never shuts down. Am I the only one or you guys have the same issue? Since I got it - this never worked ...

p.p. screen goes off correctly.

Wow ... I stand corrected. It just shut down ... while listening and 3 minutes after skipping a song ...

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #4,823 of 8,196
Wow ... I stand corrected. It just shut down ... while listening and 3 minutes after skipping a song ...
A problem shared is a a problem solved 👍

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #4,824 of 8,196
a new soundcard for n6mk2 is on its way, likely to be released this month and it’s call a02. Something different about this one is a02 will only have line out function for amp connection. I am quite interested in this one, if it utilizes all the space on the sound card just for dac, it’s probably the best line-out you gonna get from a portable dap.

do you have the source for this info?

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #4,825 of 8,196
I would prefer 4.4mm Pentacon output, supporting PO and LO as well, same as it was done for E02 audio motherboard.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #4,829 of 8,196
Hi Folks here is my impressions of the 3 amps after playing around with them each for 200+ hours
We got A01 T01 and E02

All 3 offers very different taste desire and approach to the music presentation, if you get bored with one you can insta swap and feel a very distinctive change in sound and enjoy the new style.

For me its not necessary to own all the amps and you can simply pick one and sell the others but its up to you how you like collecting your audio gear...

From long listening sessions and during all the time I had all 3 of them I always came back to T01 it simply offers the most unique sound timbres and tonality. Very organic feel most of the time very airy. I do find it appeals to my taste the most and also the closest sound to my moded wm1z/Romi!

Ok here we go we start with A01,
This amp has a silk flavor of the AKM dac and yes you can feel its presence, its very smooth and the most gentle and less fatiguing among all the 3 I have. I find it has to much thickness and warmth it kinda suffocates the natural feel of the music and sounds like its taming to much the high frequencies get to much like a thick layer on top everything...
This Amp has a forgiving approach to the songs so less quality resolution tracks wont be penalized as much.
The vocals on here are slightly tamed down and have a laid back feel to them, it also dont have the clearness and resolution of T01 or E02.
This amp has a constant thick feel to the music, its lush warm across the board.
The bass is not as deep or rumbly its more linear and dont get that massive.
Treble here never get piercing, it can get high but cant never be painful.
This amp has barely audible hiss very quiet

T01
In this amp right away you get the feel of a more massive sound cleaner clearer more resolution and music feels more open and natural.
Bass is very deep and rumbly ripley at some point I wonder who is the deepest T01 or E02? I favor T01 over all others because the timbral resonance of sound waves are very organic and has a nice rare feel to it reminds me my bg caps hehe on my 1z/romi.
Definitely I feel better sens of imaging and sound stage on T01, E02 is also very close and maybe equal for that.
The treble on T01 can be fatiguing in the long run and is less forgiving for lower resolution tracks. Though it offers a nice emotional feel to the music as its slightly sharper in treble and deeper in bass. To me it drives your emotions and tickles them more offten due to that.
Overall I find T01 to be very good and close to life like musical perception. But I think E02 wins for the closest life like experience for music.
T0 has an addictive very authoritive sound, its clean clear, massive and very very nice airy feel to the music with awesome sound stage and resolution!
I like this amp the most and its my favorite.
Vocals here feels more forward then a01, but with higher treble we can get the Thshhh and ssss more prone to emerge and be felt slightly siblant. That depends on your headphones I guess to what degree it will be pronounced.

This amp has barely audible hiss very quiet

E02
This amp feels the most accurate and life like sound, more then others in this segment. Very close to T01 and a step above... It has clearer and less thick sound vs T01, which I find brings in the higher resolution and clarity.
Voices here are very admirable and pleasant cant find anything to reproach. E02 has the best vocals performance for sure. It just feels very natural and timbers are not thick or bright. This amp has the best balanced between all frequencies, very audiophile like tuning with a fun factor.
Treble on this amp is less sharp then T01 and has a better sense as they closing to that perception being more natural vs T01. Even if its less sharp it still has the great control and detail accuracy in treble. This amp is probably the most details and layered among the 3 I guess the ess sabre shows its strenght here.
I find the bass less deep then T01 maybe its the organic vibrancies of t01 that creates this effect?
Overall I find E02 a good step up in technical performance over all other amps but I still prefer T01 for its warmer and more organic feel...
E02 is very accurate detailed and precise amp, you want the best performance and nice darker feel to the music this it the one!

I have 1 serious issue about E02 its not like its a deal breaker but almost there... Its the hiss! T01 and A01 is very very quiet I never hear the hiss and it never bothering me at all! But with E02 I can get the hiss heard in low quiet passages of the music, so yea if not that it would be a big winner!

Also that squalshy strange radio frequencies type hiss, I saw a few had it also here. For me its weird sometimes I hear it sometimes I dont, its an intermittent noise. But I never hear it while I listen to music its quiet, its rare when I will hear that squalsh and only when the music is in a quiet dead passage for more then 4 seconds... Also when Iset play and bring volume to 0 to purposely hear the hiss lvl for test...

Here was a short and detailed overview of the 3 amps, I highly highly rec the T01 second would be E02 then others

Tiger Ears :)
:leopard: :feet:
I just have one quick question, did you test all of these amps in SE or Balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back