Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
May 30, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #198 of 969
Mind telling me where are you located? I live in a country where 30-35c in the daytime is normal. I am almost unable to touch Audio GD HE9 head-amp for more than 10 seconds if I left it on 24/7. Even though the sound significantly improves with 2-3 hours of warm-up, I need to turn it off every day after use.
I'm in the United States in Missouri. I turn my unit off now that I have hundreds of hours on it. During the burn-in process I left it on constantly and my Silver Fox never got hot. I do let it warm up and stabilize before listening. I would say this is a pretty efficient unit overall.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #199 of 969
I should have a pair soon to play with! Perhaps I should try them with a pair of Susvara! lol
If you do try them with the Susvara, I would like to know how they stack up against the Niimbus series of Headphone amps for driving the Susvara. I use a US4 now, and I can see one of these Foxes among the headamps in my upgrade path

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #200 of 969
Question/Comment:

Does the Silver Fox have a gain adjustment? With all that power I am wondering how it manages relatively efficient HPs like Utopia while still maintaining usable volume control? Does the Grounding scheme come into play here?

FYI I have the Muses Volume control on my Burson GT and love it. I agree w/ Steve Guttenberg that volume control can greatly impact sound quality. THe Muses is fantastic at allowing micro adjustment of volume for optimal sound quality without blowing my ears out. This would be a big decision point for me regarding the Little vs Big Fox

May 30, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #201 of 969
Question/Comment:

Does the Silver Fox have a gain adjustment? With all that power I am wondering how it manages relatively efficient HPs like Utopia while still maintaining usable volume control? Does the Grounding scheme come into play here?

FYI I have the Muses Volume control on my Burson GT and love it. I agree w/ Steve Guttenberg that volume control can greatly impact sound quality. THe Muses is fantastic at allowing micro adjustment of volume for optimal sound quality without blowing my ears out. This would be a big decision point for me regarding the Little vs Big Fox
Not really a gain selection, but different output modes you can use for different headphones. I do know that "BTL" mode does increase the gain level. I have yet to use it. Just be careful when cycling through the modes that you don't have the volume turned up. BTL mode has a hefty decibel level increase. There is also a built-in impedance selection option you can use to tune down the power.

1685455651310.png

Output modes explained:

1685455807431.png

The Silver Fox is incredible and should be on anyone's demo list.

May 30, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #202 of 969
Agreed, with the vast range of the volume control (in helpful .5dB increments) it seems to have no problem with a wide variety of headphone sensitivities. I have not done much IEM listening though so I can't comment on that aspect yet. As mentioned above, the modes can be helpful for different headphones depending on what you are trying to accomplish - though "normal" already works great the vast majority of the time.

In other news, I have a Little Silver Fox 9i-806 heading my way for a comparison to the bigger sibling. Trying to wrap up my final review of the Silver Fox now, and then will add my comparisons when possible.

May 30, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #205 of 969
If you do try them with the Susvara, I would like to know how they stack up against the Niimbus series of Headphone amps for driving the Susvara. I use a US4 now, and I can see one of these Foxes among the headamps in my upgrade path

Patrick, go for it. I just bought one today. It will replace my ever loving V281.

May 30, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #206 of 969
Patrick, go for it. I just bought one today. It will replace my ever loving V281.
Ken, which V281, all of them? You purchased three from me over the years. Will you require two more silver fox in the near future? I could set up reoccurring billing for you and just ship you one every month. I won't even charge you an extra fee for the convenience. :)

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #207 of 969
Ken, which V281, all of them? You purchased three from me over the years. Will you require two more silver fox in the near future? I could set up reoccurring billing for you and just ship you one every month. I won't even charge you an extra fee for the convenience. :)

Can you get me a good deal on a divorce lawyer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back