CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #886 of 2,466
The FIBAE 2 and FIBAE 3 definitely have more of my love these days.
Hi Daniel, I just read your very nice and comprehensive review of the various Vision Ears offerings. How would you compare FIBAE2/VE2 and FIBAE3/VE3? Thanks for your input!

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #887 of 2,466
Hi Daniel, I just read your very nice and comprehensive review of the various Vision Ears offerings. How would you compare FIBAE2/VE2 and FIBAE3/VE3? Thanks for your input!

Well, I unfortunately no longer have the VE units with me, but I’ll try my best to compare from memory. The FIBAE 2 is overall more v-shaped than the VE2, because the former has vocals that are more well-balanced, but less present. The VE2 has a bump in the presence region, while the FIBAE 2 is better balanced between the lower-and-upper-midrange. As a result, articulation in the VE2 has more energy (though leading to quicker fatigue in the long run), while the FIBAE 2 has a chestier and more complete vocal presentation. The FIBAE 2 has better bass and treble extension. Because of this, it surpasses the VE2 in stage stability and imaging precision and the bass region is more readily felt. The VE2’s source of clarity is in the upper-midrange, while the FIBAE 2’s is in the lower-treble. So, the FIBAE 2’s transient presentation is more rounded, while the VE2’s is more sparkly and shimmery.

The VE3 and the FIBAE 3 are variations on reference. The former achieves this through balance and linearity. No one frequency region overpowers the other, and this balance makes it admirably versatile. The FIBAE 3 is more W-shaped with a particular focus on the sub-bass, middle midrange and upper-treble. The FIBAE 3 is brighter in tone, more dynamic, but just as smooth and agreeable due to the lower-treble dip. The FIBAE 3’s generous upper-treble lift makes it sound crisper, airier and more open, whilst also increasing clarity and detail retrieval in a musical and inoffensive manner. The VE3’s weakness is - again - treble extension. Its stage dimensions aren’t very well defined (despite its decently-sized and engaging notes), and it gets fatiguing because of this after a while. The FIBAE 3’s excellent bidirectional extension gives it stronger imaging, greater headroom and instruments that feel more physical and tangible.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #888 of 2,466
Thank you for such a detailed and precise comparison!

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #889 of 2,466
Hey guys, I just posted my CanJam SG 2018 article on TheHeadphoneList.com, which you can check out HERE. Here's an excerpt from the article detailing my thoughts on the Custom Art FIBAE ME. Enjoy! :D

Custom Art

Also present at Music Sanctuary’s treasure trove of trinkets were two Polish manufacturers that I’ve had the absolute pleasure of working with time and time again on the site: Piotr Granicki of Custom Art and Emil Stolecki of Lime Ears. I visited the former first and auditioned his brand new product – the FIBAE Massdrop Edition. It’s a six-driver IEM with a bass-oriented signature, equipped with Custom Art’s innovative FIBAE technology designed to maintain the monitor’s signature regardless of source. Our very own Pinky Powers will be reviewing the custom variant of the FIBAE ME soon.

CJ2018-5.png

Custom Art FIBAE Massdrop Edition: The FIBAE ME was designed with an emphasis in the low-end to produce a warm, rich and pleasing sonic palate. Although the entire bass region itself is elevated, Piotr has tuned it specifically to emulate the physicality and air of a dynamic driver. Bolstered by a rise from the sub-bass all throughout the mid-bass, the ME achieves this successfully – simulating the viscerality and decay that certainly evokes a driver of this kind. And, this low-end warmth serves a double purpose; also adding richness and body into the midrange. The ME’s lower-midrange is attenuated to compensate for this, maximising the low-end’s harmonic richness without congestion or bloat.

Also a key player in this regard is an upper-midrange peak. The FIBAE ME employs an 8-9 kHz peak that heavily resembles the one found in their flagship Harmony 8.2. This peak aids vocal articulation and effectively prevents any excess bloat coming from the low-end. This is then capped off with a warm top-end and a relatively linear upper-treble – solidifying the ME’s mellow and organic signature. But, due to impressive treble extension, the FIBAE ME has one of the most impressive soundstages Custom Art has ever put out. Although it is inherently full-sounding because of its elevated low-end, the ME is equipped with more than enough headroom to create a spacious environment – expanding admirably in width and decently in depth to create an engaging-yet-easygoing soundscape.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #890 of 2,466
Apr 11, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #893 of 2,466
Received my F3 the other day - thanks for delaying it an extra day to Fedex. :angry:

I left the design up to Custom Art and holy crap, what I got was more than I expected. They simply look stunning. Took some pictures today as it was a little sunny outside, but only had my iPhone, so don't mind the quality (the pictures don't quite do them justice). I'll take some new ones with my Nikon gear another day...

I think I'll call this design for "Lost in Space" or something. :)

After having used them for a few days now, I really do enjoy them. I've otherwise primarily been enjoying my SE5U for the last couple of months, so it was interesting to try something with a (very) different and brighter signature. But they actually supplement them quite well - much better than I expected. The SE5U still has a little better "stage" and seperation (and 3 times the price), but the F3 brings out things I've never noticed before in tracks I've heard hundreds of times, and the bass and highs so nicely tuned. They are very enjoyable and my favourite Custom Arts so far (having tried most of their line-up).
I'll be using them mostly for "traveling", so right now they are paired with the AAW Capri cable/dac, but I did most of the listening so far with the Mojo.

They do sound as good as they look.
I'm impressed. Thanks Custom Art.:thumbsup:
I just got back from Asia yesterday, went to the office to catch up on things I saw pictures my team had taken of these and was blown away... The design turned out incredible! I think it's safe to say our team is stepping up their game trying to out-do each previous design. I don't think I could be more happy saying that :)

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #894 of 2,466
I just got back from Asia yesterday, went to the office to catch up on things I saw pictures my team had taken of these and was blown away... The design turned out incredible! I think it's safe to say our team is stepping up their game trying to out-do each previous design. I don't think I could be more happy saying that :)
Your team has been turning out so many great designs lately and always with a character to the design that feels uniquely "Custom Art". I really enjoy seeing them come by. Great work!

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #895 of 2,466
Still waiting for my nebula design fb1... another month or so....

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #896 of 2,466
Your team has been turning out so many great designs lately and always with a character to the design that feels uniquely "Custom Art". I really enjoy seeing them come by. Great work!
Definitely! Thanks!
Still waiting for my nebula design fb1... another month or so....
Thank you for your patience.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #897 of 2,466
So when do the Custom Art t-shirts come out? :D

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #899 of 2,466
IMG_4414.JPG
The waiting is finally over! Now my Harmony 8.2 has a little brother. Or is it a sister? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back