Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #61 of 6,739
Yes all configuration settings are remembered.
The BNC inputs are individually selected, and will automatically go into dual data mode.

That's great news - many thanks Rob!

Now I just need to decide whether to go for the Qutest paired with my existing headphone amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear), or hold out for a future Hugo TT with dual BNC inputs...

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #62 of 6,739
Anyone else a bit underwhelmed by Chord’s CES news? Disappointed even?

Not me. Qutest is great news and very cutting edge.

I'm happy to wait till silicon tech advances to the point when it may become possible to do a lower cost digital player with an integrated M scaler.

Meantime, some breathing space to iron out current tech and more experiments on future tech.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #63 of 6,739
Thanks, I realise this however the Mojo I have now, uses DoP, and is associated with audio drop outs when using DSD128 or 256, this isn't a processing power issue but to do with the Mojo itself and DoP. The Qutest uses Native DSD instead (including mac) so hopefully this issue won't repeat.

Regards

I see where you’re coming from. :)

Actually, the issue is OSX. DSD worked fine until Mavericks was released. With the DAVE there are dropouts with DSD so, unfortunately, I suspect that it will be the same with the Qutest. I personally doubt it has anything to do with the Mojo having issues with DoP itself.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #67 of 6,739
Jan 10, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #68 of 6,739
Screenshot_2018-01-10-17-02-31.png
Umm

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #70 of 6,739
If you want to drive HP, get a Hugo 2. Any external amp will degrade transparency - you just can't escape that. And my listening tests with HP was that galvanic isolation was not required as the USB input sounded the same as optical. You only need galvanic isolation when driving amplifiers that are mains powered....

So the qutest isn't design for headphone in this case so what is it for, speakers? Also I kept hearing external amp degrade transparency of the dac, especially chord dac. the qutest can't do anything without an amp so in the end, I still need an amp, isn't it? Thank you to anyone for inputs.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #72 of 6,739
So the qutest isn't design for headphone in this case so what is it for, speakers? Also I kept hearing external amp degrade transparency of the dac, especially chord dac. the qutest can't do anything without an amp so in the end, I still need an amp, isn't it? Thank you to anyone for inputs.

Yes, that’s correct. See below...

If you want to drive HP, get a Hugo 2. Any external amp will degrade transparency - you just can't escape that. And my listening tests with HP was that galvanic isolation was not required as the USB input sounded the same as optical. You only need galvanic isolation when driving amplifiers that are mains powered....

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #73 of 6,739
It was indeed designed principally for speaker based systems.
But some like the coloration that external headphone amps create - and of course some headphones need added warmth - then Qutest would apply. But if it is transparency, coupled with refinement that one prefers, then I am afraid it's gotta be Hugo 2 or Dave...

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #74 of 6,739
It was indeed designed principally for speaker based systems.
But some like the coloration that external headphone amps create - and of course some headphones need added warmth - then Qutest would apply. But if it is transparency, coupled with refinement that one prefers, then I am afraid it's gotta be Hugo 2 or Dave...

But don't most speaker amps also color the sound to a relatively significant extent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back