Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 1, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #16 of 1,925
@mrspeakers
Does E3 share the same ear pads as stealth/expanse?

I'm not dan, but from what i've seen on Currawong's video on the e3, they're almost the same with the difference being perforation, and synthetic leather on the inside of the pad itself.

Correct, it's the same geometry as the Stealth and Expanse pad but the inner wall is perforated, so the pads are not cross compatible.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 1, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #17 of 1,925
I was able to have these in for early audition. It took me a bit to get the fit and position just right allowing the e3 to really shine and impress. My head is somewhat smaller and I tend to lean back in my recliner to take the pressure off my problematic neck. Once I was able to speak with Dan and get a little guidance on fitment and position, I was able to get the e3 dialed in and really enjoy them. A few observations:

*quite possibly the best planar bass I've ever heard on any headphone
*extremely linear and smooth from the upper mids to the top of the treble range and very "musically" resolving
*tonality is very natural and convincing
*I really like the self adjusting fitment system (once I understood my earlier mistakes)

I think that DMS is essentially correct. If you enjoyed Aeon Noire, this would be the natural upgrade in the DCA line. In fact, I can see some people favoring the e3 over the Stealth especially considering the price discrepancy. At the end of the day this is a beautiful sounding headphone and makes it easy to be drawn into and intoxicated by the music.

Attachments

• 20231129_185401.jpg
    20231129_185401.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231129_180832.jpg
    20231129_180832.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231129_191906.jpg
    20231129_191906.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231129_185408.jpg
    20231129_185408.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #18 of 1,925
so far in the reviews there isn't much of a compared to .... how do these compare to other closed back head phones..... start with the LCD-xc please... and then others...

These would have been a great addition at the Dallas Camjam show... We missed you Dan... the headphones at the Dallas show that were talked about most seemed to be the Meze and the Tungsten...... a missed show for a stelar closed back... best of luck... sounds like a great addition to the closed back format... can't wait to hear them

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 1,925
Just a thought for Mr Clark: Since the grill pattern is printed on the glass, there seems to be an interesting opportunity to let people do their own custom prints, perhaps for an extra $100. Not sure what your production line is like or if this is possible but if it is, that'd be rad!

Even just offering one that's plain black under the glass would be nice, I'm personally not a big fan of the print on it currently.
Sound is what matters though and I'm looking forward to trying them out at CanJam, love my Expanse!

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #20 of 1,925
Finally a new closed back portable wired headphone I am waiting for! Have to listen to these someday! See If AK kann alpha can drive it well. Love to see how it compare to Stellia and Lric. If it sounds good, I will finally replace my Celestee as a portable commute headphone!

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #21 of 1,925
Just a thought for Mr Clark: Since the grill pattern is printed on the glass, there seems to be an interesting opportunity to let people do their own custom prints, perhaps for an extra $100. Not sure what your production line is like or if this is possible but if it is, that'd be rad!

Even just offering one that's plain black under the glass would be nice, I'm personally not a big fan of the print on it currently.
Sound is what matters though and I'm looking forward to trying them out at CanJam, love my Expanse!
We have considered something like custom printing, it's a bit more complex than we hoped, including the fact that we'd have to worry about people sending copyrighted material to us to print and install in a headphone, which would be illegal for us to do... Playing copyright police = no fun...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #22 of 1,925
We have considered something like custom printing, it's a bit more complex than we hoped, including the fact that we'd have to worry about people sending copyrighted material to us to print and install in a headphone, which would be illegal for us to do... Playing copyright police = no fun...
Just some different colors and patterns would be fine. You choose material that isn't copywrited and unique and be done with it. The grey isn't that compelling.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #23 of 1,925
Ah yes, that would be no bueno. I suppose people could always print their own vinyl stickers for the sides if they want. Would be easy with it being flat a flat piece of glass. Anyway, thanks for continuing to put out good products.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #25 of 1,925
Is the passive isolation from outside noise similar or equal to stealth ?

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #26 of 1,925
How could I not get these? With the DCA club membership got a nice 15% off. This is perhaps the only manufacturer I purchase from blind. I regard the Stealth as the best headphones in current production. Really looking forward to trying the E3.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #27 of 1,925
Is the passive isolation from outside noise similar or equal to stealth ?
Comparable. A couple db more leakage but isolation is comparable, I don't really note that delta, probably the music masks it as a listener.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #29 of 1,925
Will there also be an open back counterpart to E3? Just curious, because the red stitching on the Stealth/Expanse is on the closed....

Dec 1, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #30 of 1,925
I have some questions.

Why E3 as opposed to Ether3?

You pride yourself on making lightweight headphones, so why use glass for the backing of the cups instead of something that's rigid yet lighter?

Are those two holes on the backs of the cups bass ports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back