Closed headphones that sound closest to K 702s?
Oct 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

machoboy

500+ Head-Fier
As the title says, what are the closed headphones (I need some for tracking vocals) that sound closest to my beloved K 702s?

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:
As the title says, what are the closed headphones (I need some for tracking vocals) that sound closest to my beloved K 702s?

Heya,

The Shure SRH940 & Beyer T70 would be the most similar headphones that are closed in my experience.

After that, the AKG K550, K271 MKII, K272 HD, AudioTechnica A900 & A900X, KRK KNS 8400, Brainwavz HM5 & FischerAudio FA003/002W would be worth considering for vocal tracking in a closed headphone.

Very best,

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 20
I would like to add my 2 cents as well. Based on my experience, I don't recommend SRH940 and K271 MKII - the former is too unbalanced with excessive emphasis on upper mids and treble, and weak bass IMO, while the latter sounds fairly well balanced (a little weak on the bass), but bland and boring with a lot less resolution than K701/2 and a noticeable coloration that gives it a "cupped in" sort of sound, seemingly due to housing resonances. FA-003 is quite good, but not very similar to the AKGs with less emphasis on midrange and more bass. FA-003 also doesn't have anywhere near the resolution of K701/2 and the highs can sound a bit harsh and tinny at times. KRK KNS8400 seemed more detailed to me that K271 and FA-003 and much better balanced than SRH940 - I think I would prefer it over the aforementioned 'phones. The most impressive closed headphone I tried so far though is K272 HD. I know that it is very similar to K271 in design and apparently uses similar or the same drivers as well, but, surprisingly, I found the two quite different sounding. In particular, K272 HD has noticeably more detail to my ears and seems livelier and more exciting overall. The difference is quite significant IMO. I compared K272 HD directly with Q701 at a local store a few times and found K272 HD to be the most similar to the top-tier open AKGs out of all other closed cans I tried. Unamped, the K272 HD actually sounds quite a bit nicer and better balanced IMO, while amped Q701 is clearly the better headphone, but that is to expected from a high quality open back. In any case, I don't think K272 HD is too far behind at all and will give you most if not all of that tasty, detailed, natural mids that AKG is famous for. Also, I find K172 HD really good as well, although not as full sounding as K272 HD with weaker bass. Still, 172 HD is surprisingly natural and resolving with those terrific mids mostly intact. With it's smaller for factor, K172 HD is also worth considering if you are looking for something more portable.

EDIT: Even though I haven't heard it, I believe the new AKG K550 may be even better suited for your needs, since it has been described on several occasions as a "closed Q/K701/2."

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 20
Interesting! When I compared the two, K272 and K271mkII, I thought the latter was more resolving and clear. I own the K272HD, but have been meaning to change it to the K271mkII.

Edit: To add an opinion, I think the K271's would be great for the required purpose. They are clear and not too colored. In the general sense not the most engaging, but to me they are. Pitch articulation is top notch. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
Interesting! When I compared the two, K272 and K271mkII, I thought the latter was more resolving and clear. I own the K272HD, but have been meaning to change it to the K271mkII.

Edit: To add an opinion, I think the K271's would be great for the required purpose. They are clear and not too colored. In the general sense not the most engaging, but to me they are. Pitch articulation is top notch. 

Well, at least we agree that the two sound different.
biggrin.gif
Which one is better may depend on personal taste. K271 is good too, but somehow 272 HD just sounded better, more accurate to me. Maybe it's placebo, since I haven't actually compared the two directly. It may also be that K271 needs a decent amp to sound good, while k272 HD is better unamped, although that's unlikely I guess. The best source I tried with K271 is my Fiio E11 and HM-601, so not that great. But I think there's something else going on. The HD series were apparently voiced a bit differently and I may just prefer the new coloration. I also found K172 HD sound instantly appealing, but disliked K171.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 20
Definitely the KRK KNS-8400. If you switch between the Q701 and KRK in Skyrim they're so similar. I tried this and was just so confused.
The KRK was actually fuller sounding at times, which is strange. Even more clear sometimes.

The Q701 is slightly different than the K702 though, but you can read about that in other threads.

BTW the 8400 probably has a little more bass than the K702 I think. Definitely more lower bass extension. The treble quantity is about the same.

I had the K550 and don't think it sounds much like the K702 at all.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 20
Thank you for all of the answers. Rushing out the door to class then work but the 8400s seem to be the plurality here. Worth the price over the 6400s? Some people seem to like the 6400s just as much. Bass extension between the two models?

Thanks again

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Well, at least we agree that the two sound different.
biggrin.gif
Which one is better may depend on personal taste. K271 is good too, but somehow 272 HD just sounded better, more accurate to me. Maybe it's placebo, since I haven't actually compared the two directly. It may also be that K271 needs a decent amp to sound good, while k272 HD is better unamped, although that's unlikely I guess. The best source I tried with K271 is my Fiio E11 and HM-601, so not that great. But I think there's something else going on. The HD series were apparently voiced a bit differently and I may just prefer the new coloration. I also found K172 HD sound instantly appealing, but disliked K171.

I believe the difference comes from quality control, which isn't as great with the HD versions. Some figures showed less distortion with the K271. But yeah, having ab'd the two, they are more similar than alike. It might also just be the pads, in which I prefer the pleather.
Haven't done the same with 171/172, but I did have the 171mkII for a while and though they were quite good. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
Thank you for all of the answers. Rushing out the door to class then work but the 8400s seem to be the plurality here. Worth the price over the 6400s? Some people seem to like the 6400s just as much. Bass extension between the two models?

Thanks again

The midrange articulation of the 8400 is pristine, but they weren't as balanced or well behaved as my K272's in the end. I did not like that mid bass bloom that was apparent with the 8400 once I'd become accustomed to other more neutral headphones after them. I got used to them at one point and thought they did many things great. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 20
As a late followup I got the Koss PRO DJ100, KRK KNS8400 and Sony MDR-V6 yesterday and I've been shooting them out as usual.

The clear loser is the Koss. The bass and treble are so inaccurate it's not even funny. The build quality is a strange mix of expensive metal cups/hinges coupled with dollar-store pads and cable, but I guess pretty good for th eprice. The only feature I really like is the mono switch. Eh, close but no cigar.

EDIT: The Koss turned out to be defective so ignore them here... I'm sure they sound better than what I heard. Something was obviously wrong. I think I'll order a replacement and try them out again.

I can see why the V6 is considered an industry standard at this price. They have good midrange and decent treble with an exaggerated/woofy bass, BUT, a very smooth, clear exaggerated/woofy bass that you can kind of see through. They're not "studio monitors" per se, but they do a great job of staying within the ballpark of flat while also letting you know how mixes will sound on consumer audio and subwoofers. Also love the vintage/'80s look and Byzantine gold/silk packaging.

The KRK KNS8400 is the most interesting of the three. These are not bass anemic at all to my ears (which is how I've seen them described 100 times). The bass is abundant and extension is deep, however the treble is VERY bright (as I've heard 200 times), to the point that it is hard to concentrate on the other frequencies. They're extremely comfortable, the type of headphones you could sleep in.

I tested all of them by tracking through AKG and Audio-Technica condensers into a Focusrite preamp and Avid converter, all Mogami Gold in between. Not an audiophile listening test, just a tracking test, but that might actually be the best kind since I'm literally comparing their accuracy to sounds (male & female vocals, acoustic guitar, electric bass, drum machine) I'm hearing in reality in the same room.

The winner is... I don't know. The KRKs are so comfortable and clean sounding and the bass is beautiful with its low extension and balanced quantity, but the treble is somewhat sibilant and fatiguing. If I've ever been tempted to mod a headphone it would be these... A lil' dense foam deflecting those high frequencies and these would indeed be "the closed K 702s", but right now they're slightly flawed.

The Sony's are exactly 1/2 the price of the KRKs with much more (a bit too much) sub-bass and surprisingly similar in the mids and highs, albeit less clear/transparent. I have to actually say these are the best price vs performance headphones I have encountered, and from a brand I've been previously accused of "bashing'.

Overall the KRK has better sound quality but the the Sony is a better value.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 20
I still plan on trying the K 272, KAM HP1 and perhaps some Superlux.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
The Sony's are exactly 1/2 the price of the KRKs with much more sub-bass and surprisingly similar in the mids and highs. I have to actually say these are the best price vs performance headphones I have encountered, and from a brand I've been previously accused of "bashing'.

Interesting. I may consider the Sony when I need to start traveling. Were they comfortable?

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 20
I would consider them very good travel headphones. They're pretty easily driven and they fold down very quickly into a compact bundle with a weatherproof-ish carrying pouch.

Comfort: The clamp is mild (pretty close to our 701/702s). The entire headphone is very light. They have shallow ear cups which, while completely encircling my ears, are clearly not designed for hardcore isolation. They're not plush or luxurious but I quickly forget I'm wearing them. I'd say that's pretty good.

For the $70 I paid I'm very impressed with the competition the Sonys can hang with. Your other options at that price range are pretty depressing. Just be warned that the subbass can get a little excessive if you're used to the AKG sound.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 20
i would jump on the srh940 board. i am a huge k701 lover and the only closed can that is allowed to live next to it is the shure. i tried the whole shure line up, superlux, krk line up, denons, and many more. it is all about resolution, soundstage and separation and the srh940 can easily compare to the akgs. it has slightly more sub bass and a more exciting midrange and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back