Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 1, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #812 of 6,752
I think initial question was in comparison of Qutest and Hugo2 used as DACs. I understand that integrated solution like Hugo could have it`s benefits (shorter signal path, good volume regulation implementation and so on) against separate amp+DAC system. But if we take Hugo2 and Qutest and use them as DACs for an external amp, would those two sound exactly the same?
I think your question was already answered. De Qutest sounds better.

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #814 of 6,752
How does qutest sounds without the regen?

The Qutest sounds more open and slightly richer with the ISO Regen. Background is also blacker and quieter, allowing more details to surface as a result.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #815 of 6,752
Is this DAC something you would use with a headphone amplifier like "Violectric HPA V281". Or should i look for another DAC for the amp?

**Noob question? First post here :wink:**

Since no one else has, let me extended the customary:
Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry for your wallet :wink:

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #821 of 6,752
Mar 4, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #822 of 6,752
so USB galvanic isolation is a chimera

It's not.

Trust me, I owned MANY DACs these lasts years and almost all of them took, more or less, audible noise from my computer via the USB input (worst case: Nuprime DAC-9). This noise was very audible in my MA Silver 10 tweeters, less with headphones.

The Qutest is DEAD SILENT pluged in USB on my system, and this is the first DAC I own to work that way.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #823 of 6,752
One thing I can confirm, even thought the 2qute was 3v and the highest setting on the Qutest is 3v, the Qutest is running higher voltage than the 2qute. I’ve been running the same system for years with the 2qute with zero overloading issues, but I have them very rarely on the Qutest now, had to switch it to 2v to solve the issue, and even at 2v, it’s practically the same volume the 2qute was when it was 3v.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #824 of 6,752
One thing I can confirm, even thought the 2qute was 3v and the highest setting on the Qutest is 3v, the Qutest is running higher voltage than the 2qute. I’ve been running the same system for years with the 2qute with zero overloading issues, but I have them very rarely on the Qutest now, had to switch it to 2v to solve the issue, and even at 2v, it’s practically the same volume the 2qute was when it was 3v.

Interesting.

I was also wondering which voltage I should use. I'm OK with the 2V but found the 3V brought a little more life but maybe was seeming to be overloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back