Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 25, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #4,696 of 6,752
If any other Qutest owners are interested in parting with their unit, or willing to let me borrow it for a couple of days for a review, feel free to send a PM. :D

Hoping to do a shootout between it and the ADI-2 + ARES II. All different price points but special in their own right. I heard the Hugo 2 pretty extensively at Canjam but a loud auditorium isn't an ideal location to pickup on DAC characteristics.

Apr 28, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #4,697 of 6,752
So I've already gotten my BNC / SDI cable from BlueJeans cable co. a few days ago, and it's a great Improvement vs with USB direct, and even better than USB direct also vis ifi Micro iPurifier and Wyrd in between. And I'm using it with those two along with the Singxer SU-1, now with the BNC / SDI cable into the Qutest. I'm noticing even better soundstage, dynamics, and more resolving drums, if that makes any sense.

Looking to go for the gold, maxing out potential on this Qutest... Would anybody mind to tell me what the best and most affordable option is for power isolation on the Qutest? I've heard that it can benefit from some kind of power treatment.

Also, what is the purpose of this process below?
It consists of a blue Alps pot and a Vishay Zfoil resistor.The box,including the pot and RCAs was bought from Ebay.Search as passive Alps preamplifier and you will find it.The electrical connection is easily found on the internet.20190719_111013.jpg

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #4,699 of 6,752
Passive volume control. It is used instead of the pre-amplifier. It is installed between the source (DAC, CD player, etc.) and the power amplifier or active speakers.
That's odd, I've never heard / seen about passive volume controls before even after 10 years in the hobby and a lot of events. With my limited exposure to the concept it would seem to just add a longer signal path and another redundant volume knob since most amps already have a volume knob. Or am I missing any possible benefit?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #4,700 of 6,752
I just keep my laptop source volume (XMOS direct tunnel) at 100% and control the volume through the amp. For a pre-amp the only time I use one is before my electrostat rig, but even then it's not necessary so the only function that serves is as a tube buffer to add some nice tube warmth / soundstage.

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #4,701 of 6,752
And is there any sort of consensus on any alternative power supply / treatment option that gives better sound with the Qutest than the included wall-wart? (hopefully affordable) I thought I've read about this improving the sound of it somewhere.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #4,702 of 6,752
That's odd, I've never heard / seen about passive volume controls before even after 10 years in the hobby and a lot of events. With my limited exposure to the concept it would seem to just add a longer signal path and another redundant volume knob since most amps already have a volume knob. Or am I missing any possible benefit?
:)
I meant a pure power amplifier, without a block of adjustments and switching. There is an opinion (I am not a supporter of this opinion) that the pre-amplifier or the corresponding unit in the integrated amplifier negatively affects the sound quality.

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #4,703 of 6,752
And is there any sort of consensus on any alternative power supply / treatment option that gives better sound with the Qutest than the included wall-wart? (hopefully affordable) I thought I've read about this improving the sound of it somewhere.
The developer of this device (Rob Watts) believes that this is unnecessary. Here it was repeatedly discussed.

Apr 28, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #4,704 of 6,752

The passive pre amp comes into its own between a fixed output source such as a Quest and a power amplifier which has no volume control.

My favoured passive pre is a Transformer Volume Control (TVC) such as made by Music First. I find them to be much more transparent than an active preamp and not far off the transparency of the volume control of the Dave. My prized possession is a Music First Classic V2 pre amp with with silver wired transformers.

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #4,705 of 6,752
The developer of this device (Rob Watts) believes that this is unnecessary. Here it was repeatedly discussed.

I have read through Rob's opinion on the stock wall wart being sufficient, a battery eliminating any problems that may exist in the home power supply, the Qutest having galvanic isolation, and an unplugged laptop being ideal as well.

I generally agree with everything Rob says. Certainly an unplugged laptop is King so far. But power wise I do have to disagree. I tried battery packs, and they were ok/good/not much of a difference as compared to plugging into the wall. I did however NOT find any kind of battery power that was ideal. The battery Rob suggests in unobtainium, and I cannot find a battery that is native 5V, not 3.7v noisily switched to 5V.

I got a small but definite improvement by plugging the Qutest into a Power Isolator. I considered the issue of Power to the Qutest solved a long time ago, with Rob's untouched godlike reputation as an oracle still in tact.

Then there was a discussion on another thread about whether there was merit to creating clean DC power, even if using a high quality power isolator. Theoretically I thought, yes, a specific device to create clean DC power would do something different that a power isolator/AC power cleaner doesnt do. I found a local dealer of an "entry level" DC power creation product, the Sbooster, and gave it a demo.

I no longer believe EVERYTHING Rob says. Just most of it. Replacing the wall wart can make a big difference, but as with anything, the system is only as good as the weakest link. I was shocked that the $469 CAD price point 5v dc power Sbooster made such a difference, I was expecting to maybe see a small increase, like upgrading a power cable, or putting some vibration control under an amp, or no benefit at all. I thought I might have to spend the big bucks if I wanted even a small improvement.

I definitely feel that for 20% of the price of the Chord Qutest, I got a deal as everything just got noticeably better

I have a almost full range loudspeaker setup with a fully treated room. I noticed the timbre was instantly more natural, even if I didn't understand before what Timbre was, it was just better, and I instantly understood what is was. The background details crystalized together clearer than ever before. The first 3 tracks I played from my collection of reference tracks Ive played hundreds of times brought 1+ new discoveries per track. The difference isn't debatable. All of a sudden I was able to determine which of my favorite tracks had subtle harmonies and which were just echos or instruments that complimented vocals. Certain tracks had vocals in the background that added a general ambiance to the music, but that now became distinct entities themselves. All of a sudden I could follow every word and nuance of the choirs in the background, even when they weren't thrust prominently to the foreground for a chorus.

As for the Sbooster, I know it works, but Im not sure if similar results can be had for less money, or if better results can be had for more money.

What I do know is that Rob Watts is full of crap RE: stock wall wart. And this is probably the only time ever I will get to say that :)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #4,708 of 6,752
I have read through Rob's opinion on the stock wall wart being sufficient, a battery eliminating any problems that may exist in the home power supply, the Qutest having galvanic isolation, and an unplugged laptop being ideal as well.

I generally agree with everything Rob says. Certainly an unplugged laptop is King so far. But power wise I do have to disagree. I tried battery packs, and they were ok/good/not much of a difference as compared to plugging into the wall. I did however NOT find any kind of battery power that was ideal. The battery Rob suggests in unobtainium, and I cannot find a battery that is native 5V, not 3.7v noisily switched to 5V.

I got a small but definite improvement by plugging the Qutest into a Power Isolator. I considered the issue of Power to the Qutest solved a long time ago, with Rob's untouched godlike reputation as an oracle still in tact.

Then there was a discussion on another thread about whether there was merit to creating clean DC power, even if using a high quality power isolator. Theoretically I thought, yes, a specific device to create clean DC power would do something different that a power isolator/AC power cleaner doesnt do. I found a local dealer of an "entry level" DC power creation product, the Sbooster, and gave it a demo.

I no longer believe EVERYTHING Rob says. Just most of it. Replacing the wall wart can make a big difference, but as with anything, the system is only as good as the weakest link. I was shocked that the $469 CAD price point 5v dc power Sbooster made such a difference, I was expecting to maybe see a small increase, like upgrading a power cable, or putting some vibration control under an amp, or no benefit at all. I thought I might have to spend the big bucks if I wanted even a small improvement.

I definitely feel that for 20% of the price of the Chord Qutest, I got a deal as everything just got noticeably better

I have a almost full range loudspeaker setup with a fully treated room. I noticed the timbre was instantly more natural, even if I didn't understand before what Timbre was, it was just better, and I instantly understood what is was. The background details crystalized together clearer than ever before. The first 3 tracks I played from my collection of reference tracks Ive played hundreds of times brought 1+ new discoveries per track. The difference isn't debatable. All of a sudden I was able to determine which of my favorite tracks had subtle harmonies and which were just echos or instruments that complimented vocals. Certain tracks had vocals in the background that added a general ambiance to the music, but that now became distinct entities themselves. All of a sudden I could follow every word and nuance of the choirs in the background, even when they weren't thrust prominently to the foreground for a chorus.

As for the Sbooster, I know it works, but Im not sure if similar results can be had for less money, or if better results can be had for more money.

What I do know is that Rob Watts is full of crap RE: stock wall wart. And this is probably the only time ever I will get to say that :)

Quite helpful info. thanks. When you said you plugged the Qutest into a power isolator, do you mean you plugged the wall-wart into something like a power regenerator or power conditioner? For me, my wall-wart has been plugged into my Furman IT REF 15I Power Conditioner all along. I assumed this may not make a difference with the Qutest, being that the power to it is still switched from AC to DC within the wall-wart. When I get home I will try connecting my Qutest into a mobile power bank, but hopefully that won't cause too much of a surge or anything? It's definitely 5 volts, but it may / may not be one or two AH higher than what it needs.

Also, do you mind to post the link for which thread that was, which you said they were talking about the merits to creating clean DC power?

Also @jbarrentine you said you didn't hear a difference with the iFi iPower into the DAC. I was curious what is your chain? Which hadphones, amp, and do you listen to well mastered lossless audio files? Not saying the power purifier must make an audible difference, just that perhaps your gear was affecting the ability to notice it.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #4,709 of 6,752
I'm definitely interested in those clean power options. I just tried powering the Qutest direct from my mobile powerbank and, from a semi-brief comparison with the same track on a loop what I seemed to notice was perhaps better defined drums and more distinct individual instruments within the sound field and maybe even more organic overall. Not any thorough or scientific comparison so I could be off here, but I would be interested in any more affordable option than the USB Sbooster if any available. It does sound good with the original wall wart still.

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #4,710 of 6,752

One of the UK HiFi said that changing PSU improved the Qutest.

I have been tempted to try the iFi Power purifiers.

However ages I bought an iFi USB mini something gadget, with a clean 5V power source on it. After a quick test I heard zero difference.

In theory if we can clean up USB cable rails with Jitterbug which works. Then we should be able to clean the power rails on the 5V supply similarly.

However there was a post in the 2Go thread recently that might be of more interest to you. @Currawong found that noise affecting the Hugo 2, was not coming from the PSU and into the Hugo 2. That PSU is said to be RFI treated anyway. The noise was going out of the Hugo 2 PSU, and into the mains and then into an amplifier power supply. An amplfier used for driving speakers.

I think there may be a conclusion that using filter power blocks helps. I have two six socket filtered supplies, because I read they worked. However I never tested and got reduced RFI with any power cleaning tests I did. Either way though, I would love to try the SBooster.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back