Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 6, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #871 of 6,752
@x RELIC x the setup up I have has been the same for a few years, I know it very well. I can perceive very subtle changes easily. My favorite album is the 192k Neil diamond album “you don’t bring me flowers”, and is my go to reference album. On the 2qute at 75 on the volume, I used to be in awe, still am but the level at 75 with the Qutest make me now uncomfortable as you feel like your being intimidated so to Speak.
Sure, it could be down to other things apart from volume, but yes, it’s interesting.

And no, I have no way to test the out put from my amp.

It is interesting and I am just thinking out loud here. It also may just be down to the different audio presentations between the 2Qute and the Qutest, 2Vrms vs 3Vrms output aside.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #873 of 6,752
so... I'm not human? :anguished:

:grinning:

LOL! :sweat_smile:

I also enjoy listening at low to moderate volume (75-80dB on average) but as I mentioned previously a very small change in loudness, that may not be perceived as actually sounding louder, is often considered more dynamic. A 3dB change in volume is where most average people can readily notice a change in loudness. A 1dB change in loudness is what is considered the threshold for the perception for a change in loudness, on average. Typically people do notice as little as 0.5dB difference but it’s usually described as more dynamic rather than louder.

Just some condensed info on potential reasons why differences may be heard, tuning and performance differences aside, when empirically they shouldn’t be. Like I said, I’m just thinking out loud and not asserting that this is a definitive reason. There are many factors involved which makes it difficult to pin point the reason why we hear such differences.

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #874 of 6,752
Today i received the Sbooster 5v for driving the Qutest I must say ,i like what i hear, it makes a difference in sound quality compared to the stock PSU,more than i expected .With the Sbooster instruments and voices gained in solidity and 3 dimensionality ,soundstage dept improved .Also the bass reproduction is more tight and the Sbooster is not even been burned in yet .So this looks very promising

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #875 of 6,752
@x RELIC x the setup up I have has been the same for a few years, I know it very well. I can perceive very subtle changes easily. My favorite album is the 192k Neil diamond album “you don’t bring me flowers”, and is my go to reference album. On the 2qute at 75 on the volume, I used to be in awe, still am but the level at 75 with the Qutest make me now uncomfortable as you feel like your being intimidated so to Speak.
Sure, it could be down to other things apart from volume, but yes, it’s interesting.

And no, I have no way to test the out put from my amp.

75/100? What is the SPL in the room? Just curious...

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #876 of 6,752
It is interesting and I am just thinking out loud here. It also may just be down to the different audio presentations between the 2Qute and the Qutest, 2Vrms vs 3Vrms output aside.

You May be correct, as like Rob said, different presentation, it just for me to decide if I like it. It may also be a synergy thing, my system loved the tone of the 2qute, emphasis on the word tone, where as the Qutest is way more forward, where at the same volume, the Brooklyn is caramel. This is the fine line between detail and musicality. Sure you can design something that rips apart all the details of a song, but at the same time, it has to be enjoyable, and I’m not enjoying the Qutest at all really. I want my 2qute back. This is why vinyl is popular, tone and musicality.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #878 of 6,752
75/99 and for that album I mentioned above, spl is average 94.2db and peak is 98.7

Ok, I've recently developed tinnitus and was wondering how much of this can be attributed to clean digital signals? Vinyl/Tape and distortion made things sound like speakers were about to come apart and made you turn it down...

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #881 of 6,752
a good 4 -5 days of use you will find changes over time for the better.
i am sure mr watts has isolated the dac from the provided switching supply as has been stated.
having switching wall wart in the electical system chain is not ideal battery power or other is best i am using a paul hynes sr4 and uptone audio ultra cap because i had them they are 2 of the best on the market i use them because i have them.
i also have a big anker usb battery that will last for days
why use a wall wart if you have better that is all
make ebay your friend why pay new price for great cables when you can get over 60% cheaper buying used also the cables will be broken in
i have been using vintage chord cable chord prodac i have regular type and the silver version every week used ones on ebay.
i have been experimenting with really old high end 75ohm broadcast tv video cable,2nd hand ebay qed referance 75ohm digital cable,audio quest make good stuff as well for the dac cd connection.
again using 2nd hand chord clearway cable for connecting to amp also black rhodium brand vintage cables all great quality and a cheaper way too experiment than buying new.
if you do not like the cable send it back or stick it back on ebay after a few weeks always buyers
learning how to output the lowest voltage on cutest by reading the online manual is important
having an evening with different filters is also an idea rather than pressing buttons every 5 secs green setting is my favorite.
as someone said in an earlier post the design is top notch discreet very grown up.
i powered down for 4 days powered up tonight and it remembers the voltage output settings i put in 2 weeks ago very cute est.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #882 of 6,752
You May be correct, as like Rob said, different presentation, it just for me to decide if I like it. It may also be a synergy thing, my system loved the tone of the 2qute, emphasis on the word tone, where as the Qutest is way more forward, where at the same volume, the Brooklyn is caramel. This is the fine line between detail and musicality. Sure you can design something that rips apart all the details of a song, but at the same time, it has to be enjoyable, and I’m not enjoying the Qutest at all really. I want my 2qute back. This is why vinyl is popular, tone and musicality.

Does 2cute or Qutest oversample by default? If so, any chance Qutest oversample to a higher bit rate? I'm asking because I wonder if the distortion you are experiencing maybe clipping. It's very common for a clipping to occur during oversampling unless a dac is built with some headroom. If Qutest oversample to a higher bit rate, I suppose it maybe more susceptible for a clipping than 2cute. But, I never had neither, so just I'm just guessing here. If you can turn off oversampling with Qutest, you can test if the distortion still occurs with no oversampling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back