Cowon PLENUE M2 (Current Firmware and Manual Links in 1st post)
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #346 of 545
Ibasso, AK has crap eqs. Cowons eq is lefit. Dont imprison yourself.

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #347 of 545
Ibasso, AK has **** eqs. Cowons eq is lefit. Dont imprison yourself.
I am with you on this one. Not using EQ (especially user customised) it's like buying Koenigsegg Agera R and only driving it up to 50 km/h (for those not familiar top speed is 431km/h!). Do not be afraid my friend immerse yourself in goodness created by Golden Ears you'll never look back.
So these are my first impressions, compared to dx80:
Iems: Hifiman re600-s. No hiss, this was the thing that bothered me more of dx80.

The sound is less bright, highs are less sparkling, mids are warmer, and subbass is incredible, much more extended!
Soundstage is narrower, but deeper.
I don't use eq, but must admit Bbe gives endless customizations.
UI wise, nice when you click volume, you can swipe screen to adjust.

Btw how can I read manual, besides opening PDF in a pc?
I am with jmills8 on this one. Not using EQ (especially user customised) it's like buying Koenigsegg Agera R and only driving it up to 50 km/h (for those not familiar top speed is 431km/h!). Do not be afraid my friend immerse yourself in goodness created by Golden Ears you'll never look (listen!) back.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #348 of 545
A couple of things:
There are 2 features not mentioned in manual, even latest, but are present in P2 manual: when tap volume numbers at top right, opens up a screen where you can swipe up for volume up and down for volume down. Maybe it should stay a little more.
In Display settings there is Show song change, that light s up screen when changing song, with screen off obviously.
Playing with jeteffects, I notice it introduces some artifacts when songs fades out. I was listening to Ladies Night in Buffalo, by DL Roth, flac file, iem re600-s, jet settings eq 63 hz narrow +6, 9khz normal +2, 16khz wide +5, bbe 3, machbass 4, it seems a little "static" when fading out. Volume 115. No noise nif effects off.

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #349 of 545
Thanks Pholcus1975, some of that info was new to me.
I agree that Cowon's Jefeffects are wonderful and usually don't cause any negative, often a desired effect.
But there are times or rather songs that need it, and often not.
Used judiciously they bring lots of joy.
Happy listening, I know I am loving my P M2
God Bless,
Wayne

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #352 of 545
Other couple of things :) When connected to PC, win 10, using Foobar , I must set output to wasapi, otherwise direct sound creates distortion.
If I enter user defined jet effect settings, to edit levels, not directly from options--> jeteffects, but from options-->settings-->jeteffect, player get stuck into edit screen , you cannot go back, and on freq buttons "undefined" appears. See pic attached 20171001_071634~01.jpg

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #353 of 545
Can anybody confirm if Plenue M2/Plenue P1 is an upgrade in terms of SQ above fiio x5III (third generation) ,even if its little difference ?

Second question , is there a difference in sound quality between the M2 and the P1 ?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #354 of 545
Can anybody confirm if Plenue M2/Plenue P1 is an upgrade in terms of SQ above fiio x5III (third generation) ,even if its little difference ?

Second question , is there a difference in sound quality between the M2 and the P1 ?

I have both PM2 and X5III. Initially I preferred PM2. But now after a few months of ownership, I tip towards X5III. Some how, FiiO can make any headphones sound good, where with PM2 I have at least 1 pair {ATH MSR7} that just drive me mad because no matter what I try with Jet Effects, they just don't sound acceptable, where with FiiO they can pass my tick, just.

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #356 of 545
Thanks Soundtrap, but can you tell me which is a little brighter or have a better detail retrieval (even if its slight difference)? (with no EQing and all on flat default settings) , i am really torn between the two and i can't test any of them since in my country there is no store that sells HIFI players.
my favorite music genre is Metal/Rock , using Flac files , also i am not a bass head or a treble head (you can say i like mids or vocals to shine more :) ) but of course i like good bass.

Oct 3, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #357 of 545
Thanks Soundtrap, but can you tell me which is a little brighter or have a better detail retrieval (even if its slight difference)? (with no EQing and all on flat default settings) , i am really torn between the two and i can't test any of them since in my country there is no store that sells HIFI players.
my favorite music genre is Metal/Rock , using Flac files , also i am not a bass head or a treble head (you can say i like mids or vocals to shine more :) ) but of course i like good bass.

You can get PM2 to sound much brighter then X5III. Jet Effects are more customizable with immediate effect, where viper effects are often hard to detect and definitely hopelessly slow to respond to change.. Cowon trashes anything out there with superbly responsive UCI and library scanning speeds. Any change, including skipping the songs or scrolling through my 11,000+ files library PM2 does with lightning speed, no hiccups, nor delay. If you pair PM2 with DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms, or even better Philips SHP9500 , you'll feel like you hadve big speakers strapped to your head and you'll be laughing so loud that people might think that something is wrong with you . Lol! FiiO X5III is definitely hack of a lot of fun to use and listen too, but Cowon PM2 is much more polished and frustration free product. If you are like me and if you can afford get both. I love both of them and they are in my collection 2 favourites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back