Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Mar 5, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #557 of 6,290
haha, ‘belief’ is something I associate with religion. Digital sources with the same file sounding different is fact and has nothing to do with belief!

Yep I 100% agree. People think USB audio protocol is god-stable. It isn't. There's no error checking, there's no frame count info, there is no retransmission. I can hear changes in almost every windows audio player software, running all of them in asio. Similar case in Linux. The changes in software are mere differences in library causing changes in execution periodicity, apart from buffer schemes and few other sophisticated programs do wierder stuff to optimize audio (though system won't be optimal for other tasks). If this can change the sound, anything can change the sound.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #558 of 6,290
Ok. Maybe chord can answer this question: would the 2go act as NAA ( network audio adapter) like the allo usbridge so that hqplayer can play to it? I really want to be able to connect to hqplayer with the 2gohugo2 combo.
Thanks.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #559 of 6,290
Ok. Maybe chord can answer this question: would the 2go act as NAA ( network audio adapter) like the allo usbridge so that hqplayer can play to it? I really want to be able to connect to hqplayer with the 2gohugo2 combo.
Thanks.
There is no way for me to stream to my Poly/Mojo from HQP. There is no naa in the Poly. I think Chord see HQP as an mscaler killer. I sold mine and will never look back. I still love my dacs though. The whole rfi being generated by the mscaler did me in.

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #560 of 6,290
Pre ordered the 2go. Can anyone please shed some light on if hqplayer will recognise the 2gohugo2 ? Will the 2go work as a default bridge with hqplayer?
Nobody seems to know FOR CERTAIN, but the collective best guess seems to be 'no'. The protocol HQP uses (apologies - can't remember the name) is not implemented on the 2go.

Doody

EDIT: Yeah, "NAA".

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #561 of 6,290
That's a huge bummer. No NAA. I might have to reconsider the 2go. The only reason for me to get the 2go now is that the sd cards turn the hugo2 into a "DAP" . But 1200 bucks...I could get a fiio m15....

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #564 of 6,290
Yep I 100% agree. People think USB audio protocol is god-stable. It isn't. There's no error checking, there's no frame count info, there is no retransmission. I can hear changes in almost every windows audio player software, running all of them in asio. Similar case in Linux. The changes in software are mere differences in library causing changes in execution periodicity, apart from buffer schemes and few other sophisticated programs do wierder stuff to optimize audio (though system won't be optimal for other tasks). If this can change the sound, anything can change the sound.
You jumped to a conclusion that people saying one digital source is the same as another we talking about USB. I was talking about optical, my preferred method of connection and I can't hear any difference between the three optical sources I own so I'm happy to say that with my limited sample size all digital optical sources are the same and no I'm not spending $21,302,004 on another high priced optical source to prove it.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #565 of 6,290
You jumped to a conclusion that people saying one digital source is the same as another we talking about USB. I was talking about optical, my preferred method of connection and I can't hear any difference between the three optical sources I own so I'm happy to say that with my limited sample size all digital optical sources are the same and no I'm not spending $21,302,004 on another high priced optical source to prove it.

Get yourself a decent USB source and then you will hear real sound quality! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #568 of 6,290
In my experience, it doesn't matter what DAC or digital "box" you're putting data into, digital source quality matters. (I'm sure people are tired of me saying that, but it's true.)

It's true. One has to experience and dabble to find this path for themselves. It's hard to express how digital source quality matters without actual personal listening, but the difference is there. Some of us are just not boomer marketers so we do not aggressively or eloquently state the point.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #569 of 6,290
I can't hear any difference between the three optical sources I own so I'm happy to say that with my limited sample size all digital optical sources are the same and no I'm not spending $21,302,004 on another high priced optical source to prove it.

All digital optical sources may not be the same, but all optical sources you have and the links you have no sonic changes. It is not a good idea to generalize things with a limited sample without covering the source side, cable and receiver in detail.

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #570 of 6,290
The amount of low level detail that a good source can squeeze out of the music means I'm able to get lost in the music easier at a much lower volume level. The background is just so dark that the PRaT really comes out. I've never felt more "connected" to the music than I have with this source feeding my system.

Exactly my experience. I cannot stress how enjoyable it is listening at a low level with a solid digital source. It's a preference as well as hearing health is a thing. The black deep abyss background is something I noticed right away with the Hugo2 when I experimented last summer.

The PRaT. Oh, boy. I didn't realise that was a thing with a optimal digital source. I knew there was some magical synergy when I experimented, but didn't realise PRaT is likely the main factor. I mean, you change sources; PRaT is not something you expect. For me now it's everything, it's the difference between the adrenaline rush to want to listen versus forcing oneself to listen. It's just such a enjoyable musical experience. Before the Hugo2 just did not resonate, so it collects dust. Sure, it sounded fine; but it didn't bring out the emotions. Once I changed to an optimal digital source, I listen and anticipate listening everyday. Before I go months or even only a handful of time listening a year. Now, the heart starts beating and the hair stands up on the arms when I listen almost everday, I'm "connected".

I only realised this was PRaT a few weeks ago. I wanted to repeat last summer's Hugo2 experiment, so I bought a new Mojo hours before the promotional price ended. I tried a similar RPi, RPi HAT optical; but nothing. It was fine the first few nights and then it just plateued. Interest again waned and just had no passion to want to listen to the Mojo. Ok, time to bring out the big guns with my goto H2 RPi optical source w/ Lifatec glass optical. Bam, the music slows a bit and is just so controlled. There's no going back. Poly and 2Go will likely not replicate this experience.

I can see how 98% of the optical sources out there have the rhythm of listening to a television optical out. I get that, but find the right optical source; it's amazing. No Chinese spyware to install either.

I think we have similar experiences because we use the same family of S/PDIF decoder. I'm running WM8804 while Allo runs WM8805. That's the heart of the magical synergy. It's just a matter of the assemblers to implement well. Bypassing USB is the greatest thing ever as the interface is completely i2S to the decoder.

https://statics.cirrus.com/pubs/proBulletin/WM8804_WM8805_ProductFlyer.pdf

11192664.png

11192677.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back