Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #4,651 of 6,752
Mar 30, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #4,652 of 6,752
Hello everyone, I join the thread, as I am thinking of replacing my beloved DacMagic Plus with the promising Qutest.

My current setup: Mac (Roon)> USB> DacMagic > A: (Headphone) Grade RA-1> Grade RS1 / Grade 325 - B: (Speakers) Teac A-H500> Bose 301

I suppose that the change between the DacMagic and the Qutest will be remarkable, however, before buying it, I would like to hear your opinion and what you think about the integration in my configuration.

Any experience with the Qutest and the RA-1?

Thanks and I wait your tips.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #4,656 of 6,752
Qutest - the “player" of the major league. Your Teac obviously does not reach this level and can significantly reduce the advantages of this DAC. But everything happens gradually and in stages. So you have everything ahead. :L3000:

Thanks! I know that the weak part of my setup is the TEAC (now is the best I can afford), but I'm worried about the use with the Grado RA-1 too... Is this DAC too good for the rest of my components?

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #4,659 of 6,752
Thanks! I know that the weak part of my setup is the TEAC (now is the best I can afford), but I'm worried about the use with the Grado RA-1 too... Is this DAC too good for the rest of my components?
The only Grado I have is MS-1, plugging into a chain with Chord dac in it is always a revelation what a miracle Grado headphones are. There is no soundstage to speak off, but the sound, the sound is on par with all the greatest and expensive headphones I've heard. My Qutest was replaced with TT2, in my speaker system, but I still have 2Qute with LakePeople amp in a desktop system, and my Grado sound excellent.

Apr 7, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #4,660 of 6,752
The only Grado I have is MS-1, plugging into a chain with Chord dac in it is always a revelation what a miracle Grado headphones are. There is no soundstage to speak off, but the sound, the sound is on par with all the greatest and expensive headphones I've heard. My Qutest was replaced with TT2, in my speaker system, but I still have 2Qute with LakePeople amp in a desktop system, and my Grado sound excellent.
How would you rate the step up from Qutest to TT2 - worth the money?

Also, can people share what dedicated preamplifiers they're using with the Qutest? I would like one with balanced outputs. I would imagine that the preamp would need to be <£1,000 otherwise might as well fund a TT2...

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #4,661 of 6,752
How would you rate the step up from Qutest to TT2 - worth the money?

Also, can people share what dedicated preamplifiers they're using with the Qutest? I would like one with balanced outputs. I would imagine that the preamp would need to be <£1,000 otherwise might as well fund a TT2...
Depends. If you have *some* money, the things under consideration:
1. Headphone ports to drive 99% of headphones. While everybody brags their 3K+ headphones with it, my MS-1 Grado out of it is divine.
2. Ability to drive efficient speakers directly, you'd need to make or buy special adapters.
3. Better...everything, oh boy, just search... How much better? My definition - inversely proportional to the ability to pay for it.
4. Stop here, if all you care is, listening to music
5. Gives your ego a huge boost, with very colorful lights, when it comes on.

Is it really better, it is, but if I couldn't afford it, I'd be just as happy with Qutest. Still happy with 2Qute in my desktop setting and Mojo in the office.
We didn't go into M-Scaler discussion yet. I've been trying to convince myself for months that I don't need it, but every time I turn it off, I miss it.

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #4,663 of 6,752
What do you think is missing when you turn it off?
Let me try.
M Scaler has a 'bypass switch', a lot of people can hear it immediately, I'm not really one of them, or at least it is not day and night for me. The best way to describe is with analogy to photography. If you make a picture with autofocus, sharpness is not quite always there, or not where you want it. You switch to manual focus and you can tune it exactly where you want focus it to be and make it as sharp as your eye. Both photographs, with auto and manual focus can look good, but the one with manual focus is just going to be spot on, when the other one just good. The same with M Scaler, it is "sharp", the naturalness and ease of music is just so vivid. It might that last 1-5% that usually don't quite matter, but when they are there, they are there.
Music, that I usually don't care for, if it was produced/recorded well, all of a sudden I can, if not like, at least appreciate. I discovered so much that I can love.

In my book, the price is insane, but do I love what it makes me feel!

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #4,665 of 6,752
"inversely proportional to the ability to pay for it." LOL spot on.

Any feedback on preamplifiers people are using? I mainly listen to stereo rather than headphones...
Passive shunt diy pre here.

Driving Exposure power amp and Epos speakers.Extremely revealing setup-nothing is missing!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back