Cowon PLENUE M2 (Current Firmware and Manual Links in 1st post)
Jul 8, 2016 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 545

taffy2207

Headphoneus Supremus
o_area_01.png

.o_area_02.jpg

PM2_1.jpg
PM2_2.jpg

cpm2.jpg

PLENUE M2 is a sequel of the Cowon PLENUE M & will be released this July 11.

SINCETIMES (Formerly COWON System) announced that COWON’s PLENUE M2 will be launched on July 11th to succeed the PLENUE M.

The Isometric Edge design and the front face multifunction static button of the PLENUE M2 are eye-catching. The internal memory capacity has doubled to 128GB, and it has a built-in high performance amp, which is crucial for HD sound playback. Another feature that makes the PLENUE M2 stand out is the precision tuning feature that allows a more defined HD sound control.

As the flagship device of the PLENUE series, the PLENUE M2 succeeds the outstanding hardware performance of the PLENUE series. It is equipped with Burr-Brown’s top-of-the-line Hi-Fi audio system DAC PCM1795, and it boasts optimum acoustic performance with 120dB SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio)and 0.0007% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). It utilizes TCXO (Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator) to deliver accurate and stable HD sound by adjusting to changes in temperature and voltage, and it is also equipped with the latest JetEFffect 7 and BBE+ to satisfy the musical preferences and acoustic needs of the users. It incorporates Cortex Dual Core CPU based embedded Linux operating system for fast and stable operation.

COWON’s PLENUE M2 has a built-in high performance amp. Its circuitry is designed to deliver high voltage and output to implement powerful driving performance, which allows the users to use high impedance headphones without a need for a separate headphone amp. Precision sound tuning provides outstanding audio resolution for low and high frequencies, which makes the PLENUE M2 suitable for use with any type of receiver. The USB DAC connection feature allows easy connection to a PC to enjoy crystal clear HD sound. It has a high-speed 128 internal memory as well as a microSD slot that can be expanded to up to 256 GB, which provides users with sufficient storage for large-sized audio files. 3,000mAh large-capacity Li-Polymer battery delivers a stable playback environment.

The 3.7” AMOLED Display on the front face supports full touch response features with intuitive control GUI, which allows Touch & Drag search features, equalizer settings, etc. at the tip of your fingers. Furthermore, it clearly displays a variety of player skin designs, matrix browser, high-resolution album art, stereo level meter, etc. to enhance audio and visual experience and enjoyment. It has physical buttons on the side surface for playback, volume, and search control, as well as a multifunction button on the bottom of the front face, which allows the user to view the music list, navigate quickly to the current song or settings screen, etc. for increased user convenience.

Electrical GND is applied to the seamless platinum silver full metal unibody to prevent noise, and the solid processed body case that implements high-fidelity audio is also noticeable. The rear side has a hairline finishing with anodized surfacing for a luxurious appearance. The asymmetrical design on the left side provides enhanced grip, and it is ergonomically designed for easy single hand operation. The head portion, which is partitioned with a golden ratio from an Isometric view, has the power button positioned lower than the body’s surface to increase usage convenience and also to prevent the button from being accidentally pressed. An LED indicator surrounds the button to easily identify the device’s operation status.
CEO Nam Gyu Park said, “PLENUE M2 is superior to its predecessor in performance and design” and added, “The built-in high performance amp and precision tuning allows users to enjoy the music that they love with higher quality audio. We anticipate that it will broaden the consumers’ options in the high quality audio player marker.”

Source http://eng.cowon.net/news/press_view.php?number=169&pageSort=&boardID=A03&redir=INDEX

Specs :-

Platinum Silver color
Components PLENUE M2, Micro USB Cable, Quick Start Guide, Warranty card

Products built-in memory capacity: 128GB * / External Memory: microSD SDXC
Display 3.7 "AMOLED Touch Display (480x800)
Weight and dimensions 69.0mm (W) x 117.3mm (H) x 13.4mm (D) / 188g
Full Metal Case High strength unibody
Button POWER, PLAY / PAUSE, VOL +, VOL-, FF, REW, Multi-Button
CPU ARM Cortex A9 1.2GHz Dual-Core
Supported audio file formats DXD / DSD (DFF, DSF) / FLAC / WAV / AIFF / ALAC /
APE / MP3 / WMA / OGG / WV / TTA / DCF
Audio codec DXD: ~ 352.8 / 384kHz (1/2 Sampling)
DSD: ~ 5.64MHz (DSD64, DSD128)
FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, WV (WavPack), TTA: ~ 24bit / 192kHz
- 352.8 / 384kHz FLAC, WAV 1/2 Sampling
- 32bit float WAV, WAV tag support
- 5.1Ch Downmixing support
MP3: MPEG 1/2 / 2.5 Layer 3, ~ 320kbps
WMA: ~ 320kbps, ~ 48kHz
APE: Fast compression (Fast), Normal (Normal), high-compression (High) ~ 24bit / 192kHz
OGG: ~ Q10, ~ 44.1kHz
Track information CUE sheet, SACD ISO (2Ch)
Lyrics LRC, LDB, Lyrics3, ID3 Tag lyrics (time information with / without)
JetEffect 7 66 Presets (50 Presets + 16 User Presets)
EQ 10 Band Equalizer (EQ Filter)
BBE + BBE, Mach3Bass, 3D Surround, MP Enhance
Special Effect Chorus (8 modes), Reverb (9 modes)
DRM melons
Audio characteristics DAC Burr-Brown PCM1795
SNR 120dB
THD + N 0.0007% (24bit, 48kHz standards)
Stereo Crosstalk -130dB
Output 2Vrms
Output impedance 1Ω
Volume 140 steps
Clock high-precision clock TCXO (Phase Jitter 1.0ps)
Battery and Power Battery Built-in lithium polymer rechargeable 3,000mAh / 3.7V
About 9 hours playback time (MP3) / 8.5 hours (24bit, 96kHz, FLAC) **
About 4 hours charging time (input Micro USB DC adapter 5V / 2A ideal conditions)
Earphone output jack (3.5mm) / optical output (3.5mm)
Various playback screen, the player skins, analog level meters, Matrix Browser, Multi-Favorite
PC connection Specifications CPU Pentium lll 500MHz or higher
OS Windows 8/7 / Vista / XP / 2000 / ME: Support all functions
MAC OS 10.x / Linux v2.4 or higher: file transfer support
Recommended USB Port USB 2.0 High Speed

vlcsnap-2016-07-08-17h12m45s973.jpg

d_area_11.png

■ Pricing (including VAT) ■

PLENUE M2 128GB: 899,000 won (Approx £600, $781, 706 Eur)

Source http://www.cowonglobal.com/ unless stated otherwise.

Warning/Caution

• The battery must be fully charged before firmware upgrade.
  • Do not reset PLENUE M2 during firmware upgrade.
  • Backup any important files in PLENUE M2 to your PC before firmware upgrade.
  • Please use firmware that COWON authorizes only.
  • JetEffect values might be initialized after firmware upgrade. Please record any important values.

New features

1. Additional handling of exceptional situation of metadata in track files.
  2. Improved FLAC file compatibility.
  3. Improved ALAC file compatibility.
  4. Improved DSF last frame playback.
  5. Fixed errors occurring when certain corrupted melon files are played.
  6. Added optical output ON/ OFF function. (Setting/ System/ Optical Output)

PM2 Manuals - Various Languages :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/bbs/?id=...ategory2=&page=4&search_type=&search_keyword=

Current Firmware (1.40) can be downloaded here :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/bbs/?id=...ategory2=&page=1&search_type=&search_keyword=

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 545
Im in.

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 545
It looks like the Plenue D's bigger tougher brother, You know, like a D with a flick knife sort of thing
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 545
So they put the Plenue M in a new body and called it a new product?  Weak.  Give it real battery life and I'd consider it.
Read, first off more internal memory, new internal amp. There were more info of all the upgrades. I just dont see it now.

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 545
I wonder how it comes to P1.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 545
I wonder how it comes to P1.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

+1, I REALLY don't see how this is any better than Plenue 1.
New chassis... not exciting.
New amp stage... not exciting.
Battery life: pityful when you know what Cowon has achieved with smaller players.
Still no connectivity at all: no BT is just pure nonsense nowadays, although I can live without WiFi.

Seriously, SQ is nice, better specsheet is nicer. No unique selling point at all. ****ty marketing strategy, as usual with Cowon.

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 545

+1, I REALLY don't see how this is any better than Plenue 1.

Nobody has claimed that is better than the P1, otherwise it would be called P1 II.

But I actually do not really see the point in this product. Minor changes, bbut obviously design is adjusted. So next generation of P1 should not be
too far away. But please add in more battery life.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 545
It's probably either battery life, or ability to power Sennheiser's HD 600,650,700,800,800s.
Well if the sq is good - why not. Design is sleek. But what will buy me is ability of Cowon to be connected to my Mojo!!!
Especially if they would add it in Plenue D.
Cheers.

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 545
It's probably either battery life, or ability to power Sennheiser's HD 600,650,700,800,800s.
Well if the sq is good - why not. Design is sleek. But what will buy me is ability of Cowon to be connected to my Mojo!!!
Especially if they would add it in Plenue D.
Cheers.

So far the description only mentions 9 hours of FLAC, which is no better than Plenue 1/M.
But I should be used to this with Cowon by now, they tend to release multiple versions of similar DAPs with no spec improvement whatsoever.
Happened multiple times in the past, design changes only, and not always for the better.

They're always so frigging slow to update their hardware... especially capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back