Cologne-fi
Nov 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #61 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyhoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying to find something nice for the wife for christmas. Any suggestions ? ... prolly flowery and not too woody. No mint.

Definitely start by taking a look through the 2007 Basenotes Awards. She might like one of the classic fragrances that always seems to win, like Chanel No. 5 or Guerlain Shalimar. Just a warning though that No. 5 has aldehydes as one of the top notes, which means that it has that chemical synthetic old woman smell (think Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds
plainface.gif
). Shalimar, on the other hand, still smells current and sophisticated to me, but YWMMV.
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #62 of 436
well i got home and looked. She only has one bottle I could find. Clinique happy Heart. Its almost empty too. So this actually might be a good thing for present
wink.gif

I'm for sure i wont want any old lady, thick lingering a block away after they walk by fragrence..
I hadnt seen that awards page. Was just going through the most popular and links from those. That will keep me busy.

Thought about getting 5-10 decants/testers so i dont geting 4-5oz of somthing she hates..

Still suggestions are very welcome.

edit: Narrowing it down. any experience with the following?
Spring flower-Creed, Chance-Chanel, Coco mademoiselle-Chanel, Bois des lles-chanel, Angel, Lolita lempicka, Shalimar, West side-bond no9, chinatown-bond no9

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #63 of 436
Only with Shalimar, but you've picked some fragrances that almost any woman would love. If you don't think it will spoil the surprise, definitely go for the decants or spray testers ("atomizers"). Without sampling, it's hard to say which fragrance will smell the best on a particular person's skin, and you both might be surprised at what you discover about likes and dislikes.

I bought some small decants from one of the ladies at the Perfumed Court over six months ago and I'm not even close to using up any of them. It's like having an expensive cologne wardrobe for cheap.
biggrin.gif

Oh, before I forget... If your wife likes the scent of fresh roses, I can't recommend highly enough Creed's Fleur de the Rose Bulgare (not the newer Fleurs de Bulgarie). If you do decide to try decants or testers, consider adding that to your list.

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #65 of 436
so i was looking at some colognes last night, picked up armani code, wore it tonight for the first time, i like it a lot.

question though: whats with people saying that when they wear cologne it smells worse? I get that your body gives off natural scents and can mess with the scent, but how could you tell by just spraying a little on your arm or whatever and tell? Maybe i've lucked out and grabbed ones that just happened to work?

edit: also how many sprays and where do you tend to spray on the body?

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #66 of 436
Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille. Very classic, and a real cologne, unlike many of the names listed in this thread which are really mens' perfumes. I will sometimes use some Dune by Christian Dior (not a cologne either).

I was offered some Mugler tea and chocolate scented cologne by my in-laws, just because I love chocolate. It smells, shall we say, "interesting"...

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #67 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was offered some Mugler tea and chocolate scented cologne by my in-laws, just because I love chocolate. It smells, shall we say, "interesting"...

They say that chocolate is an aphrodisiac, so this may work to your advantage in certain situations
wink.gif

I've worn a few colognes over the years, but always tried to very cognisant of female reactions to each. One's body chemistry affects the resultant scent quite a bit (unless you just drown yourself in it). The most vocal, positive response I've ever gotten from women has always been from an inexpensive, drugstore after-shave. Stick with what works.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #68 of 436
didnt get any replies to the two questions below...anyone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question though: whats with people saying that when they wear cologne it smells worse? I get that your body gives off natural scents and can mess with the scent, but how could you tell by just spraying a little on your arm or whatever and tell? Maybe i've lucked out and grabbed ones that just happened to work?

edit: also how many sprays and where do you tend to spray on the body?

also, so i was at the store today, checked out a few people have mentioned in this thread. i didnt really like dolce & gabanna, no sampler was out for CK eternity. I tried both polo blue and black, liked both, but i think i would go with blue. thoughts?

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #69 of 436
i really like kenneth cole's black for men... it's a nice, strong masculine scent... nice for outings...

also like ralph lauren's romance for men... it's got this nice orangey smell at first... but then it settles into something pretty nice.

big fan of chrome by azzaro... very clean scent... soapy smell.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #70 of 436
Quote:

question though: whats with people saying that when they wear cologne it smells worse? ... Maybe i've lucked out and grabbed ones that just happened to work?

The composition of your skin will tend to absorb the different elements of a cologne/parfum in a unique way. The natural oiliness or dryness of skin determines the overall scent, too--oilier means more absorption (you'll get to the heart-notes faster), dryer means that it will sit on the skin (stronger top-notes).

In general, any scent found in your local mall or department store will smell at least decent, but maybe not complex or unique; they're popular enough to have shelf space, after all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd
also how many sprays and where do you tend to spray on the body?

If it's in an atomizer (spray bottle), start with one full spray upward and move your face into the mist. This will give you more coverage than just spraying directly onto one area. Another option is spraying onto each wrist and then using your wrists to apply the cologne to the sides of your neck. Here's the reason that applying to the neck works: blood vessels are just beneath the skin, and since blood is warm, it will warm the cologne, which will cause it to waft around the room like the scent of a candle. At least, that's the idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille. Very classic, and a real cologne, unlike many of the names listed in this thread which are really mens' perfumes. I will sometimes use some Dune by Christian Dior (not a cologne either).

Technically, yes, but the only difference is the concentration of the fragrance. I don't think it makes someone less of a man to use an EdT rather than an EdC.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by majid

Let me guess... Angel for Men (A*Men)?
biggrin.gif

That one is a gourmand (edible) scent, for sure. Look at the ingredients: Lavender, Bergamot, Helional, Aldehydes, Peppermint, Roasted Coffee, Patchouli, Caramel, Tonka Bean, Tar, Musk, Vanilla, Chocolate. Basically, every possible taste-induced addiction compacted into one smell. I've always wanted to try a sample.
cool.gif

Quote:

I tried both polo blue and black, liked both, but i think i would go with blue. thoughts?

Polo Blue was the scent of late-'90s high schoolers. Eeeeverybody knows that smell by now. That, and Cool Water by Davidoff. Those are the two most typical blue scents. They smell fresh, clean, and "sporty," but somewhat generic by now. Still, it's a contemporary classic with a short list of ingredients: cucumber, tangerine, geranium, and basil. If you're young enough, your peers might not know the scent.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #71 of 436
These are my favorite colognes:
Armani Aqua Di Gio
Armani Mania
Lacoste Pour Homme

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #72 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are my favorite colognes:
Armani Aqua Di Gio
Armani Mania

Those two Armanis are good starting points for almost anyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #74 of 436
What I wear:

Cade, by L'Occitane
Mr. Taylor, by Taylor of Old Bond Street
No. 6, by Caswell-Massey
Blenheim Bouquet, by Penhaligon's

I'm not sure which is my favorite, but have been reaching for the No. 6 often lately.

Dec 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #75 of 436
Unc, have you ever tried Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's? I find that to be my current favorite for this cold season, but I've yet to shell out for the bottle... I just have a teeny-tiny 1.5ml sampler right now.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back