CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 30, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #9,916 of 31,846
with cayin n3 you've access to hiby music but no tidal/spotify option

I don't use those services but I'm pretty sure you can use them with the N3

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #9,917 of 31,846
with cayin n3 you've access to hiby music but no tidal/spotify option

Thank you ! Does any member know of any DAP/DAC brand where Bluetooth and Tidal/Spotify are available ?

I am looking for such an item to replace my Iphone Smartphone as source - would have to be superior in sound.

Much appreciate your recommendations. Thanks and regards !

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #9,918 of 31,846
Thank you ! Does any member know of any DAP/DAC brand where Bluetooth and Tidal/Spotify are available ?

I am looking for such an item to replace my Iphone Smartphone as source - would have to be superior in sound.

If you are looking for a smartphone replacement as well then look into LG V30 (or V20 as a cheaper option). If your budget can accomodate it take the V30 flagship which has better battery life and people say it's more polished and what V20 should have been in the first place.

Both have audiophile grade Sabre quad DAC and hifi amp. Streaming services at best and naturally fluid interface common to smartphones, best compatibility with Playstore apps, Bluetooth, smartcard and so on.

There's a dedicated thread for it, check it out. Some people say is that good that they are ditching their mid tier daps for it.

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #9,919 of 31,846
If you are looking for a smartphone replacement as well then look into LG V30 (or V20 as a cheaper option). If your budget can accomodate it take the V30 flagship which has better battery life and people say it's more polished and what V20 should have been in the first place.

Both have audiophile grade Sabre quad DAC and hifi amp. Streaming services at best and naturally fluid interface common to smartphones, best compatibility with Playstore apps, Bluetooth, smartcard and so on.

There's a dedicated thread for it, check it out. Some people say is that good that they are ditching their mid tier daps for it.

I haven't tried one yet but it does seem like the most logical choice especially with how cheap the V20 refurbs can be. Not like IEMs need mega amps anyway.

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #9,920 of 31,846

That is not correct info for the N3. I quote maciuks review:

"Bluetooth options are really impressive – aptX codec is supported and N3 can work both as a BT transmitter or receiver. Therefore, one can either pair N3 with earphones and with a smartphone and transfer music from Spotify or Tidal app to IEMs or cans that are connected to the Cayin."

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #9,921 of 31,846

Thank you for the recommendation. Much obliged. Any other, specifically dedicated to music - not a smartphone as well ?

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #9,922 of 31,846
Hi all,

Appreciate this is topic about IEMs but I only trust you and noone else so I post my question here. I have a big collection of IEMs (all your typical ones - couple TIN Audios, MEMT x5, Swing IE800, a bunch from KZ etc etc) and I have been using them with Cowon M2 as a DAP.

I am now looking for a new DAP and I am not even sure that it exists given my requirements:

Mandatory:
- Plays 24/96 FLAC
- Decent battery life (30 hours+... hard to accept anything worse after 90hrs Cowon M2)
- $150 max
- Doesn't require amp for sub-$50 chi-fi IEMs

Optional:
- Small
- Hardware buttons for volume, play/pause, previous/next

I hope you can recommend something!

Thanks, I count on your advice!

Rockboxed Ipod Classic. I like them far more than the Cayin N3 both in sound and ease of use

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #9,923 of 31,846
This is what i'm looking for. A more Fun signature.

See this comparision of @audio123 of ibasso and tfz king. They seem more like a sidegrade. So, maybe a exclusive 3 being a better cost benefit than exclusive king. It could be a good option for 49 dolars less than ibasso. Without compromising too much. Maybe...

If you could save up a bit, the King Pro is quite an upgrade to the regular King and more similar to the T2 than the regular (the regular King is Warmer while the Pro is more resolving) . Technically speaking, it's a more polished presentation than the T2, although i still think the T2 quite unique sounding.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #9,924 of 31,846
If you could save up a bit, the King Pro is quite an upgrade to the regular King and more similar to the T2 than the regular (the regular King is Warmer while the Pro is more resolving) . Technically speaking, it's a more polished presentation than the T2, although i still think the T2 quite unique sounding.

King pro is too pricey and i want a bassier, more fun sound than T2. Not more resolving

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #9,926 of 31,846
King pro is too pricey and i want a bassier, more fun sound than T2. Not more resolving

Ooh it's way bassier and more fun than the T2, no worries about that, it's still a TFZ house sound after all. But it is more pricey, i agree to that, but i think it's worth it, especially as i see you already have a good collection and experience with sub $100 iems.

Edit: the Pro is more resolving compared to the original king

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #9,927 of 31,846
I have the TFZ King :)

Nice! I am looking for someone who has the exclusive 3 to compare to other well stabilished budget iem's. I think that they fit my needs.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #9,928 of 31,846
Thank you for the recommendation. Much obliged. Any other, specifically dedicated to music - not a smartphone as well ?

Just FYI, the Cayin N3 only supports Apt-X in transmitter mode, not in receiver mode. Hidizs' upcoming AP80 is the first DAP I've seen with two-way Apt-X.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #9,929 of 31,846
I have the Yersen FEN-2000 and my Rose North Forest is on the way! Thanks to all those who provided their thoughts. I would be happy to provide a comparison, however the right earpiece of my Yersens just failed :triportsad:. I requested a replacement from the AliExpress seller but I'm not holding my breath. It seems like there have been multiple people on this thread alone with the same problem. Until the QC issues are fixed, it's difficult for me to endorse the Yersen FEN-2000 (mine only lasted about a month with very careful use). A shame, since the sound quality and everything that comes in the package makes the price well worth it. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere and unfortunately it came at the expense of durability.

Just got my Rose North Forest! First impression: very bass heavy. Even compared to the LKER i8, which is known to have prominent bass. To me, the bass in the North Forest bleeds into the mids/highs and makes everything sound a bit muddy. It's less noticeable in acoustic songs and songs that emphasize vocals, but with EDM it's hard for me to appreciate much else because the bass dominates the sound. The good news is that after EQing down the low end, the mids and highs come through a bit more. In contrast, the bass on the LKER i8 feels more controlled and tight out of the box. Other thoughts: the multi-function button doesn't work with my Android phone for some reason (I haven't had a chance to test the microphone yet), the earphones are super light and comfy, the fit is excellent, and there is noticeable microphonics from the wires that attach directly to the earpieces but none from the main cable.

Compared to the Yersen FEN-2000 (keep in mind, this is from memory since my Yersens are out of commission currently), the Yersens are more balanced and detailed. I had some issues with fit and driver flex with the Yersens though, which I do not have with the North Forest.

Early verdict for the Rose North Forest: Even if you are a bass head, I think there are better options at the $25-$30 price point. I enjoy my LKER i8 (~$30 at time of purchase on eBay) much more when I listen to music that is bass heavy. To me, it's more crisp, has better instrument separation, and an overall cleaner sound. The LKER i8 also feels more "fun," perhaps due to its slight V-shaped signature. My KZ ZSR is on the way (which I understand is also known for its bass) so I'm happy to provide a comparison once I receive them!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back