coffee gadgets...
Mar 17, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #616 of 668
I have had excellent coffee from a French press, but only from people who know what they are doing.

Far more often, I've been served a greyish-brown brew that disappoints on almost every level.

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #617 of 668
^ Agreed, I never order it out. I just make my own. And even at that, everything has to come together just right. No matter how consistent I am, the taste always seems to vary slightly. But, sometimes, everything comes together and its magic.

When I'm out, I'll get either an espresso, latte or cappuccino. At home its always black, nothing added.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #620 of 668
  +1 for Aeropress - very consistent. Impressed at your dedication in roasting your own beans, @PalJoey! That's a step too far for me... I usually just swing by Ozone in Old Street. I've got some Gaharo Hill beans from Burundi to try this morning!

I've only just started roasting, and don't intend to always roast my own, but I have two packs of green beans ready for when my current batch of pre-roasted is finished. 

I used to work near Old Street, on the corner of Charlotte Road and Rivington Street. The whole area's changed a lot since then.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #621 of 668
  I've only just started roasting, and don't intend to always roast my own, but I have two packs of green beans ready for when my current batch of pre-roasted is finished. 

I used to work near Old Street, on the corner of Charlotte Road and Rivington Street. The whole area's changed a lot since then.

It has indeed. The ever-onward march of gentrification continues apace... the area hasn't lost all of its character though, unlike some parts of London - Camden Lock springs to mind! I still hang out there a fair bit, and Ozone is favourite haunt (near where Dragon Bar used to be on Leonard Street, if you remember that place). Excellent coffee.

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #623 of 668
  I need to try the Aeropress.

You might want to search for local coffee houses that offer Aeropressed coffee to get a taste, and maybe even ask them for opinions and tips.

I just had a look on the American Amazon site, and you can get it new from under $30. That would come as standard with several hundred paper filters, which are fine to get started with.

I'd advise buying a stainless steel filter for long-term use, though.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #624 of 668
My latest delivery of green beans was Monsooned Malabar which, for some reason, produced a lot less chaff than the Ethiopian Sidamo beans I roasted in my first experiments. Both were from the same supplier, Rave Coffee.

Still, it makes a fine brew. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #625 of 668
My love for coffee is sustained by:

(I actually use a different grinder but couldn't find an image online..)

I also got a Bodum french press but really prefer this old fashioned hand drip method! :)

The beans I use are from a local roaster and never roasted more than a few days before delivery. I always try new varieties if they are available, but my favorite is Colombia Supremo.

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #627 of 668
  +1 for Aeropress - very consistent. Impressed at your dedication in roasting your own beans, @PalJoey! That's a step too far for me... I usually just swing by Ozone in Old Street. I've got some Gaharo Hill beans from Burundi to try this morning!

I've just (as in this very afternoon) been offered a job interview at a company very close to Old Street. So if that goes well, I might find myself popping down the road to Ozone for my coffee fix!

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #628 of 668
Hey y'all, I'm looking for a new coffee grinder. I usually Aeropress and french press; almost polar opposites in terms of grind coarseness. I have a manual ceramic burr grinder which has served me very well, but I'm looking for more consistency in my french press and a finer grind for the Aeropress. Basically, what do you use? I was looking into Baratza grinders, but that's a lot of coin to drop on something that may only be slightly better than the cheapie 30 buck grinder. I could get a second grinder manual grinder for the french press, but likewise I'm also interested in getting more consistent and less muddy french press cups.

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #629 of 668
  Hey y'all, I'm looking for a new coffee grinder. I usually Aeropress and french press; almost polar opposites in terms of grind coarseness. I have a manual ceramic burr grinder which has served me very well, but I'm looking for more consistency in my french press and a finer grind for the Aeropress. Basically, what do you use? I was looking into Baratza grinders, but that's a lot of coin to drop on something that may only be slightly better than the cheapie 30 buck grinder. I could get a second grinder manual grinder for the french press, but likewise I'm also interested in getting more consistent and less muddy french press cups.

Which country are you posting from? It'd be a waste of time suggesting something that's not on sale where you live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back