Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 24, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #16,831 of 22,516
Hi Guys, I am still a quite new owner of HUGO2 and I am really confused on how the desktop mode works, it seems that when I use desktop mode (after 24hr plugged in) the battery would not be consumed, however everytime I am done with desktop mode (normally 1-2 hr but longer on the weekends), when I switch off HUGO2 it goes into charging (white light) for a very long time (2-3 hours), is this a normal behaviour? I thought Desktop mode was supposed to save battery charge/discharge cycle, but if i leave it plugged and every time I use it it goes into charge discharge, then what is the point? Am I doing something wrong lol.

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #16,832 of 22,516
It is normal behaviour. There is some small residual discharge of battery even in desktop mode. The charger will bring hugo 2 to 100% charge after you switch it off. The charger will automatically switch off when finished. I think it is down to 80% discharge then that last 20% is topped up.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #16,833 of 22,516
Hi Guys, I am still a quite new owner of HUGO2 and I am really confused on how the desktop mode works, it seems that when I use desktop mode (after 24hr plugged in) the battery would not be consumed, however everytime I am done with desktop mode (normally 1-2 hr but longer on the weekends), when I switch off HUGO2 it goes into charging (white light) for a very long time (2-3 hours), is this a normal behaviour? I thought Desktop mode was supposed to save battery charge/discharge cycle, but if i leave it plugged and every time I use it it goes into charge discharge, then what is the point? Am I doing something wrong lol.

It's to do with the Hugo 2 decreasing charge down to a percentage like 80%. This happens when you turn the Hugo 2 on to play music, in desktop mode. It's to do with that being the best state to keep a battery at, for battery long life. It does that so the battery is not at 100% all the time in desktop mode.

However when you turn off the Hugo 2, it charges back up ready for portable use. If you search the thread, Rob Watts answered that question for me.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #16,835 of 22,516
Not necessarily. I've been in desktop mode for months and always turn off after playing music.

Aug 26, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #16,836 of 22,516
This is the only image on the web that I could find of the optical output on your transport.

Toslink is an industry wide standard, so nothing bespoke about it. Surely the Hugo stock cable should fit into that socket.
For CDs, I find that my H2 gives great results using the optical output from a bluray player, so maybe that is an easier option for you, rather than a dedicated transport.
I imagine that owners of Blu2 will now stick voodoo pins into a doll of me, but I will cope.

I was confused at first, too, as one of the stock cables is for mini-optical to regular toslink and I think designed for DAPs like the Fiio X7ii, etc., which use mini-optical jacks. Regular DVD/CD/SACD players are all going to use standard toslink optical outputs, as you have here in the picture. For that just use the other stock optical cable that comes with the H2, or upgrade to any standard toslink fibre optic cable.

I'm listening to a cheap DVD player right now with the stock toslink cable that came with the H2 and it sounds very different, and I think a lot better, than my computer's USB with a jitterbug. I suspect using a good transport and getting some kind of power conditioner will further improve the instrument separation and acoustic qualities I'm finding here. I don't have a DAP to compare with, but the optical output from a DVD player is also much better than from my iPhone using Onkyo HF Player (which sounds decent, btw).

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #16,837 of 22,516
I was confused at first, too, as one of the stock cables is for mini-optical to regular toslink and I think designed for DAPs like the Fiio X7ii, etc., which use mini-optical jacks. Regular DVD/CD/SACD players are all going to use standard toslink optical outputs, as you have here in the picture. For that just use the other stock optical cable that comes with the H2, or upgrade to any standard toslink fibre optic cable.

I'm listening to a cheap DVD player right now with the stock toslink cable that came with the H2 and it sounds very different, and I think a lot better, than my computer's USB with a jitterbug. I suspect using a good transport and getting some kind of power conditioner will further improve the instrument separation and acoustic qualities I'm finding here. I don't have a DAP to compare with, but the optical output from a DVD player is also much better than from my iPhone using Onkyo HF Player (which sounds decent, btw).
I also use HF player On iPhone. So the dvd has a better output even though it’s atill digital files being output from it?

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #16,839 of 22,516
I also use HF player On iPhone. So the dvd has a better output even though it’s atill digital files being output from it?

I actually like HF Player for hi-res stuff and wav files when I'm just listening to the iPhone, and also as an output to the mojo or hugo 2, but I strongly suggest trying to get a CD player with optical out (toslink) just to see which is better in your ears. Obviously, it's a matter of convenience vs quality for me, and also I don't have any of my hi-res files on disc. But as for my CDs, they sound better than my WAV rips from the computer and also from the iphone. I'm listening now to a Mathias Eick album from 2011 (ECM), Sakala on CD via optical, and it sounds almost as good as my 96/24 HD Tracks download of his later album "Midwest" via USB. I would say that optical sounds more analogue to my ears.

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #16,840 of 22,516
I actually like HF Player for hi-res stuff and wav files when I'm just listening to the iPhone, and also as an output to the mojo or hugo 2, but I strongly suggest trying to get a CD player with optical out (toslink) just to see which is better in your ears. Obviously, it's a matter of convenience vs quality for me, and also I don't have any of my hi-res files on disc. But as for my CDs, they sound better than my WAV rips from the computer and also from the iphone. I'm listening now to a Mathias Eick album from 2011 (ECM), Sakala on CD via optical, and it sounds almost as good as my 96/24 HD Tracks download of his later album "Midwest" via USB. I would say that optical sounds more analogue to my ears.
My problem is I’m on the move a bit and need the portability. To be honest the whole offboard DAC with HD files playing from my iPhone has really changed things for me and brought me back into the audiophile world after many years

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #16,841 of 22,516
Just ordered the hugo2 in black with leather case to match lcd-4z that arrived mid August. Can’t wait!
Amazing pairing! Both LCD-4z and LCD-i4 works wonderfully with H2, you'll love it..
I almost bought the 4z a few times, but keep coming back to my beloved i4 because I find all full size cans uncomfortable for longer sessions.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #16,842 of 22,516
Amazing pairing! Both LCD-4z and LCD-i4 works wonderfully with H2, you'll love it..
I almost bought the 4z a few times, but keep coming back to my beloved i4 because I find all full size cans uncomfortable for longer sessions.
I know a lot of people have complained about the weight of the LCD line. I auditioned the LCD-2s before buying and I honestly didn’t find those or my LCD-4z’s to be a problem, however I do admit that the i4s look like a technical marvel and for sure the would win on comfort hands down.

For now i have paired the Audeze’s with the Oppo HA-2SE which I find to be okish but not really as musically immersive as I expected. When I was running in the headphones about 2 weeks ago they started to sound very musical (on a 20 minute listen after the first overnight run-in) but now that they have run-in more they have gained high end resolution but seem to be missing a little of the “musicality”. It’s like I can’t get “into” the music for some reason. Having said that I can’t get into the music with my B&W P7s anymore either, having used the Audeze’s, so maybe it’s just me still being in the “analytical” phase and not really “letting go” yet.

I have never listened to the H2 (or the mojo for that matter) so I have no idea what the Chord signature sound is but from the rave reviews it appears that the H2 is extremely good for both detail and musicality and also an incredible match for the Audeze’s so I’m really hoping this will bring back what is missing in my current set up. Also ordered some nordost Heimdall2 HP cables which I’m sure will influence the sound (based on previous experience with nordost).

Either way really looking forward to the set up (although my bank manager a little less so :wink: )

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #16,843 of 22,516
I know a lot of people have complained about the weight of the LCD line. I auditioned the LCD-2s before buying and I honestly I didn’t really find those to be a problem and the LCD-4z’s are even lighter, however I do admit that the i4s look like a technical marvel and for sure the would win on comfort hands down.

For now i have paired the Audeze’s with the Oppo HA-2SE which I find to be okish but not really as musically immersive as I expected. When I was running in the headphones about 2 weeks ago they started to sound very musical (on a 20 minute listen after the first overnight run-in) but now that they have run-in more they have gained high end resolution but seems to be missing a little of the “musicality”. It’s like I can’t get “into” the music for some reason. Having said that I can’t get into the music with my B&W P7s anymore either having used the Audeze’s so maybe it’s just me still being in the “analytical” phase of the Audeze’s and not really “letting go” yet.

I have never listened to the H2 (or the mojo for that matter) so I have no idea what the Chord signature sound is but from the rave reviews it appears that the H2 is extremely good for both detail and musicality and also an incredible match for the Audeze’s so I’m really hoping this will bring back what is missing in my current set up. Also ordered some nordost Heimdall2 HP cables which I’m sure will influence the sound (based on previous experience with nordost).

Either way really looking forward to the set up (although my bank manager a little less so :wink: )
The LCD 4Z is in fact a little heavier than the LCD2. (610g vs 590g).
The Oppo HA2SE is far from being enough for these cans. Some would even argue if the H2 is 'enough'. (Even though the 4z is quite efficient on paper.) These cans were not really made for portable gear.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #16,844 of 22,516
I really love using my i4’s with my Hugo2. I use Spotify’s EQ to try and get close to the Audeze reveal curve (I’m using an iPad Pro) and they sound perfect. Perfect portable headphones- sound great, easily transportable and not too uncomfortable over longer sessions.

In some ways I wish an H3 would include some kind of computer controlled EQ to make updating with reference curves like Audeze do, or provided through things like Sonarworks, would be great but not sure it’s a popular opinion.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #16,845 of 22,516
The LCD 4Z is in fact a little heavier than the LCD2. (610g vs 590g).
The Oppo HA2SE is far from being enough for these cans. Some would even argue if the H2 is 'enough'. (Even though the 4z is quite efficient on paper.) These cans were not really made for portable gear.
I stand corrected. The higher weight is in relation to the LCD-4s.

Do you think that the H2 will still not be able to power the 4z sufficiently?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back