Comply Tips Review
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #16 of 182

Quote:
Tone Seeker: The lifetime of Comply Foam Tips varies a lot from person to person. Some tips are to: 1. Keep your ears clean (ear wax and other gunk deteriorate the foam). 2. Don't toss your tips in your gym bag (don't trash them, basically). 3. You can clean them with warm water and a cloth (don't use anything with alcohol or other cleaning products).
They're very durable though, despite being foam. There are variables even in our offices. Personally, they last me longer than most.

Well... not just your ears, but your fingers must be clean. Don't forget, you're rolling - compressing them between your fingers and if they're dirty, the tips will get dirty.
Also, being a bit neurotic about these two practices (ears and fingers clean), my Comply's last quite a while (a few months of daily wear, maybe...).

One reason I am so festidious about this is because I don't like to clean the Comply tips. They seem to degrade slightly and never fully regain their firmness and solid fit. Full dislosure... I think I always used a mild soap, so that could be the reason.
I'll have to try the 'just plain warm water' method.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 182
Right. Thanks for mentioning keeping hands clean too.
And way to come clean about using soap (pun intended). The soap, depending on what kind, can totally ruin the tips. So, that could be a huge reason why they never fully regained their original structure

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 182

Quote:
Yes, I trim the foam overhang flat to the black plastic core. It was kwkarth who first recommended that quite a while back and I've been doing it ever since... and highly recommending the practice 
wink_face.gif

It allows the highs to come through unscathed.

So you don't even use the filters?

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 182
Apr 6, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #20 of 182
I too received a set of comply tips for review. I'll keep my observations of how they directly reacted to my Atrio M5 MG7 for a more specific thread, but let me quickly mention here that they are indeed more comfortable than any of the stock tips I was using. Much more so, actually. You could maybe forget they were in there if you left em in long enough. My other tips feel a little scratchy and odd fitting at times.

As for sound, I'm not yet certain if I get more or less bass/mids/treble, but I will say that running through sine wave sweeps with a tip of each in opposite ears (and swapping them to confirm) has shown for me that the comply tips produce a far smoother frequency response than my other main tips (stock future sonics bi-flange tips). It's actually funny how many more peaks and valleys used to have.

I have no comments on their durability as I have only had them for maybe about a week

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #22 of 182
Hey everyone,
It's been a few weeks and I'm getting itchy to see your reviews. I know some have already done theirs, and others are getting close... but please send me a PM with the link/s to your review.
Thanks

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #23 of 182

Quote:
I've heard that Comply's are kind of icky and really expensive. If I could get some for free I might be willing to change my mind. 
smile.gif

Definitely pricey. So much that I wouldn't blame people to never try them. Even if they did need them.

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #24 of 182
They're so comfortable though, they're worth it.  I too have real problems with silicone tips irritating my ears.  Plus single flange tips don't isolate well enough.  Without Comply tips, I'd have problems using IEMs 8 months out of the year.  I wish IEM manufacturers would standardize nozzle sizes.  None of the comply tips really fit the DBA-02 that I just bought.  I can get them on, but I destroy them getting them off and I'm afraid I'll destroy the nozzle eventually.

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #25 of 182

Quote:
They're so comfortable though, they're worth it.  I too have real problems with silicone tips irritating my ears.  Plus single flange tips don't isolate well enough.  Without Comply tips, I'd have problems using IEMs 8 months out of the year.  I wish IEM manufacturers would standardize nozzle sizes.  None of the comply tips really fit the DBA-02 that I just bought.  I can get them on, but I destroy them getting them off and I'm afraid I'll destroy the nozzle eventually.

Yeah, for whatever reason, the DBA's are very tight for the Comply's and impossible for the Shure Olives. Ugh. But I use the P-series on my DBA's. Practice.
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #26 of 182

Quote:
As for sound, I'm not yet certain if I get more or less bass/mids/treble, but I will say that running through sine wave sweeps with a tip of each in opposite ears (and swapping them to confirm) has shown for me that the comply tips produce a far smoother frequency response than my other main tips (stock future sonics bi-flange tips). It's actually funny how many more peaks and valleys used to have.

I have always felt this as well.....that comply/foam tips produce the most natural, spacious sound, period.  As far as people complaining of rolled off highs you only need to be sure to compress the foam in a receeding motion to ensure it does not cover the eartip in any way.  As long as you do this the treble will come through in spades. Compress the foam in a backwards motion keeping the tip fully clear.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #27 of 182
Comply tips dropped my bass around -7dB. Sony Hybrids gave me the seal I needed and retained the bass.

I read alot of reviews on comply tips and immediately bought them thinking they would solve my IEM issues. I was very disappointed in Comply tips. Sony's worked great. Basically just typing this so people reading it use good judgement before throwing money away like I did.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 182
Interesting that I usually have the opposite result on Comply and get a better bass response on my IEM.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #29 of 182
Something's wrong if foam tips are dropping your bass - especially by a level as extreme as -7dB. Disappearing bass is an obvious indicator of an incomplete seal but I don't see how you could get an incomplete seal with comply foams... they're supposed to be huge. Perhaps you have mutant alien ears or the tips were old/somehow defective? 
My T400 tips are nice but they can considerably screw up tonal balance since the plastic core doesn't extend to the end of the tips and your ears squash the unsupported opening. As a result, many people recommend cutting off the foam not supported by plastic core or recommend putting the tips on backwards (uncomfortable). I would like to see this problem solved as I think all the comply tips are like this and other foam/foam hybrid tips don't have this problem as much.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #30 of 182
Hey, what are the best Comply tips to use for the SoundMAGIC PL-50?  I've heard a few different models that can work, though they're a tight fit...anyone know what the absolute best would be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back