Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #1,141 of 6,752
I recently bought a Chord Qutest and can't really enjoy it because it sounds extremly bright and harsh. Has anyone noticed the same problem?

It may be that it just needs more break-in time. Even What HiFi noted: "It takes quite a few hours of operation for the Qutest to lose its out-of-the-box midrange hardness." whathifi.com/chord/qutest/review#PsIImsl8rWhZF9cd.99.

Mine sounded great out of the box but then turned quite rude for a while. I've got about 150 hours on it now and it sounds great again.
If you want to speed the running process you could consider running a "break -in" disc like this one: https://telluriumq.com/system-disc/.

Don't give up on the Qutest. It's a fantastic DAC.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,142 of 6,752
Thanks for the advice. My main system: desktop running Foobar with Fidelizer, Qutest, 2 x Marantz pm14s1SE bi-amp, Van de Hull Snowline (copper with silver), B&W 804D3, dedicated listening room with Akotherm absorption. I’ve tried all output levels on the Qutest. After some more burn-in time I’m planning on changing the cables, the Snowline do probably emphasize the higher notes. My Audiolab qdac sounds fine in this set up.

In my experience, B&W speakers are on the clinical side and can easily get bright and edgy with incorrect component matching. As others have pointed out, it is likely that the Audiolab may have balanced things out. I once had a pair of 802D (v1) and simply could not get it to work in my room so had to sell it on. If it gets to the point you have tried all options without luck, I would suggest you try another pair of speakers - similar calibre, different brand. Maybe try borrow from a friend just to try in your room and setup.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,143 of 6,752
It may be that it just needs more break-in time. Even What HiFi noted: "It takes quite a few hours of operation for the Qutest to lose its out-of-the-box midrange hardness." whathifi.com/chord/qutest/review#PsIImsl8rWhZF9cd.99.

Mine sounded great out of the box but then turned quite rude for a while. I've got about 150 hours on it now and it sounds great again.
If you want to speed the running process you could consider running a "break -in" disc like this one: https://telluriumq.com/system-disc/.

Don't give up on the Qutest. It's a fantastic DAC.

My Qutest is playing around the clock........ waiting for the miracle to happen :)

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,144 of 6,752
In my experience, B&W speakers are on the clinical side and can easily get bright and edgy. As others have pointed out, it is likely that the Audiolab may have balanced things out. I once had a 802D (v1) and simply could not get it to work in my room so had to sell it on. If it gets to the point you have tried all options without luck, I would suggest you try another pair of speakers - similar calibre, different brand. Maybe try borrow from a friend just to try in your room and setup.[/QU

The 804D3 are definitly bright, but really great speakers. Combined with the Audiolab they really sing. I have a second set with XT8 speakers and a nice set of Canton speakers, after the burn-in I will change the set.

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,146 of 6,752
Is there a tonal difference regarding the power settings (1V, 2V or 3V)? Or does this only have to do with the volume?

Many Thanks!

It has to do with the volume and our perception of sound. I recommend doing a web search for “equal loudness contours” which will explain it.

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,148 of 6,752
Isn’t the output setting there to help match to your amplifier’s (or preamp) input sensitivity, more than anything else?

Yes. For most amps, which have the volume control on the input, it will just affect the usable volume range. For some though, like Audio-gd, the volume is on the output of the first gain stage, so if you overload the inputs you'll get distortion. 2V is standard.

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #1,149 of 6,752
Yes. For most amps, which have the volume control on the input, it will just affect the usable volume range. For some though, like Audio-gd, the volume is on the output of the first gain stage, so if you overload the inputs you'll get distortion. 2V is standard.

Ok, you’re talking about HP amps. Most speaker amps do not have a volume control. For volume control, you can use digital (like in Roon or other player software) or an active or passive preamp.

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,151 of 6,752
Ok, I know hugo2 use USB charging port because of its portable use, but why Qutest also use USB instead of wall charger?
Any benefits?
My guess would be that Chord figured users wouldn't accidentally plug in an incorrect voltage charger and fry the unit. With a USB micro input, without some DIY, most folks are going to conform to the 5V standard.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #1,152 of 6,752
Ok, you’re talking about HP amps. Most speaker amps do not have a volume control. For volume control, you can use digital (like in Roon or other player software) or an active or passive preamp.
Passive preamps work exactly like input volume controls. In this case 3v output will work best.
1st because lower output impedance of passive preamp. For passive preamp it is important, because, long wires between it and a first stage of amplification. For a volume control on an input of integrated amplifier it is less important, because short wires between it and a first stage of amplification.
2nd because lover signal to noise ratio.

For software volume control 1v output will work best. Most of power amplifiers have 1 to 2 volts input sensitivity (Max voltage before clipping).

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #1,153 of 6,752

That's only for power amps. I cannot imagine an integrated amp without volume control.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,155 of 6,752
Hello.I want to buy this DAC to use it with Cambridge CXA 60 and Dynaudio M 20 speakers.My simple question is :do i need a preamplifier or i can connect the DAC directly to Cambridge CXA 60 ?Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back