Cowon Plenue P1
Jun 16, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #2,926 of 2,974
Stretching the boundaries of pocketable, well maybe cargo pants...
As you know the R2RK red is now my precious for walks! Still digging the Burr-Brown sound

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #2,927 of 2,974
Stretching the boundaries of pocketable, well maybe cargo pants...
As you know the R2RK red is now my precious for walks! Still digging the Burr-Brown sound
Im not wearing tight jeans.

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #2,928 of 2,974
Hi, I like this player. I only wish that the cover for the charging was made little more sturdy. The battery life could have been bit better. I have this slightly odd behaviour where the songs while playing show as zero kb and I can not play any songs. I have to restart the player. I was using the ipod with itunes earlier. Is there any similar software which permits one to see if there are duplicate albums / songs and manage albums better. I am accidentally copying same songs and albums over

Dec 15, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,929 of 2,974
Hello!

I'm about to buy a Cowon Plenue 1 but i have two questions before :

1. Is it worth it in 2021?

2. I would like to connect it to a Beoplay P6 speaker that only has USB-c input (meaning no jack).
The P1 doesn't support OTG through usb-c BUT has a 3.5mm optical output.
The strategy then would be to connect them with a "3.5mm s/pdif to usb-c", would that cable work ?
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-type-c-to-3-5mm-gold-plating-coaxial-cable

Or do i need something else? I would love to hear your advices,

Thanks in advance!

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #2,930 of 2,974
Hello!

2. I would like to connect it to a Beoplay P6 speaker that only has USB-c input (meaning no jack).
The strategy then would be to connect them with a "3.5mm s/pdif to usb-c", would that cable work ?

Thanks in advance!
2. I don’t think that’ll work. Coaxial output is not the same as optical - no single cable can bridge that divide. I’ve come across splitter boxes which can do the optical to coax conversion - but it means two cables and an additional device. Tbh a bluetooth connection is the most llikely option for the Beoplay - and the Plenue doesn’t have that either. It isn’t appropriate for this use case.

1. If you’re just after a dap, then sure. While it is seven years since launch, it still has a good user interface, one of the best sets of equalizer approaches, uses a Burr-brown dac chip which is exceptional so it sounds great. It uses an operating system based on linux so it is still faster than most of the newer android based daps and its a closed environment (a plus for me). Downsides would be single-ended only and micro usb power. I still have mine in rotation, though it tends to be more of a home device, as it's battery is a little low on charge holding after six years of use

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,931 of 2,974
2. I don’t think that’ll work. Coaxial output is not the same as optical - no single cable can bridge that divide I’ve come across splitter boxes which can do the optical to coax conversion - but it means two cables and an additional device. Tbh a bluetooth connection is the most llikely option for the Beoplay - and the Plenue doesn’t have that either. It isn’t appropriate for this use case.

1. If you’re just after a dap, then sure. It still has a good user interface, one of the best sets of equalizer approaches, uses a Burr-brown dac chip which is exceptional so it sounds great. It uses an operating system based on linux sonit is still faster than most of the android based daps and its a closed environment (a plus for me).Downsides would be single-ended only and micro usb power.
Thank you for your answer!

2. So, no optical to usb-c neither? Too bad, i'll have to find a player that supports OTG as i don't like Bluetooth at all..
Is there a Cowon player with that option? It feels like they purposefully avoid "On the go Usb" and i don't understand why..

1. The Plenue 1 has everything i need but the fact that i can't couple it to a Beoplay P6 is a killer downside, if someone thinks of a solution, i'm all ears..

Edit : Also, can someone explain me how this 2 in one "Aux/optical" output works on the Plenue 1?
Aux is supposed to output an analog signal whereas Optical outputs a digital one, how the Plenue 1 knows when to output analog or digital as these two ports are combined in one port?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,932 of 2,974
2. http://www.cowonglobal.com/product/PLENUE/

1. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=coax+to+optical&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
these devices may work but again you need an optical to optical AND a coax to usb-c (note the Hiby cable is a 3.5mm - typically coax is an rca), so that'd be either another adapter or another cable -both of which are rare terminations. I think you'd be heading into square peg in round hole territory with this approach.
I think you can have one or the other (Plenue or Beoplay) not not both in combination.

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #2,933 of 2,974
2. http://www.cowonglobal.com/product/PLENUE/

1. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=coax+to+optical&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
these devices may work but again you need an optical to optical AND a coax to usb-c (note the Hiby cable is a 3.5mm - typically coax is an rca), so that'd be either another adapter or another cable -both of which are rare terminations. I think you'd be heading into square peg in round hole territory with this approach.
I think you can have one or the other (Plenue or Beoplay) not not both in combination.
Thank you for your answer, i've found this:
https://www.amazon.fr/nobsound-Interface-Convertisseur-coaxial-optique/dp/B0779S6NC6?th=1

If this is bidirectional, it will work.. I will keep investigate, again, Thank you very much for your help!

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #2,935 of 2,974
Hello!

Thanks in advance!

It's not worth it, the battery only lasts 4hr+ for a brand new machine. Besides, its SQ can't keep up with the entry level DAP nowaday. My P1 costed me about $1,000 even in clearance, I sold it after half a year used. It's just too heavy, and the body gets hot very easily when playing. AP80 Pro can be used as OTG transport, and they have a newer version, its tiny and cheap, but I am not sure if it will support your speaker. If you are simply looking for a affortable, portable DAP, try the SONY A55 with Walkman One firmware, you will be amazed, and using BT to pair with your speaker.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #2,936 of 2,974
It's not worth it, the battery only lasts 4hr+ for a brand new machine. Besides, its SQ can't keep up with the entry level DAP nowaday. My P1 costed me about $1,000 even in clearance, I sold it after half a year used. It's just too heavy, and the body gets hot very easily when playing. AP80 Pro can be used as OTG transport, and they have a newer version, its tiny and cheap, but I am not sure if it will support your speaker. If you are simply looking for a affortable, portable DAP, try the SONY A55 with Walkman One firmware, you will be amazed, and using BT to pair with your speaker.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, i have a Plenue D right now that i can't connect to my P6 speaker, if the Plenue 1 road doesn't work, i will choose a Fiio m7 or Sony A55/A105, would these three daps be a step up from the Plenue D?
And does the A55 have OTG?
The Plenue 1 features a Burr-brown dac chip,'m not sure a modern dap would be superior in sound quality, but maybe i'm missing something?

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #2,937 of 2,974
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, i have a Plenue D right now that i can't connect to my P6 speaker, if the Plenue 1 road doesn't work, i will choose a Fiio m7 or Sony A55/A105, would these three daps be a step up from the Plenue D?
The Plenue 1 features a Burr-brown dac chip,'m not sure a modern dap would be superior in sound quality, but maybe i'm missing something?

Never try the Plenue D, its SQ seem inferior to P1. I am still so surprised how good the sound of A55 with Walkman One firmware ( A105 cannot run Walkman One fw and the stock fw sound is not so impressed ). A55's SQ can match AK SR25, which is certainly not a joke. I am not sure if A55 have OTG. Even if it could, you still need to buy a WM-PORT to TYPE-C cable. For the P1's Burr-brown dac, maybe it's good to provide warm and holographics sound in certain extent. But, I just doubt how much benefits a portable BT speaker can get from it ?

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #2,938 of 2,974
You're not. With all due respect to country boy the P1 is not inferior to any modern day chip, neither is the engineering. I'd be interested if he could point out where technically it is audibly inferior. Also curious that he finds 173g too heavy, I'd say that is lighter than most mid-range and above DAP - the SR25 is 7g heavier, the Shanling M6 45g heavier and the basso DX150 70g heavier. You have to look at the micro daps like the Plenue D2, the AP80, Shanling M0, M3X and the like to find lighter.
Newer dac chips tend to be about improvements to manufacturing, ensuring a narrower and more consistent range of parameters during production. The reason delta sigma chips are more ubiquitous is because R2R chips require a more labour intensive implementation process. New may not equal better, it certainly equals cheaper unit price, even at premium quality.
I'd put my P1 on a par with my Sony WM1A, miles better than my AK70 mk2 and only below my R2R2000 and a dx240. To my ears it peed all over a Fiio x7ii, Sony zx300 and an ibasso dx160. Oh and this through a Xelento, Noble 8c, Sony z1r, 64Audio Duo and a UM 3DT.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #2,939 of 2,974
Have a few questions if anyone is still monitoring this thread. Just dusted off my P1 this past weekend after it's been on a shelf the last few years untouched and unplayed. I've been using a Classic Ipod with a Terabyte of internal storage, so it's been my go-to player for almost everything. But one thing I've used it for more than anything is simply eliminating tracks I don't like to create the biggest library of songs possible that I like. I won't even bother to preview albums before loading them in. If I don't like a track while playing all tracks on random, I'll simply mark it for deleting later on. Modern day phones and players seem to allow you to delete tracks right on the device. But older devices like the Classic Ipod only allow you to Mark tracks either by a star-rating or love.. that way when you sync the device later on with your laptop or desktop it allows you highlight all the tracks you marked and delete them from your library and delete them permanently to your recycling bin if you want. With the P1 I'm having difficulty finding a way to "Mark" a track I don't like. With my Walkman NW-A45 it allows you to add the track your listening to into a folder called "Language Study". Granted it's supposed to be used to help you learn a new language, but I considered it a fairly easy way to mark all the music I don't like and then simply empty the folder, permantly deleting all the marked tracks I disliked. With the P1 I don't see where I can give a currently played track a rating, or a love designation or send it into language study folder. Hell I'd love it if I could make a playlist called "Trash" or "Garbage" or "crappy Ass Tunes" that allows me to delete them later on. When you have a library of 50,000 songs the majority of them you don't ever want to hear again... deleting as many as it takes so that you create a library of new and old music you love the most. There's gotta be a way to do this with the P1, because if it's only meant to play a library that's already finished that's a deal breaker for me. Libraries should always be growing and evolving.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #2,940 of 2,974
Have you tried using the favorites? You can access favorites at least 2 different ways:
1) From the list menu (track, artist, album, etc) there is a icon to the right hand side at the top with 3 bars and a star - press that and you should see an option to add to favorites or do a search pop-up...
2) From the option menu in tracking playing view (little cog at top right) there will be the star icon which takes you to the favorites - go from there...
Don't believe there is any way to rate tracks that I have seen.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back