CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #1,666 of 2,468
@piotrus-g if i buy an universal iem from your company and i decide to sell it , can the 2nd owner send it to you for checking/fixing if a problem appears and the iem is still within the 12-month warranty period ?
Warning, you probably won't want to sell it unless the signature is not to your taste. Additional warning, said purchase could lead to more interest in ca products down the road.

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #1,667 of 2,468
I think the black was just to fit the theme of the product and to streamline production, considering the number of orders that came rushing in.
I was under the impression that the Black was originally made as a pre-series to be circulated among selected reviewers to get their feedback without disclosing the technicalities, so as to avoid psychological bias, and that they were made in solid black acrylic to prevent peeking, hence the name Black, which stuck. An amazing and apparently very successful attempt at obtaining the best possible price/quality ratio for an iem.

Mar 30, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,668 of 2,468
Huh, I wonder why that was... it's almost like a bunch of IEM reviewers were given some blind samples and gave such glowing reviews that people who hadn't ever spent so much money in one place suddenly flung their wallets at Piotr <me: looks at spot on table where wallet used to be, glares at Deezel, sighs, checks email again for the 40th time today to see if email from Custom Art came in [even though I know it's 5am in Warsaw and a bunch of the team is probably in Singapore]>

I asked Piotr your question at CanJam and he confirmed that he can indeed print in more than just black acrylic. But, he’s only doing so for the universals at the moment. He explained that 3D-printed customs - given their many curves - will result in shells with print marks and dull spots in specific areas. Universals have a much more linear shape, so print lines aren’t really visible on them aside from at the tip stems.

Doesn't Piotrus have a habit of dropping surprises on april the 1st and then spending the rest of the week trying to convince everyone it's real though :p ?

He does, but I can now assure you that the FIBAE 4 will be his latest release for quite some time.

I was under the impression that the Black was originally made as a pre-series to be circulated among selected reviewers to get their feedback without disclosing the technicalities, so as to avoid psychological bias, and that they were made in solid black acrylic to prevent peeking, hence the name Black, which stuck. An amazing and apparently very successful attempt at obtaining the best possible price/quality ratio for an iem.

Well, that’s the reason why it was black in the first place. What I’m talking about is why it wasn’t offered in colours other than black after the review period was over.

Mar 30, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #1,669 of 2,468
Well, that’s the reason why it was black in the first place. What I’m talking about is why it wasn’t offered in colours other than black after the review period was over.
Possibly because once you label a product as "Black" it gets kinda awkward to market it in different colours :wink: iFi Black Label docet.

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,671 of 2,468
Doesn't Piotrus have a habit of dropping surprises on april the 1st and then spending the rest of the week trying to convince everyone it's real though :p ?
Does he? That's hilarious! Makes me rethink the scope of April Fool's Day globally...
I asked Piotr your question at CanJam and he confirmed that he can indeed print in more than just black acrylic. But, he’s only doing so for the universals at the moment. He explained that 3D-printed customs - given their many curves - will result in shells with print marks and dull spots in specific areas. Universals have a much more linear shape, so print lines aren’t really visible on them aside from at the tip stems.
Just to be clear, we're talking about non-black customs, correct? I wonder what causes the dull spots on the other colors and if there's a workaround or material tweak to mitigate.

He does, but I can now assure you that the FIBAE 4 will be his latest release for quite some time.
<replacement wallet breathes a sigh of relief>
Once it goes black it never goes back
tumblr_okgfdxpaZZ1rfd7lko1_500.gifv

Mar 30, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #1,672 of 2,468
Does he? That's hilarious! Makes me rethink the scope of April Fool's Day globally...

Just to be clear, we're talking about non-black customs, correct? I wonder what causes the dull spots on the other colors and if there's a workaround or material tweak to mitigate.

<replacement wallet breathes a sigh of relief>

tumblr_okgfdxpaZZ1rfd7lko1_500.gifv

We're talking about all translucent colours in general. The reason why it's appearing on those colours and not solid black, is because the print lines and dull spots appear on the inside of the shell. This is the case with EarSonics too, where their solid black IEMs look extremely smooth, while their clear ones look very spotty. Even If there were any imperfections on the outside, you could easily sand/buff them out. The inside of the shell is where it gets tricky.

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,673 of 2,468

That’s why I changed my order for the FIBAE 4 to black, the 3D printing for the Black was so good I dropped the transparent colored design I picked to get this again...

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,674 of 2,468
Yeah we have previously done few premieres on 1st of April - Harmony 8 (first 8-driver in silicone IEM in the world) or Ei.3 (Custom Art venturing into acrylic for the first time) - that was fun for sure :) Nothing new this year though.

CanJam was a success for us and I would like to thank everyone who did and visit our both, also once again congratulations to the winner of giveaway! Thanks for your support!

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #1,675 of 2,468
Here are my short impressions about the Custom Art FIBAE Black :relaxed:

The Custom Art FIBAE Black is an in-ear monitor with a high-quality processed Acrylic Shell and a single FIBAE driver that does not have the primary goal of being your source for critical listening, on the contrary; The main feature of the FIBAE Black is the very musical, powerful, smooth and fatigue-free presentation that's perfect for enjoying and rediscovering your music collection.

Pros and Cons:
  • + Warm, Strong and Musical Presentation
  • + Overall Tonality and Consistency
  • + Fatigue-Free listening experience
  • + High Quality Acrylic Housing
  • + Pelican (1010) Case
  • - Soundstage is not very expansive
  • - Treble tuning is not suitable for Treble-Heads
  • - Detail Retrieval for the Price

Full Review
:globe_with_meridians:
https://moonstarreviews.net/custom-art-fibae-black-review/

..and some Shots :camera_with_flash:

20190126_173657.jpg

20190126_182507.jpg

20190126_190300.jpg

Apr 14, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #1,676 of 2,468
Hey guys and gals,

Probably a loaded question in here but I'm looking for an upgrade to my Shure 215s.
Been going through and reading a lot of good things about the CAs but also on my radar is some of the Fearless range. Any thoughts or comments between the two? At a push could possibly stretch to the F3 or the S8.
Primary use will be portable (Sony ZX300).

Apr 14, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #1,677 of 2,468
What type of signature are you going for? F2 is the fun one and the F3 is the clarity one (or so I gather?) There are also the blacks and the new 4 to consider. Also universal or custom?

Apr 14, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #1,678 of 2,468
The 4s are more than I'd like to spend. As much as I like fun I think I'm leaning more towards the 3s for greater openness. I've read some reviews with comparisons but with brands I have no experience with.

Edit: forgot to add most likely custom acrylic. Using my Shure with full sleeve custom silicone. I can find tips rather awkward.....

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #1,679 of 2,468
Some eye candy of the FIBAE Black

20190412_165957.jpg

Beautiful IEMs (or as my sister calls them Fanta Grape and Mountain Dew), with a beautiful tone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back