Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 9, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #1,187 of 1,945

According to his review, Hugo 2 still can't push E3 to the top. Wow! Basically all portable setups are gone. Only desktop setups will work fine. Although sound amazing, too bad for such a compact portable headphone that can't take on the go. Hope Dan will come out an easier to drive version of E3 in the future.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #1,188 of 1,945
Hugo 2 still can't push E3 to the top. Wow! Basically all portable setups are gone. Only desktop setups will work fine. Although sound amazing, too bad for such a compact portable headphone that can't take on the go. Hope Dan will come out and easier to drive version of E3 in the future.
my iFi Gryphon works just fine. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #1,191 of 1,945
One thing missing in his Radiance comparison is just how much less soundstage there is. He could have gone further with the soundstage comparison. I'd forgotten all about thinking about Radiance, and now it's back to top of the list for all-rounder killshot for life after that, for my needs

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #1,192 of 1,945
Hugo 2 still can't push E3 to the top. Wow! Basically all portable setups are gone. Only desktop setups will work fine. Although sound amazing, too bad for such a compact portable headphone that can't take on the go. Hope Dan will come out an easier to drive version of E3 in the future.
Thats how he hears it, but that isn't a reality.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #1,193 of 1,945
One thing missing in his Radiance comparison is just how much less soundstage there is. He could have gone further with the soundstage comparison. I'd forgotten all about thinking about Radiance, and now it's back to top of the list for all-rounder killshot for life after that, for my needs
You have to like the focal house sound which is dense.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #1,194 of 1,945
I disagree wholeheartedly and I've owned the E3 since it came out.
Well, he has tested more gear than us. Of course he will have the sense of best sound coming from E3. I agree Hugo 2 may not push E3 to the top. But the gap should be very close. Sure portable DAP will not push E3 to the top, but should be good enough to listen. That's another why I am keeping my Celestee for everything on the go. E3 will mainly stays at home until a better DAP comes out.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #1,195 of 1,945
I tried the A&K ARCO CA1000 on highest gain and balanced output and, yeah, it can get loud enough and the sound is very good and all, but it’s nowhere near as good as my desktop amps.
Being loud enough doesn’t mean you’re driving them properly. Just like Susvara (although E3 is definitely easier to drive, by comparison, but the signs of not being driven properly are similar: lack of solidity, thinner sound and soundstage collapse).
The only “portable” amp I own that drives them very well is the Bakoon HPA-21 on current output. I suspect the Enleum HPA-23RM would, too.

Edit: I should mention that - unlike with Susvara - you can somewhat compensate the effects with a warmer sounding source. Warmer DAC/amps like iFi’s bring some of the meat back on the bones (and with the Xbass you can get some of the bass impact, too - albeit quite loose) but it’s still not the same as when they’re driven properly.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #1,196 of 1,945
Well, he has tested more gear than us. Of course he will have the sense of best sound coming from E3. I agree Hugo 2 may not push E3 to the top. But the gap should be very close. Sure portable DAP will not push E3 to the top, but should be good enough to listen. That's another why I am keeping my Celestee for everything on the go. E3 will mainly stays at home until a better DAP comes out.
You have to remember this is someone who can hear and rate subtle differences in cables. This is way way beyond my hearing abilities.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #1,197 of 1,945
You have to remember this is someone who can hear and rate subtle differences in cables. This is way way beyond my hearing abilities.
But after the review, We all agree that E3 is very hard to drive. Portable DACs and DAPs already push their limits to almost the ceiling. I really wish Dan will make future E3 easier to drive. Not crazy easy to drive. But at least friendly to more portable sources. Like LCD5.

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #1,198 of 1,945
You have to remember this is someone who can hear and rate subtle differences in cables. This is way way beyond my[everyone's] hearing abilities.

Not all audiophile are created equal, some are better than us mere mortals without this super power. :L3000:

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #1,200 of 1,945
You have to like the focal house sound which is dense.
Ye but it's ticking so many boxes in comparison to this world leader , especially the portable, but yeah thanks I'll keep that in mind... just if the soundstage was world's away, for home listening I would lean to E3, its just that I didn't quite get that from his brief comp.. thanks for reply..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back