Cypherlabs AlgoRhythm Picollo Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #16 of 86
Soon. It's gone through a 48-72 hr burn-in so far. But today I've taken it out with me to work and currently giving it a listen. However I'm the kinda chap who needs a base reference to compare against and today I've whipped out only the -dB/CLAP & HM-901 (with balanced amp module). Some initial play around is that it hiss level appears to be as much as the Duet - in other words, if you don't hear the hiss in the Duet, you probably won't hear it on the CLAP (on low gain). OTOH if you do hear hiss on the Duet (and it's very very slight hint of hiss), it seems to be the same with the CLAP too.

There's also a very slight pot scratch but minimal. Not as clean as thet Duet or Theorem 720 but still negligible.

FYI: any sonic thoughts from me take ages 'cos I don't really like to hear once and regurgitate. I'd rather hear the same setup numerous times on different days and average my thoughts. I don't always hear the same thing every single time I listen - even if it's the same setup, same music, etc.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #17 of 86
I am eagerly waiting but I noted on one thing you noted, the "pot scratch", however slight, I prefer not to have this, especially coming from a medium priced product......

I like the way you average out your thoughts because to me, that is the best way to give a fair and unbiased personal review, especially our moods. Good moods, we feel music sounds better and sweet but in bad mood, we find music to be loud and noisy. Averaging out is a much better way.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 86
  I am eagerly waiting but I noted on one thing you noted, the "pot scratch", however slight, I prefer not to have this, especially coming from a medium priced product......

I like the way you average out your thoughts because to me, that is the best way to give a fair and unbiased personal review, especially our moods. Good moods, we feel music sounds better and sweet but in bad mood, we find music to be loud and noisy. Averaging out is a much better way.

I'd state that the pot scratch is noticeable only when there's no music playing (this was when I was testing to see if there was any hiss). With music playing I don't hear it (low gain). Also in low gain I don't hear channel imbalance, whilst in high gain (with my sensitive TG!334) I do hear a little channel imbalance at the lowest volume setting.

I think it should be obvious I'm testing in the most extreme cases - i.e. highly sensitive earphones on high gain on an analogue pot, etc. I can test with my Alpha Dogs tonight in high gain and I'm mostly sure I won't hear the channel imbalance there.

To me though, these seem to be common issues with the $300-$500 amps I've played (those on analogue pots naturally).

Edit: This is quite a grunty amp. The volume goes from around 1 o'clock -> 10 o'clock (12 o'clock is the off/on switch). At low gain with my TG!334, I'm listening at around 3 o'clock...and I'm known to be deaf who likes to listen at higher volumes than the average (Tokyo) head-fier.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #19 of 86

I'd state that the pot scratch is noticeable only when there's no music playing (this was when I was testing to see if there was any hiss). With music playing I don't hear it (low gain). Also in low gain I don't hear channel imbalance, whilst in high gain (with my sensitive TG!334) I do hear a little channel imbalance at the lowest volume setting.

I think it should be obvious I'm testing in the most extreme cases - i.e. highly sensitive earphones on high gain on an analogue pot, etc. I can test with my Alpha Dogs tonight in high gain and I'm mostly sure I won't hear the channel imbalance there.

To me though, these seem to be common issues with the $300-$500 amps I've played (those on analogue pots naturally).

Edit: This is quite a grunty amp. The volume goes from around 1 o'clock -> 10 o'clock (12 o'clock is the off/on switch). At low gain with my TG!334, I'm listening at around 3 o'clock...and I'm known to be deaf who likes to listen at higher volumes than the average (Tokyo) head-fier.

Well noted and thanks for the clarification. Yes now I understand that you are testing in the most extreme cases and all the issues noted are actually rather minute but still noticeable.

You mean this is a rather powerful amp? I like powerful amps, having oodles of power on tap should there be a need for it.

Thanks for sharing and answering my questions :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #20 of 86
Wow, I'm glad you waited. I need to update my hiss comment!!

OK this is a test from my wife (who has much more sensitive hearing than me). In her ranking, of hiss-wise, from most to least (of my amps) :-

1) Theorem 720
2) Apex Glacier
3) Tralucent DAC/Amp One
4) CLAP

In fact she had to listen very carefully for the hiss on the CLAP and it's almost non-existent! Very good news for the CLAP!

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is off the FitEar TO GO!334.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #22 of 86
Wow! The CLAP scores the best with the least amount of hiss! Problem is in Singapore it costs USD 520 instead of the USD 399 that we can get from the Cypher Labs website and it is only available in black, I prefer the Silver finishing. I can of course order it online but warranty wise it might be an issue of getting support over here. I am so so tempted to get this for my 2nd rig! This will be my truly portable rig while my existing rig would be paired to my NAD HP50 for watching movies and listening to songs at home.

I am pretty annoyed with the loud hiss from my standard Fiio E12 so it is now relegated to be used in my car, the E12DIY seems significantly better though but still it can be better. If only the CLAP has built in DAC then it would be perfect then no need to lug an additional DAC....hmmmmm

What DAP would you recommend to be paired to the CLAP?

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #23 of 86
At the risk of asking the difficult, if not the impossible,

What audible level of hiss are we referring to? And what kind of hiss, a hum or actual hiss? Have heard all sorts in my time

Am assuming with iem. Noise with headphones is something else ha!

Hi, The only hiss I've heard is "hiss" rather than hum (which I'd describe as a hum if I hear it), but the levels here are really low so I'm gonna ask my wife to do another listening test tonight to try answer your question. About the earphone question, yes IEM, TG!334.

Wow! The CLAP scores the best with the least amount of hiss! Problem is in Singapore it costs USD 520 instead of the USD 399 that we can get from the Cypher Labs website and it is only available in black, I prefer the Silver finishing. I can of course order it online but warranty wise it might be an issue of getting support over here. I am so so tempted to get this for my 2nd rig! This will be my truly portable rig while my existing rig would be paired to my NAD HP50 for watching movies and listening to songs at home.

I am pretty annoyed with the loud hiss from my standard Fiio E12 so it is now relegated to be used in my car, the E12DIY seems significantly better though but still it can be better. If only the CLAP has built in DAC then it would be perfect then no need to lug an additional DAC....hmmmmm

What DAP would you recommend to be paired to the CLAP?

I've not been following the Fiio E12 and didn't realise it hisses. As for DAP, good Q. For now I've got it bounded to my CLAS -dB 'cos since after the photo in the 1st post, the headphone balanced out (kobiconn) died on the left channel so it's gone back to David for repairs (and colour panel upgrade hopefully :D).

I did briefly pair it with the VentureCraft DD 12V LE (OPA627SM pre-OpAmp). Not long enough to see which DAC/Source suits it yet. Not tried with any lineout from DAPs either. I'm kinda low on DAPs at the moment - only the HM-901 with me.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #25 of 86

I've not been following the Fiio E12 and didn't realise it hisses. As for DAP, good Q. For now I've got it bounded to my CLAS -dB 'cos since after the photo in the 1st post, the headphone balanced out (kobiconn) died on the left channel so it's gone back to David for repairs (and colour panel upgrade hopefully :D).

I did briefly pair it with the VentureCraft DD 12V LE (OPA627SM pre-OpAmp). Not long enough to see which DAC/Source suits it yet. Not tried with any lineout from DAPs either. I'm kinda low on DAPs at the moment - only the HM-901 with me.

The standard E12 does hiss and it is quite prominent even when at idle but still it is a rather good amp for the price. Oic, I was considering getting ipod classic but the itunes interface is a pain in the a**, after chatting with a fellow Headfi'er now I have my eyes locked on the Cowon P1 which seems rather good but actual real world performance is still rather sketchy at the moment. I will wait it out for the time being and see how things goes :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 86
Hi anakchan! Can you try to pair it with thr dx90 and see what improvements made? And if possible, can you comparr it to the dx90+duet set up? Thanks in advance!!

I'll have to wait till @shigzeo passes me his DX90 & my Duet just left earlier this week and hopefully would be back in a few weeks from repair.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #29 of 86
Congrats Sean for Your New CLAP
Look like CLAP is not as Power full like DUET
Please Share about The bass and the soundstage , After Burn has An improvement ?

My Duet's gone back for repair. I'm actually not certain if the CLAP has less grunt than the Duet. Will tell when it gets back. Anyway, the two aren' competing with each other. The Duet has more features by allowing full balanced support.

I'll share in good time. Haven't had much listening time.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #30 of 86
Here's a few more brief thoughts on the CLAP. Quite quickly I've noted that it shouldn't be compared to the likes of the Theorem 720, Duet, or Hifiman HM-901 balanced amp module. Those will have the edge over the CLAP in terms of soundstage and separation. I'll need to compare it to my other amps like the Apex Glacier (which is about the only "mid range" amp I've got left in my collection).

However since I've already compared it to the higher ended products, I may as well share my thoughts as a reference rather than presenting them as competing models. As mentioned above, the CLAP has a more intimate soundstage compared to the 3 aforementioned devices. Narrowing down specifically to the HM-901 with the balanced amp module (OPA627 based) since that's most fresh in my mind, the CLAP has a more mid forward signature by comparison, whilst the HM901's has a deeper bass extension and a warm midbass signature. The mids of the HM901's balanced amp module seems more like a step back from the stage whilst with the CLAP especially on the midrange, feels like a front row presentation. In terms of the trebles, both are extended however as the CLAP's soundstage is smaller, its trebles can sound a little congested by comparison.

So, again, I'll need to compare the CLAP to other amps of its class rather than pick the crème de la crème components.

P.S. The HM-901 & CLAP test is with the HM-901's lineout cable. Earphones used are the Dita Truth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back