Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 1, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #4,726 of 6,750
Super helpful for your insights folks! I may be 'pulling the trigger' soon on one of those filtered power options for the Qutest. For me the choices seem like this. Either the

MCRU Linear Power Supply
iso.jpg

or Ciunas Audio Supercapacitor ISO-PS
iso2.jpg

However in my case I already have the Furman IT Reference 15i discrete symmetrical power filer
furman-reference-15-discrete_1_d1213863d2cbd294e0f380063454a9c2.jpg

Being that my above unit already filters the AC power, I'm wondering if that would negate the need for the two separate regulators of the MCRU power supply, making the Ciunas Audio solution more practical in my case - or if it's somehow better than the MCRU? Maybe So @AC-12 or @OctavianH or anyone has any thoughts. Thanks!

Don't forget to check out the Allo Shanti. The 5v 1.2a rail works with Qutest.

May 1, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #4,727 of 6,750
Don't forget to check out the Allo Shanti. The 5v 1.2a rail works with Qutest.
Wouldn't you be better to use the 3A output as The Qutest specs state a minimum 2A power supply? The 1.2A is more than sufficient for the clean power of the Allo DigiOne Signature.
Correction - I don't know where I got min 2A from - it is min 1A

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #4,728 of 6,750
It works fine on the 1amp rail - and I'm using the 3amp rail already to power the USBridge Signature

May 1, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #4,729 of 6,750
@AC-12 Awesome thanks for your advice. I'll try & contact the owner of Ciunas about the Supercapacitor ISO-PS. But I think I'm sold on it. The supercapacitor concept may benefit speakers, but has certainly said to be beneficial by some for the Qutest (thanks for your links), as well as in other source components I've read about having one like the Singxer SU-6 DDC / audio bridge. If no voltage regulator, no problem, and I don't think I necessarily need to mess with running it from batteries if since I use a power conditioner. I could be wrong that's just my current understanding.

And I take it you have yet to try the ISO-PS, right?

Yes, I was just throwing out another option not a recommendation. For me, I would want the flexibility to use mains or battery power for all my audio devices going forward. That's what makes the Qutest and TT2 so attractive as your power options are not limited to mains-only. Pls do your due diligence. I understand the excitement after the brain burns-in with the Chord sound.

The ISO-PS is my current primary plan once my 3 month old Mojo's battery goes kapult and is out of warranty. Instead of purchasing a $75 battery for the Mojo, I'm going this route as an alternative. I also want to experiment with the ISO-PS to power my digital source as it seems to make a difference on other digital sources. Instead of the traditional LPS mains like the photo below, I want to go the Supercapacitor route.

0DjQNpwYUm2lZPPG1bAhqw.jpeg

I'll check out Singxer SU-6 DDC / audio bridge over the weekend.

Yes, with your Furman IT Reference 15i the Supercapacitor should work fine. RW mentioned something along the line of "wanting to remove the effects of the mains PSU" so I'm assuming Supercapacitor filters or shields from what mains power supply you feed the ISO-PS. Maybe something to bring up to JK.

I think I read you can get $25 off the the ISO-PS if it does not include the SMPS. There are alternative SMPSs here:

Supercapacitor Power Supply tour

Doesn't hurt to see if their is a discount as well.

I forget there is also a 5-10 minute warm up with the Supercapacitor to store the dynamic energy.

This thread seems similar but it's a parallel "tour" thread so may want to go through this whole thread:

Supercapacitor Power Supply tour

more.png

aspro thoughts.png

impressions.png

I do love tight bass, but that's just preference...

Edit: I'll edit later on tonight if there's something I missed. GTG.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #4,731 of 6,750
Hey guys!

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a MRCU psu for my Qutest,based on the limited positive reviews I am reading...

Any last minute recommendations or opposings?

May 2, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #4,732 of 6,750
Hey guys!

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a MRCU psu for my Qutest,based on the limited positive reviews I am reading...

Yes although I've tried neither, I actually recommend you to the other hot LPS we've been talking about here, the ISO-PS from Ciunas Audio. I think @AC-12 could fill you on on the benefits of using a supercapacitor, and you can go over his recent posts about it on the last 2 pages here. And if possible AC 12... would you mind to dumb it down just a little? PLEASE?! I've a feeling you're deserting some of us here with the sophisticated tech lingo until we can't really understand what you're trying to say. I really appreciate your insights though, don't get me wrong! And I've been in touch with the owner of Ciunas Audio and he said tomorrow he'll update the webpage with new photos of the newer version which has dual outputs for two devices. Here's the site again:
https://www.ciunas.biz/product-page/copy-of-supercapacitor-power-supply-dual-voltage-outputs

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #4,733 of 6,750
Such a Ciunas Audio dual power supply of 15V might do a good job on TT2 + M-Scaler making you use only one for both. I am curious if anyone tried it on such a setup.

May 2, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #4,734 of 6,750
Such a Ciunas Audio dual power supply of 15V might do a good job on TT2 + M-Scaler making you use only one for both. I am curious if anyone tried it on such a setup.

From experience of a different make of power supply I definitely cannot recommend powering the mscaler and the chord dac from dual outputs on the same power supply.

May 2, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #4,735 of 6,750
Hey guys!

Ok-I just bought it!:smile:

My system is super analytical so I think the difference will be easily detectable.

If things go wrong,I can return it...

May 2, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #4,739 of 6,750
I hope you'll enjoy it. Mine sits there between my amp and the Qutest:

MCRU.jpg

I replaced the power cable with a Supra one when I replaced all my power cables. So that's the grey one there.
Thank you dear friend!I see you play with CXC,too!

It was one of your comments that made me try this MCRU.

BTW how do you deal with the long DC cables of this psu?Did you leave them hanging down straight below your rack or did you round them up coiled near the devices?Any sonic impact on the second method?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back