CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #6,571 of 31,859
A few years ago I was on a quest for a standalone portable EQ. They are rare birds indeed (I'm only aware of a small handful that ever came out over the years), and I eventually gave up.

99% of the people that talk about equalizers are using built-in EQ functionality on their phones (natively or via apps) or DAP media players. For example the FiiO DAPs (and many others) have built in equalizers. Some only have built in profiles, some support 1 custom profiles, and some support infinite custom profiles.

I use the EQ built into Rockbox on my xduoo X3. It's highly customizable, and supports infinite custom profiles (which can be named whatever you want).

Slater...Thank You !! ...that is very useful information.
Best regards,

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #6,572 of 31,859
Balanced usually delivers more power to the device since the difference between leads is +V/-V in balanced and +V/Ground in single ended mode. That is really the only difference in balanced vs single ended that is likely to be audible unless you plan on spending some phenomenal amount of money and even then balanced just brings a different set of problems to the table rather than eliminating them. In theory balanced makes sense since it is dual mono paths all the way through all equipment. In reality, it boosts power to hungry cans but really probably has no real world benefit when discussing sub $100 IEMS.

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #6,574 of 31,859
OH....these look very interesting aren't they?

Anybody try the Yersen FEN-2000 hybrid....
HTB1NWkplfDH8KJjy1Xcq6ApdXXau.jpg

and a specs graphic give always more seriousness to the sound engineering of an unknown IEM (don't look peaky to me, perhaps little treble roll of but for hybrid it can be a PLUS):
HTB1LQLAldfJ8KJjy0Feq6xKEXXaE.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yer...b93c-4689-8650-5437cc7c268f&priceBeautifyAB=0

EDIT: What the heck....do we really have all this stuff for 22$????
UTB84QX8tNHEXKJk43Jeq6yeeXXaM.jpg

Just crazy...2X MMCX cable for 22$ is already a good price....man, think this begin to work on me, should stop being curious about these. Hum. Damn, might just buy it ASAP.

Igor Iceberg on his Facebook site (the audiobudget guy), 7 hrs ago: "...Yersen FEN-2000 turned out to be a VERY pleasant surprise! That's how hybrid earphones should sound! I place them in the same league with TIN Audio T2, LKER i8 and KZ ZS6...."

Otto already has 400 pairs of Yersen soundalilkes...and a brand-new box containing the UE900S on the table waiting to be ripped apart.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #6,575 of 31,859
Igor Iceberg on his Facebook site (the audiobudget guy), 7 hrs ago: "...Yersen FEN-2000 turned out to be a VERY pleasant surprise! That's how hybrid earphones should sound! I place them in the same league with TIN Audio T2, LKER i8 and KZ ZS6...."

Otto already has 400 pairs of Yersen soundalilkes...and a brand-new box containing the UE900S on the table waiting to be ripped apart.

Hum, don't know about soundsignature as 3 IEM Igor talk about aren't similar sounding at all.
Anyway, some people will share impressions about them soon so we will know.

Otto should try Z5000. He don't have 400 pairs like this for sure, but, he MUST use memory foam out of the box, especially him, its the rule if he wanna enjoy classical properly.

Congrats for your UE900S! Share some tough here even if its ''illegal'':wink:

Feb 2, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #6,578 of 31,859
Looking for a cheap, durable, sweat proof IEM. The sound signature doesn't matter... Any recommendations?
i got a few im selling in my sig, check it out if your interested lemme know!

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #6,579 of 31,859
Otto should try Z5000. He don't have 400 pairs like this for sure, but, he MUST use memory foam out of the box, especially him, its the rule if he wanna enjoy classical properly.

Congrats for your UE900S! Share some tough here even if its ''illegal'':wink:
The Z5000 appear to have a monster bass....Otto likes neutral. The UE900S will have to wait. Instant gratification is for dummies.
I am afraid that the EDR1 are better than the UE900S.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #6,580 of 31,859
The Z5000 appear to have a monster bass....Otto likes neutral. The UE900S will have to wait. Instant gratification is for dummies.
I am afraid that the EDR1 are better than the UE900S.
Hehe, now, talking so much about EDR1 and 2...I guess I will order one!
Z5000 became kinda-neutral-full bodied with memory foam, bass monster is with silicone, wich still keep the mids intact strangely, as if bass rumble caresse mids instead of eatin them up alive. I think its why people are impress so much by Z5000 sound: you don't feel stupid loving bass with them like with V shaped one with recessed mids and desperate highs.

If the EDR1 finally are better than UE900S share your toughs about this, I barely conclude Z5000 was better than 2000$ Hifiman RE2000, with all seriousness of a blind judge. Topology drivers sure have advantage on tesla cause it sculpt frequencies response more precisely like a rodin, so it was about sublte attack, dynamic, details and texture aspect, like it have little more pixels compared to Z5000, but I can see people prefering Z5000 more organic soundsignature that feel less grainy and deeper than 2000.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #6,581 of 31,859
My QC issues with Auglamour RT-1 continued today. After fixing one side where DD popped out of place, it started to completely cut of from time to time and after opening them again, the circuit board on the back of the driver was not glued enough and was almost separated from driver. Tried to glue it back, cutting off remained and my tinkering with it resulted in broken coil wires. Even then I didn't give up hope because I knew I could fix it back if I could isolate these small wires from the black goo that holds them from the back board to the membrane. Unfortunately, I only managed to save one of them while the other one was cut = useless driver.

Then I opened the working side because I was thinking about buying a new pair of 10mm drivers to put inside. First thing: confirmation that I was definitely right about polarity - one of my sides had wrong internal wiring resulting in polarity issues (I knew about this and was just careful to connect one side with cables inverted). The most bizarre thing is that they inverted wires on one cable for the bluetooth module - they knew that they f-ed up wiring and instead of rewiring inside the IEM they just ordered one cable to be wired in wrong polarity essentially "fixing" the issue with this pair - too bad that they didn't think of the people who might not know enough about audio and who might end up thinking that 3rd party cables suck. This is also a very bad business practice that I did not expect.

And one more point of frustration - Balanced Armatures do not perform the same on both sides and after closer inspection, the properly working BA is a full range driver (I also suspected this given the size of the driver which is too big to be a tweeter).

The weirdest thing is that even with ridiculously messed up pair of RT-1 that I received, it sounded sublime. I don't know exactly if this is an isolated case but I sure hope that it is because I believe in Auglamour and still have high hopes for them. Their RX-1 is a very good example of a spectacular product and RT-1 probably is as well (for most people I think).

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #6,582 of 31,859
Hehe, now, talking so much about EDR1 and 2...I guess I will order one!
Z5000 became kinda-neutral-full bodied with memory foam, bass monster is with silicone, wich still keep the mids intact strangely, as if bass rumble caresse mids instead of eatin them up alive. I think its why people are impress so much by Z5000 sound: you don't feel stupid loving bass with them like with V shaped one with recessed mids and desperate highs.

If the EDR1 finally are better than UE900S share your toughs about this, I barely conclude Z5000 was better than 2000$ Hifiman RE2000, with all seriousness of a blind judge. Topology drivers sure have advantage on tesla cause it sculpt frequencies response more precisely like a rodin, so it was about sublte attack, dynamic, details and texture aspect, like it have little more pixels compared to Z5000, but I can see people prefering Z5000 more organic soundsignature that feel less grainy and deeper than 2000.

The UE900S (at $179 USD a steal; list is $399) didn't sound much different to the EDR1 when listening to Police's Roxanne [remastered]....Sting's voice didn't come out much better and the overall fun factor was approximately the same. The UE900S sound a bit slimmer, especially in the bass department.

They lived up to the promise when it came to Max Bruch's violin concerto (2017 recording, Bamberg Symphony, Nils Monkemeyer, Sony Music): incredible separation and layering, although the soundstage was not overly big. Definitely addictive and worth the money.

Now I can log out of here as the $50-100 Auglamours, Tinaudios, Lkers etc. quickly add up to more money than I have paid for this "ultimate experience". That's why I promote the $5-10 earphones here as they offer the best value. I just ordered a second KZ EDR1 (with mic only on ebay). Fun for $5.

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #6,583 of 31,859
My QC issues with Auglamour RT-1 continued today. After fixing one side where DD popped out of place, it started to completely cut of from time to time and after opening them again, the circuit board on the back of the driver was not glued enough and was almost separated from driver. Tried to glue it back, cutting off remained and my tinkering with it resulted in broken coil wires. Even then I didn't give up hope because I knew I could fix it back if I could isolate these small wires from the black goo that holds them from the back board to the membrane. Unfortunately, I only managed to save one of them while the other one was cut = useless driver.

Then I opened the working side because I was thinking about buying a new pair of 10mm drivers to put inside. First thing: confirmation that I was definitely right about polarity - one of my sides had wrong internal wiring resulting in polarity issues (I knew about this and was just careful to connect one side with cables inverted). The most bizarre thing is that they inverted wires on one cable for the bluetooth module - they knew that they f-ed up wiring and instead of rewiring inside the IEM they just ordered one cable to be wired in wrong polarity essentially "fixing" the issue with this pair - too bad that they didn't think of the people who might not know enough about audio and who might end up thinking that 3rd party cables suck. This is also a very bad business practice that I did not expect.

And one more point of frustration - Balanced Armatures do not perform the same on both sides and after closer inspection, the properly working BA is a full range driver (I also suspected this given the size of the driver which is too big to be a tweeter).

The weirdest thing is that even with ridiculously messed up pair of RT-1 that I received, it sounded sublime. I don't know exactly if this is an isolated case but I sure hope that it is because I believe in Auglamour and still have high hopes for them. Their RX-1 is a very good example of a spectacular product and RT-1 probably is as well (for most people I think).

Thats a shame really. You should write your story to the seller and ask for refund ASAP.

Now, i'm little less intrigued by these cause of serious QC issue....but you look so impress by sound, even with this torturous defects....well well.

I own in the past Auglamour AG-R8 and wasn't impress at all by the sound....but these look something different from another league.

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #6,584 of 31,859
The UE900S (at $179 USD a steal; list is $399) didn't sound much different to the EDR1 when listening to Police's Roxanne [remastered]....Sting's voice didn't come out much better and the overall fun factor was approximately the same. The UE900S sound a bit slimmer, especially in the bass department.

They lived up to the promise when it came to Max Bruch's violin concerto (2017 recording, Bamberg Symphony, Nils Monkemeyer, Sony Music): incredible separation and layering, although the soundstage was not overly big. Definitely addictive and worth the money.

Now I can log out of here as the $50-100 Auglamours, Tinaudios, Lkers etc. quickly add up to more money than I have paid for this "ultimate experience". That's why I promote the $5-10 earphones here as they offer the best value. I just ordered a second KZ EDR1 (with mic only on ebay). Fun for $5.

Did EDR1 are similar sounding to ED3 perfection?

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #6,585 of 31,859
This make me nervous about EDR1:
1474276721838719.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back