Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 22, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #5,296 of 6,751
it all comes down to personal preference but I did not like the Ares 2 at all compared to the qutest when a friend brought his round to try in my system. He sold the Ares a couple of weeks after he heard the comparison but I still have my Qutest.
Personal preference, I’ll agree with that. R2Rs sound much different than chip dacs. I went from a Mojo to Qutest and ended with the Denafrips Ares2 in my Stax setup. Liked it so much so, I’m preordering the Pontus, currently on back order, for my home system. The price to performance ratio is just nuts on these pieces based on my experience with the Ares2 and reviews on the other pieces in the line up. Would have loved going even higher up the chain, sure to be even happier, but I won’t spend anymore than what the Pontus comes in at for digital conversion pieces, as they tend to become obsolete the fastest of all audio gear.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #5,297 of 6,751
Just a note to fellow Qutest owners.. if u haven't auditioned it with an Mscaler.. and can aquire the means and will to fund one.. go and try this combo. Its a game changer.

I can truly recommend it after becoming a owner myself.

Dec 26, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #5,298 of 6,751
Just a note to fellow Qutest owners.. if u haven't auditioned it with an Mscaler.. and can aquire the means and will to fund one.. go and try this combo. Its a game changer.

I can truly recommend it after becoming a owner myself.
So it takes the Mscaler with the Qutest to really shine? $4800 + $1700 = $6500, game change? I certainly would hope so. Add in headphones of the same quality level and you’re over $10K, just for a headset audio! So yes, having the means would be a wonderful thing indeed! 🎧

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #5,299 of 6,751
So yes, having the means would be a wonderful thing indeed! 🎧

I must agree its cosly. I started with a AK120 dap driving my 300 ohm HD800 which i SD modded. And holded on to this for 4 years even finding its dual Wolfson setup sounding better than its AK successors. Later i got myself a Mojo cause i heard what it does with live instruments in music..

But i still kept grabbing my AK cause to my ears it had more open clear soundstage. This was due to the high roll off filter which is fixed in Mojo.
I heard the H2 with selectable filters but it was too expensive to justify.

1 year later the Qutest came for half the price and i bought one 2nd hand for €1k
to pair it with a 2nd hand Questyle CMA400 for €400 which i modded to take analog input into the amp section.

But after reading users having succes with driving their HP straight out the RCA's i tried and was blown by the clarity.
I even modded my Qutest by placing low Z buffer caps on the internal voltage feed to the final OP stage.

Now i saw Qutest owners trading in for a TT2 but doubting a Mscaler.. and as attractive i found it.. i went the scaler way.

All i say is i think i made the right choice with the Ms to get to hear true Chord lifelike sound. But for the cheapest price possible, which is still heavy on my wallet but for me worth every penny.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #5,300 of 6,751
All i say is i think i made the right choice with the Ms to get to hear true Chord lifelike sound. But for the cheapest price possible, which is still heavy on my wallet but for me worth every penny.
Some say the TT2 is to analytical, having never heard one so I can’t say it for sure is, but the Qutest certainly was not to my ears though like I said i went to a R2R design to get what I needed. It’s just a shame one has to add that kind of money, in the retail market, to get something ”true Chord lifelike”. But with careful buying on the used market you've seemed to get to an end game set up, that sounds to be worthy of the money and time you spent getting there and has seemingly brought you to where you needed to be. Efforts pay off! Cheers...🎧

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #5,301 of 6,751
Some say the TT2 is to analytical, having never heard one so I can’t say it for sure is, but the Qutest certainly was not to my ears though like I said i went to a R2R design to get what I needed.

I would say the TT2 is more revealing than the Qutest but analytical is not a word I would use, at least not when paired with my Empy's or VO.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #5,302 of 6,751
I would say the TT2 is more revealing than the Qutest but analytical is not a word I would use, at least not when paired with my Empy's or VO.

I listened to TT2 too and if i use a HP amp with Qutest i agree TT is more revealing.. but without amp i can't tell the difference that easy anymore.

A big strenght of TT is having as short as possible signal path through the analog output circuitry with most shaping filters in the digital domain, no intelink cables to a amp or RF/ground issues on the output side. Keeping the analog chain 'simple'.

I've heard the H2 several times but found it a bit too sharp (dry) somehow where Qutest has a tad fuller sound. Which is just the sweet spot for me.

Now with the HMs i entered a whole new level of pure musical bliss..
I understand truly what Rob's quest for persuing accurate timing was all about and how the results even amazed him too. As he stated in these forums.

I'm wholefully grateful to him.. and the Chord team for giving him the room to realise his theories.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #5,303 of 6,751
Darko compared the Qutest with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

He said:
  • the Qutest is better at the illusionary depth of soundstage.
  • the RME DAC with an off the shelf chip gets to leading edges of sounds better.

RME's ADI-2 DAC FS is *the* DAC to beat at €1K - YouTube

The only aspect that I can see that the RME has, is a S/N ratio equal to the Qutest. Plus it will be as good as the AKM AK4493 can be implemented at this price point of DAC. However it could not possibly equal the Qutest in terms of detail retrieval; could it? As far as I can see though, all DACs that use an FPGA are the best in class.

Calling the Qutest soundstage depth 'illusionary', speaks volumes. To me, it's the detail that Chord give digital music that creates the soundstage. (Plus the soundstage detail to very edges.) Since having the right detail retrieval in music, gives music the directional cues.

As far as I know, but I might very well be wrong. It's possible to extend/fake soundstage width, but not depth.

Granted the AKM AK4493 will be a great chip. However I am guessing Darko has mistaken a less detailed leading edge sound, as a thicker leading edge sound. Maybe it's just a more fuller sounding DAC also, that gives leading edges more meat. I still think the Qutest will hit the leading more quickly though. As just going by numbers its transients must be faster.

In the interests of fairness though - I have not heard the RME DAC. An open mind then.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #5,304 of 6,751
In the interests of fairness though - I have not heard the RME DAC. An open mind then.

I have owned the RME dac and was able to compare to a Qutest over several months. I found it to have a fatiguing harshness on some music that was only cured by selecting a filter with top end roll off in the audible spectrum. Also, despite statements to the contrary from the designer, the RME did sound better in that area with a good LPS power supply. I sold the RME and kept the Qutest.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #5,305 of 6,751
Exciting times.. After a few months of reading and visiting forums I finally decided on the Qutest. Supposed to be arriving today. :beerchug:

Great way to end a crappy year !

And there it is !

20201230_095749.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #5,306 of 6,751
I have owned the RME dac and was able to compare to a Qutest over several months. I found it to have a fatiguing harshness on some music that was only cured by selecting a filter with top end roll off in the audible spectrum. Also, despite statements to the contrary from the designer, the RME did sound better in that area with a good LPS power supply. I sold the RME and kept the Qutest.

Now you mention it, I think I remember you saying that before. Thanks for your thoughts.

(If I were looking at that price point, and not buying Chord at all. I think I would buy the Audiolab M-DAC+. ... Bargains to be had on that DAC.)

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #5,307 of 6,751
OK, first impressions...

Compaired to the Cambridge Dacmagic 100 the Qutest is just in another league...

I am just letting it work, whether it's PC-flac or just TV from my LGC9 via optical.. Everything I hear so far is better, simply better..
Already sure I'm hearing more detail, and hearing detail better... And it looks Qute...

20201230_193905 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #5,308 of 6,751
I had doubts between the RME and Qutest. Listened to them both. Bought the Qutest but I rememberd there was 'more music' out of it. Also finer details.
But....make sure to use the right cables! I've tried a few, as interlink, and came out with Cristal Cable. Siltecht was also very nice.

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #5,309 of 6,751
OK, first impressions...

Compaired to the Cambridge Dacmagic 100 the Qutest is just in another league...

I am just letting it work, whether it's PC-flac or just TV from mu LGC9 via optical.. Everything I hear so far is better, simply better..
Already sure I'm hearing more detail, and hearing detail better... And it looks Qute...

20201230_193905 (2).jpg

Nice set up, but Ikea plankjes? :wink:

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #5,310 of 6,751
Nice set up, but Ikea plankjes? :wink:
The black one in front of it is actually a Target Audio rack.. But yeah.. IKEA it is.. I am going to use some dampening stuff, but it is the most acceptable way to go in my current set-up..

Qutest still sounds Qute on IKEA, though.. And with this IKEA-rack you don't need the 'slllleutelllltje'... :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back