Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #3,211 of 7,153
I bought the Aizers a week ago, briefly listened to them, sounded pretty good but have been busy and haven’t had an extended session with them yet.

The Aizer AZ-A700-B, Spadger CD-990, and Fischer Audio FA-002 are variants of the Yoga CD-990. Measurements for the Fischer FA-002 can be found here:

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/fischer-audio-fa-002.php

You can generate comparative graphs against other headphones here:

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro...dellhp956=956&filter=Apply&idhp=956&idhp1=157

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #3,212 of 7,153
I finally got the Lyxpro HAS 30 in that I ordered. Had a problem with delivery from USPS and took awhile to find my package (they delivered it to the wrong address but managed to get it back).

So I'm doing an A/B comparison between the two. I thought they sounded slightly different which surprised me. I thought maybe it's due to the pads on the LyxPro HAS 30 versus the HM5 pads I stuck on the Akai 50x I already have. They sound very close, but not the same. So I put some HM5 pads on the HAS30. Still they sound different. The HAS 30 are a bit more subdued in the bass comparatively with the highes a bit brighter. They are almost identical in sound though.

So I pop the earpads off on both and notice right away without have to take anything else apart that the Akai 50x has some extra tuning paper covering the holes on the driver.

https://i.imgur.com/M7RK5vU.jpg

It is subtle in difference and you'd probably miss it if you weren't trying to do a direct comparison. That being said, the stock lyxpro pads also affect the bass and mid bass negatively in comparison to the HM5 pads. This is what I heard previously on the Akai 50x when I bought the lyxpro has 30 pads by themselves. The deeper pads bring out the sound and sound stage for these cans. Shallower pads are a detriment. Which is funny because the stock pads on the 50x are shallow pieces of garbage that need to be removed immediately. I think I prefer the tuning paper over those holes than without although @Slater seems to like the holes open.

So I'm going to try the fully open mod when I get chance that Slater did with his now that I have two of these beauties. I did have a use for the stock HAS 30 pads though. They are nice pads on the right headphones. The previous pads I put on my Koss DJ Pro 200s and they sound great on those. These I'm sticking on my brand new Monoprice Retros. They have crap stock pads that are hard as rocks and hot as hell on my ears. The LyxPro pads are much nicer and help with the sound as well. The Monoprice retros sound close to the 50x/HAS30 headphones except with a boomier bass and slightly more treble. Not much more treble, but definitely more bass. So more V shaped. That being said they are clear with nice wide soundstage too for a closed headphone like the 50x/HAS30. The deeper pads tame things on the V shape and make them very enjoyable after that. Just wish they had a detachable cable system.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #3,213 of 7,153
I finally got the Lyxpro HAS 30 in that I ordered. Had a problem with delivery from USPS and took awhile to find my package (they delivered it to the wrong address but managed to get it back).

So I'm doing an A/B comparison between the two. I thought they sounded slightly different which surprised me. I thought maybe it's due to the pads on the LyxPro HAS 30 versus the HM5 pads I stuck on the Akai 50x I already have. They sound very close, but not the same. So I put some HM5 pads on the HAS30. Still they sound different. The HAS 30 are a bit more subdued in the bass comparatively with the highes a bit brighter. They are almost identical in sound though.

So I pop the earpads off on both and notice right away without have to take anything else apart that the Akai 50x has some extra tuning paper covering the holes on the driver.

https://i.imgur.com/M7RK5vU.jpg

It is subtle in difference and you'd probably miss it if you weren't trying to do a direct comparison. That being said, the stock lyxpro pads also affect the bass and mid bass negatively in comparison to the HM5 pads. This is what I heard previously on the Akai 50x when I bought the lyxpro has 30 pads by themselves. The deeper pads bring out the sound and sound stage for these cans. Shallower pads are a detriment. Which is funny because the stock pads on the 50x are shallow pieces of garbage that need to be removed immediately. I think I prefer the tuning paper over those holes than without although @Slater seems to like the holes open.

So I'm going to try the fully open mod when I get chance that Slater did with his now that I have two of these beauties. I did have a use for the stock HAS 30 pads though. They are nice pads on the right headphones. The previous pads I put on my Koss DJ Pro 200s and they sound great on those. These I'm sticking on my brand new Monoprice Retros. They have crap stock pads that are hard as rocks and hot as hell on my ears. The LyxPro pads are much nicer and help with the sound as well. The Monoprice retros sound close to the 50x/HAS30 headphones except with a boomier bass and slightly more treble. Not much more treble, but definitely more bass. So more V shaped. That being said they are clear with nice wide soundstage too for a closed headphone like the 50x/HAS30. The deeper pads tame things on the V shape and make them very enjoyable after that. Just wish they had a detachable cable system.

Yeah, the paper is interesting; only on the 50X.

And like you said, the pads contribute to the sound difference (in combination with the paper).

With the backs opened up on mine, the tuning holes being open have a much nicer sound IMO. I'm still building my headphone FR test rig, and once done I'll be able to see what's going on with the paper vs no paper. Right now I just have to rely on my ears. I'm actually building a nice modded pair for another HF member.

Totally agree on the HM5 pads too - they are awsome (assuming you're talking about the oval ones). Haven't found a can yet that I didn't like HM5 oval pads on.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #3,214 of 7,153
Yeah, the paper is interesting; only on the 50X.

And like you said, the pads contribute to the sound difference (in combination with the paper).

With the backs opened up on mine, the tuning holes being open have a much nicer sound IMO. I'm still building my headphone FR test rig, and once done I'll be able to see what's going on with the paper vs no paper. Right now I just have to rely on my ears.

Totally agree on the HM5 pads too - they are awsome (assuming you're talking about the oval ones). Haven't found a can yet that I didn't like HM5 oval pads on.

Talking about the normal oval ones, not the round ones. The HM5 pads do not work on several headphones I've found though. Koss DJ Pro's, Bosshifi B8s, and Pioneer DJ HRM6 are 3 I can think of that I own off the top of my head that do not work with deeper pads. Some headphones work better with deeper pads, and some don't. The HM5 oval pads are pretty deep pads, which is what makes them really comfortable to me.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #3,215 of 7,153
Talking about the normal oval ones, not the round ones. The HM5 pads do not work on several headphones I've found though. Koss DJ Pro's, Bosshifi B8s, and Pioneer DJ HRM6 are 3 I can think of that I own off the top of my head that do not work with deeper pads. Some headphones work better with deeper pads, and some don't. The HM5 oval pads are pretty deep pads, which is what makes them really comfortable to me.

They also do not work with the NAD Viso HP 50.

...and yes, they were horrible on my Bosshifi B 8

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #3,216 of 7,153

They also do not work with the NAD Viso HP 50.

...and yes, they were horrible on my Bosshifi B 8

Yeah, I don't have any of those. That's why I haven't found a can yet where they didn't sound good LOL

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #3,217 of 7,153
I used to own the LyxPro HAS-30 (since gifted to a friend). I also own the Marantz MPH-2s, and found the 2 headphones to sound identical.

At one time, for reasons I can't recall, I swapped the excellent stock HAS-30 pads for oval HM5s. It wasn't a disaster, but it definitely did not improve the sound. Some of that pleasingly/broadly elevated bass pulled back, and the overall balance of the sound was degraded somewhat.

Still, I've had other headphones where the HM5s had a positive, or even transformative effect on the sound (as well as the comfort). The HM5s are kind a universal starting-point for pad rolling experiments IMO. Since the Brainwavz round pleathers were launched, I find myself not using the HM5s as much, particularly for round earcup headphones, where the HM5s would need to be stretched quite a bit to actually get on the earcup.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #3,218 of 7,153
The HM5s are kind a universal starting-point for pad rolling experiments IMO.

Well put. It's my initial 'go to' for pad rolling (kind of like KZ Starlines for IEMs).

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #3,219 of 7,153
IMG_20180404_010335_HHT.jpg
Sooo these are Isk HD9999 i enjoy them. They are somewhat neutral.

So I was looking around to mod it. So i did the paper mod: which resulted in killing the bass regardless of opening 1 or 3 holes, it was there but it couldnt reach low. Soundstage got a little better as well as mids improved for me, highs got piercing for my ear so i closed the holes.
IMG_20180404_010257.jpg

These are the shells behind the drivers. My question is if I drill holes on them will it kill the bass as well or not since it will give it more air behind the drivers and not along with them? I know i can only be certain after drilling it but what do you guys think?

IMG_20180404_010756_HHT.jpg
IMG_20180404_010810_HHT.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #3,220 of 7,153
Sooo these are Isk HD9999 i enjoy them. They are somewhat neutral.

So I was looking around to mod it. So i did the paper mod: which resulted in killing the bass regardless of opening 1 or 3 holes, it was there but it couldnt reach low. Soundstage got a little better as well as mids improved for me, highs got piercing for my ear so i closed the holes.

These are the shells behind the drivers. My question is if I drill holes on them will it kill the bass as well or not since it will give it more air behind the drivers and not along with them? I know i can only be certain after drilling it but what do you guys think?

What's the goal you are trying to achieve? In other words, if they are neutral to begin with, what are you hoping to do with tuning? Add more bass? Reduce treble? More soundstage?

Lemme know, and I can try and give you some ideas...

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #3,222 of 7,153
Mainly improve soundstage

I would start with non-destructive mods. Often you can widen the soundstage by swapping the pads to something else (like oval HM5 pads perhaps). Or deepen the pads by lining the inside of the pad with kleenex, caulking backer rod, cotton balls, a piece of coax cable, etc. At a minimum I would add some dampening to that cup to reduce reflections - adhesive closed cell foam, sorbothane, dynamat, etc.

If that doesn't get you the changes you are looking for, you could try to put a few holes in the side of the cup, at the bottom (like this headphone I modded):

IMAG2446.jpg

Start with 1 hole, then go to 2, then 3, etc. Or you can start with small holes, and slowly enlarge them. This way, you can attempt tune it with the number of holes. If you have any problems, you can fill the holes if necessary (or cover them with tape). You can also tweak the holes by covering them (from the inside) with a strip of micropore or transpore tape (in effect making the holes smaller by increasing resistance).

Also note that as you increase soundstage, bass may increase as a side effect (or it may not). If it does, or how much, depends on the individual driver, cup design, cup volume, etc. And obviously making the headphone semi-open will affect isolation.

Basically when you mod a headphone that hasn't been modded before, recognize that you are totally experimenting and being a pioneer. You are going against tuning that was likely done by a whole team of professionals. That doesn't mean you can't make it better (or different). You may make positive changes, or you may make negative changes. You may get the results you are looking for, or you may get terrible results. You may improve midrange, but make the bass tubby at the same time. Or you may make the bass tighter and cleaner, but the treble thin and flat at the same time. You are basically being a mad scientist in a way. That's why I recommend starting with mods that are small and hidden if possible. This way, you can cover up your mistakes if you make any. Or, if you have a headphone that you hate (or was really inexpensive) and you could care less if anything bad happens to it, be bold and just go for whatever you feel like.

Be aware that in many cases, it's easier/cheaper just to buy the open version of a can (if one exists). For example, if makes little sense for me to try and mod the closed soundMAGIC HP150 to get more soundstage (by making them open), because an open (and properly tuned) version already exists (ie the soundMAGIC HP200). I don't know anything about the AKG model you have (and really don't know much about the AKG line in general), so I can't really help from that aspect.

If you do decide to mod, always make sure the vent holes on the driver are taped off while you are making holes, and clean up all dust and shavings. Don't forget to remove your tape when you are done. I also recommend doing the work with the cups apart, so you can make sure you don't damage the wiring and/or driver. It's easier to do the work with the pads off and cups taken apart. Depending on what I'm doing, I will also desolder the drivers and get the, totally out of the way. But I understand that is too hard for some folks, so at least open the cups and keep the drivers out of the way. The wiring is short though, so you don't have a lot of room to work with - be very aware of this or you risk ripping the wires right of the drivers.

Finally, note that with only 1 pair of headphones (and I am assuming no measurement equipment), you are going to be relying solely on sound memory for your changes. Sound memory is not very reliable, especially when there is a gap in time between listening sessions while you are physically performing the mods (drilling holes, taping this, assembling and disassembling, etc). It is much better (yet not as pratical or cost effective) to have 2 models of the same headphone, so you can A/B your changes.

Good luck and most of all have fun! Use this as a learning experience. Be sure to post back with your results!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #3,223 of 7,153
I would stack some magnets on the back of the driver. Every headphone I have done this to it seems to improve the clarity/blackness of the background. I haven't noticed specifically if soundstage improves, but it helps with some of the things that contribute to soundstage, if that makes sense? I don't know if it's any wider or deeper but the information presented within the field it creates is more accurate, clarified and shined up a little.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #3,224 of 7,153
I would stack some magnets on the back of the driver. Every headphone I have done this to it seems to improve the clarity/blackness of the background. I haven't noticed specifically if soundstage improves, but it helps with some of the things that contribute to soundstage, if that makes sense? I don't know if it's any wider or deeper but the information presented within the field it creates is more accurate, clarified and shined up a little.

I would have suggested that, but it doesn't look like there is enough room. It appears that the back of the driver butts up to the back of the driver cup - see the hole in the very center of the cup? I think this butts up to the magnet vent in the driver (ie the little gold colored part in the center of the driver).

The only way to really know would be to test it with a small blob of silly putty or blue tac. Close the cup and screw it together to smoosh the silly putty/blue tac, and then take it back apart and measure the thickness. Then you'll know how much space you've got (if any), and can use that to determine the maximum magnet size.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #3,225 of 7,153
Lol, I'm getting ready for work, so I only glanced at the picture and noticed that the MAGNET part looks like a good candidate...I didn't look too closely at the interior of the cup. Good call Slater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back