CHORD HUGO preview report
Feb 21, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #485 of 519
I would also blame the AK. I believe few people reported this issue about the AK.
Anyway 192/24 is sooooo last year. why bother ? Real audiophile only listen to 384/32. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #486 of 519

Maybe your AK can not send 24/192 through optical out.

My RWAK100 send 24/192 correctly through optical out to my RWA BellinaPRO DAC.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #487 of 519
Maybe can also try different toslink cable, afaik ak100 can send 24/192 i tried before
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/question-on-toslink-24-96-ceiling.279987/

I kinda agree 24/192 is pretty last year because I now mostly use redbook due to a more vast music collection... It gets boring after a while listening to limited number of highres albums.. LoL

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #490 of 519
HUGO does not work with 192/24 optical Input.

Maybe can also try different toslink cable, afaik ak100 can send 24/192 i tried before
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/question-on-toslink-24-96-ceiling.279987/ ...

The Hugo does work with 24/192 via its optical input.

@eyeliberty, I agree with @CosmicHolyGhost that you should definitely try another optical cable. While every optical cable I have here can pass 24/96--including my super-cheap ones from origins unknown--only a few can reliably pass 24/192.

Here's a photo I just took of the Astell&Kern AK120 passing 24/176.4 and 24/192 to the Hugo. Look at the Hugo's sample rate indicator (light blue for 176.4 and dark blue for 192) and the display on the AK120. (To see larger, more detailed versions of these photos, click on each of them.)

The optical cable I'm using in this shot works reliably, rock-steady--every time--with 24/192, if the DAC on the receiving end supports 24/192 via optical, and the Hugo definitely does.

The cable in the photo is one I custom-ordered from Sys Concept Inc., and can be found by clicking here. It is a very high-quality 1300-strand optical cable that was custom-fit for an AK120 / HiFi-M8 LX rig. (I have yet to order one for a Hugo-based rig, but will definitely do so at some point.)

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #492 of 519
Here is a mail I sent to CHORD.  I hope it may help....

"Dear sir, 
please find here is my humble suggestion:

I was tempted to get the HUGO, almost ordered it, but I finally didn't because of Lack of appropriante source ( Android/iPad/iPhone & Sony: not enough capacity,   Ak100/120 & X5: I don't Like their UI,    AK240: too expensive,   Calyx M (which fit all the marks)... has No digital OUT).

Of course, an Android or iDevice and a 1TB Seagate Wireless Pro (NAS) wirelessly attached could become a good source, but then... is a 3 pieces setup ! 

But.... Imagine (I dream) a transport of the same size than the HUGO that will attach (clip) under the HUGO ! It may even use some proprietary connection in between the HUGO and the Transport to avoid cables. 

--> This will be a hell of a SINGLE 1 Piece DAP brick.

So...I really believe that CHORD should release à transport ( no Dac no Amp) "companion" to the HUGO :
- same form factor, clip under the HUGO
- 512Gb SSD + 2 FULL size SD, 
- gorgeous UI, PHYSICAL Controls (volume, pause, FFW, REV) & Large +5" touch screen, (just copy CALYX UI
:)
- Good playlist management, with "instant playlist" (next)
- DSD support, 
- coax + optical + USB out.

And... you must understand that the market for such transportable source is much larger than the portable DAP market only !

Indeed , this transport will also be used at Home by audiophiles as their source for their high-end HOME DAC: people will not have to buy a Home Music server and will avoid to manage 2 different music library & playlist systems (one in their DAP and one in their Home Music server). Plus this will make the HUGO the "King of the DAP", and therefore will increase HUGO sales by stealing sales to the AK240 & CALYX M....

Today, it looks like something is missing to make HUGO appealing. May be you are to much ahead of your time or you are waiting for someone else to release the source it needs ?? 

But... all this os only my 1 cent suggestion to make the HUGO really a practical portable solution
."

hope it may help

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #493 of 519
Here is a mail I sent to CHORD.  I hope it may help....

[COLOR=0000CD]"Dear sir, [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]please find here is my humble suggestion:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]I was tempted to get the HUGO, almost ordered it, but I finally didn't because of Lack of appropriante source ( Android/iPad/iPhone & Sony: not enough capacity,   Ak100/120 & X5: I don't Like their UI,    AK240: too expensive,   Calyx M (which fit all the marks)... has No digital OUT).

Of course, an Android or iDevice and a 1TB Seagate Wireless Pro (NAS) wirelessly attached could become a good source, but then... is a 3 pieces setup ! 

But.... Imagine (I dream) a transport of the same size than the HUGO that will attach (clip) under the HUGO ! It may even use some proprietary connection in between the HUGO and the Transport to avoid cables. 

--> This will be a hell of a SINGLE 1 Piece DAP brick.

So...I really believe that CHORD should release à transport ( no Dac no Amp) "companion" to the HUGO :

- same form factor, clip under the HUGO

- 512Gb SSD + 2 FULL size SD, 

- gorgeous UI, PHYSICAL Controls (volume, pause, FFW, REV) & Large +5" touch screen, (just copy CALYX UI
:)
- Good playlist management, with "instant playlist" (next)

- DSD support, 

- coax + optical + USB out.

And... you must understand that the market for such transportable source is much larger than the portable DAP market only !

Indeed , this transport will also be used at Home by audiophiles as their source for their high-end HOME DAC: people will not have to buy a Home Music server and will avoid to manage 2 different music library & playlist systems (one in their DAP and one in their Home Music server). Plus this will make the HUGO the "King of the DAP", and therefore will increase HUGO sales by stealing sales to the AK240 & CALYX M....

Today, it looks like something is missing to make HUGO appealing. May be you are to much ahead of your time or you are waiting for someone else to release the source it needs ?? 

But... all this os only my 1 cent suggestion to make the HUGO really a practical portable solution

[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]."

hope it may help
[/COLOR]
Hugo is not guilty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back