CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 4, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #7,561 of 31,846
Took a look about that BlitZWolf ES1 modding and despite quite great looking FR graphs, I don`t think those mods are easy to do EXACTLY to same FR level with those methods for every user. Too much variables and only tiny difference in poking hole can result different sound.
Though, as I see such good improvement what that guy finally accomplished, I should buy one and make full-custom shell for it or implement inside KZ ZS3 shells.

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #7,562 of 31,846
Hey, I'm looking to grab a handful of mega cheap IEMs with a lot of potential to be unlocked with modding, or just in stock form. Any suggestions? No name rando stuff is fine, as long as its easy enough to find. Already grabbed some Uiisii Hi820's as theyre supposedly the same driver as the blitzwolf ES1, which might be interesting.

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #7,563 of 31,846
Took a look about that BlitZWolf ES1 modding and despite quite great looking FR graphs, I don`t think those mods are easy to do EXACTLY to same FR level with those methods for every user. Too much variables and only tiny difference in poking hole can result different sound.
Though, as I see such good improvement what that guy finally accomplished, I should buy one and make full-custom shell for it or implement inside KZ ZS3 shells.

You are right, every tiny difference in size of the hole can be heard esp. in bass.
I found poking the front vent fully, then taping over it and poking the tape is easier to balance the channels (similar as on the backside).
Taming the treble is another thing, for me much harder :D

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #7,564 of 31,846
Under 10$

KZ ate
Panasonic hje120
Koss the plug
Philips she 3580
Monoprice 8320
KZ edr1
KZ zse
KZ zs3 after slater mod

Under 20$

KZ es3(better than zst, after ageing)
Kz zs5 in offer
Bgvp dn1 and its side alternative brand
Memt x5
Blitzwolf mod

Under 30$

KZ zsr with ostry tips red
Kz zs6 foam tips
Yersen fe2000
Tenmak pro equalised
Urban HiFi (both)
Tin audio t515

Under 40$

TinAudio T1(this sounds like Dita truth edition when equalised with piccolonamek guide and then increasing slight treble)

Tingker tk200
KZ zsr with upgrade SPC cable and ostry tips
Xiaomi in ear pro HD
Superlux IEM
TFZ galaxy t1

Under 50$

TinAudio t2
Zhiyun z5000
TFZ series 2

Well now names of ultra class under 150$

BGVP ds1
TFZ series 4
TFZ exclusive 3
TFZ exclusive king
IBasso it01

Simgot en700pro
TFZ king pro

Hifiboys os v3

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #7,565 of 31,846
A slight aside, anyone got a recommendation for my situation?

Loving my zs6s at the moment, thinking about getting an amp. I use a HiFimeDIY dac when I’m at work.
I see that the zishan z2 is looking good? Do you guys think that the dac is better than Sabre? If not should I just get the walnut f1amp and be done with it?

Advice is wanted :)

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #7,566 of 31,846
Hi everybody,

can someone do a comparision (whoch sounds better with fun sound) between these these earphones?

1. Blitzwolf ES1, KZ EDR1, Xiaomi Piston Hybrid (not PRO)

second comparison:

2. UIISII BA-T8 vs Blitzwolf ES2

Thx 4 answers :)

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #7,567 of 31,846
Ok I want to publicly thank Otto Motor and Slater for turning me on to the KZ Edr1, I was on the fence but the Xiaomi Piston 3 I have for gym duties started having issues so I thought: why the hell not? These things sound Fuquing good right out of the box, everything is in place, clear, balanced, so much so that I´m now thinking of buying a back up pair or the Edr2. Audio deal of the millenium.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #7,568 of 31,846
Hey, I'm looking to grab a handful of mega cheap IEMs with a lot of potential to be unlocked with modding, or just in stock form. Any suggestions? No name rando stuff is fine, as long as its easy enough to find. Already grabbed some Uiisii Hi820's as theyre supposedly the same driver as the blitzwolf ES1, which might be interesting.

KZ ED9 can be modded quite a bit. So can KZ ZS6 and KZ ZSR.

Also, UiiSii CM5 kicks butt in stock form.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #7,569 of 31,846
UiiSii CM5 kicks butt in stock form.

Yes it does. The CM5 was one of my first iems. I could have (should have?) stopped there and been happy.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #7,570 of 31,846

You are right, every tiny difference in size of the hole can be heard esp. in bass.
I found poking the front vent fully, then taping over it and poking the tape is easier to balance the channels (similar as on the backside).
Taming the treble is another thing, for me much harder :D

I'm taking a slightly different approach.

I'm filling both vent holes with epoxy (to seal them), then drilling new vent holes right next to the original holes (then I wont have to deal with the tuning mesh at all). I can control the hole sizes with micro drill bits (which you can find on Aliexpress). The drill bit method is precise, consistent, and repeatable.

The drill bit sets are only $2-$3usd (for a set of 10 assorted bits). Plus they're made of tungsten steel, so they will last a very long time (especially with plastic IEM shells). As far as sizes, they're available in extremely small sizes and in very small increments (ie 0.1mm, 0.2mm, 0.25mm, 0.3mm, 0.35mm, 0.4mm, 0.45mm, 0.5mm, 0.55mm 0.6mm, 0.7mm, 0.8mm, 0.9mm, 1.0mm, 1.1mm, 1.2mm, 1.3mm, etc.

How do they even make a 0.1mm diameter drill bit?!? That's barely larger than the width of a human hair!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #7,571 of 31,846
I'm taking a slightly different approach.

I'm filling both holes with epoxy (to seal them), then drilling new holes right next to the original holes (then I wont have to deal with the tuning mesh at all). I can control the hole sizes with micro drill bits (which you can find on Aliexpress). The drill bit method is precise and repeatable.

The drill bit sets are only a few dollars a set, are tungsten steel so they will last a very long time (especially with plastic IEM shells), and are available in very small sizes in very small increments (ie 0.1mm, 0.2mm, 0.25mm, 0.3mm, 0.35mm, 0.4mm, 0.45mm, 0.5mm, 0.55mm 0.6mm, 0.7mm, 0.8mm, 0.9mm, 1.0mm, 1.1mm, 1.2mm, 1.3mm, etc.
you sir are a madman, I bow to you

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #7,572 of 31,846
Ok I want to publicly thank Otto Motor and Slater for turning me on to the KZ Edr1, I was on the fence but the Xiaomi Piston 3 I have for gym duties started having issues so I thought: why the hell not? These things sound Fuquing good right out of the box, everything is in place, clear, balanced, so much so that I´m now thinking of buying a back up pair or the Edr2. Audio deal of the millenium.

Welcome to the club, glad you like them :)

If you want a little more towards the neutral side get the EDR2. Otherwise, if you're happy with the EDR1 (especially the sub bass), stick with another EDR1 as a backup pair before they're all gone forever and become myth and legend like the ZS1 v1.

I'm in agreement - $4 and change is the audio deal of the millennium!

The 2nd best audio deal of the millennium was the UiiSii CM5 for $8.99 (I'm starting to sound like a broken record with the CM5 lol). If you like the EDR2's sound, you'll LOVE the CM5.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #7,574 of 31,846
Under 10$

TinAudio T1(this sounds like Dita truth edition when equalised with piccolonamek guide and then increasing slight treble)

any further elaboration on this? tested the Dita Answer extensively and was told the Truth is exponentially better (or at least worth the extra price), very interested

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back