CES 2011: Day One
Jan 11, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #51 of 79

Quote:
i read some where that 50 put his own money up to start the headphone, anyone else know this?

pretty cool you got to meet 50 Jude..nice write up did you mention he should Join head-fi? Fabio and 50 on Head-Fi together!

Seriously 50 is one of my entrepreneurial idols... the guy knows what's up. If anyone hasn't seen the interview with him on "Power Lunch", I highly recommend it. He really gives off the impression of being a savvy businessman first and a rapper second.

Glad, but not surprised, he had the smarts to team up with a manufacturer that knows what he's looking for- trendy, with an emphasis on quality. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #52 of 79

Quote:
Quote:
i read some where that 50 put his own money up to start the headphone, anyone else know this?

pretty cool you got to meet 50 Jude..nice write up did you mention he should Join head-fi? Fabio and 50 on Head-Fi together!

Seriously 50 is one of my entrepreneurial idols... the guy knows what's up. If anyone hasn't seen the interview with him on "Power Lunch", I highly recommend it. He really gives off the impression of being a savvy businessman first and a rapper second.

Glad, but not surprised, he had the smarts to team up with a manufacturer that knows what he's looking for- trendy, with an emphasis on quality. 

He is not making his 150 million a year by doing nothing. I don't agree with pretty much all of his lyrics and worldview in his songs, but I do like his style and agree he is a shrewd guy. Now I want to hear his headphones and see is he as good at that as everything else.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #53 of 79
I am very interested in the sleeks does anyone have the tech specs for them.;

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #54 of 79

Quote:
He is not making his 150 million a year by doing nothing. I don't agree with pretty much all of his lyrics and worldview in his songs, but I do like his style and agree he is a shrewd guy. Now I want to hear his headphones and see is he as good at that as everything else.
smily_headphones1.gif
I agree I want to hear what these sound like I think he's excelling at being a perfectionist. Probably thinks he's taking over the world. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #56 of 79
Jan 13, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #58 of 79

First:

Jude, awesome summary.  I stopped by the Sennheisser booth as well and will hopefully get a chance to check out some of the stuff you mentioned.  I was by on day 3 unfortunately and by then it was getting slow and I was very busy.  I will also hopefully be going to Beyerdynamic's HQ and checking out their operations/testing some stuff.  HiFiMan will hopefully be sending me some of their newest and unreleased iPhone earbuds to test out pre-release.  Sleek Audio is building me some of their brand new un-released CT7 Customs for me to compare to the JH-16 Pros.  They claim the CT7 are very competitive and possibly better.  Sculpted Eers will be sending me their dual drivers.  I was the first to review their single driver headphones (then called Soundcage Bass).  I will be in Anaheim tomorrow and the next day to check out the NAMM show with an appointment with Ultimate Ears and will be checking out Westone and others as well. You've inspired me to post a summary of my CES experience which I will do soon, after I get back from NAMM this weekend.  I will also post a NAMM summary.  Thanks again, and next year we should definitely meet up and grab lunch or something at CES.  Same goes for Drew at Moon Audio.  I didn't get the chance to even step in the Venetian for the "high-end audio."

By the way Jude, not sure if you saw me, but I was at the table to the right of the door to enter the meeting room at Sleek getting my impressions made.  

Quote:
what do you guys think of the diy customs made by Sculpted Ears? hope someone can review them here in Head-fi

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/sculpted-eers-fills-ears-with-silicon-molds-custom-molded-headp/

As mentioned above, my posted review is here: http://www.pnosker.com/news/tech/776-ces-sonomax-sculpted-eers-pcs-100-custom-earbuds-review
I have had them for over a month now and I believe this is still the only review available.  To be fair, I did have a pre-release version which carried a different name, but I am told that the current version is the same and is one of several "colors" to be released.  Mine are called the Sculpted Eers Red, which is the bass-heavy one.  I am getting the dual balanced-armature version shortly, possibly even at NAMM (For anyone interested, NAMM=National Association for Music Merchants).  The great news is that they're in some heavy discussion with some larger companies for a licensed version.  For example, they have been in talks with a large company who has the word "Cable" in the name.

Finally, I did have the unique opportunity to try out Sleek's newest tunable headphones and I can vouch for their awesomeness.  Of course, it was only a pre-release model that is not finalized yet, but I found the demos they were using to be to bass heavy (which they attributed to the bass filter being installed).  Because they were out of filters, they pulled out their brand new neutrally tuned SA7 which is utterly beautiful and carbon fiber covered.  If people are interested, I can go into a little bit more detail but due to the sheer volume of the room and the lack of time to do any considerable testing, maybe it should wait for the final version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back