Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #1,216 of 1,999
Anyone saying the Hugo 2 doesn't have enough power is probably deaf. Just my $.02.

True enough. I always say that using the output of a laptop or phone makes sense if you want convenient, low-level background listening.
Not so much power but synergy - with the thinness/brightness of H2 as you said magnifying that tad upper mids lower treble hardness on E3 as I hear - like T50s also had - not enabling me to ramp it up just that bit more to get at all the technicalities.

It's just a personal preference thing, in that H2 is more suited to thicker/euphonic planar cans with stepped back/rolled-off treble to my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #1,217 of 1,999
As a new headfi-er to this level of gear, and not a massive collector of gear I do like to do a lot of research. But damn the opposing reviews (or at least the “yeah but”), thoughts and alternative suggestions makes deciding a minefield.

I guess at some point you just have to take the plunge.

Definitely interested in the E3’s and have the amp to power them.

Maybe wait till CanJam London…..and then get more bamboozled

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #1,218 of 1,999
As a new headfi-er to this level of gear, and not a massive collector of gear I do like to do a lot of research. But damn the opposing reviews (or at least the “yeah but”), thoughts and alternative suggestions makes deciding a minefield.

I guess at some point you just have to take the plunge.

Definitely interested in the E3’s and have the amp to power them.

Maybe wait till CanJam London…..and then get more bamboozled
Do you need a closed back? Can you accept some upper mid overemphasis from time to time? If yes E3 is pretty much it. All other closed backs regardless of price have more issues with them than E3.

Edit. To be fair it has been at least 10yrs since I last heard r10 so bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #1,219 of 1,999
Do you need a closed back? Can you accept some upper mid overemphasis from time to time? If yes E3 is pretty much it. All other closed backs regardless of price have more issues with them than E3.

Edit. To be fair it has been at least 10yrs since I last heard r10 so bear that in mind.
Not immediately but yes this year I will when I have a shared office and craft room with the wife.

My Arya Stealths are not exactly a private music experience.

Was thinking Aeon Noire, but in for a penny, in for a pound.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #1,220 of 1,999
Not immediately but yes this year I will when I have a shared office and craft room with the wife.

My Arya Stealths are not exactly a private music experience.

Was thinking Aeon Noire, but in for a penny, in for a pound.
Then you have your answer. I can confirm E3 works well in your specific use case. If you don’t want to be tethered to your desk you should consider Dali io12. Step down in quality but good enough for general listening.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #1,221 of 1,999
Then you have your answer. I can confirm E3 works well in your specific use case. If you don’t want to be tethered to your desk you should consider Dali io12. Step down in quality but good enough for general listening.
A good pair of wireless cans are always on the list. Got cheap priced AirPod Max and while not the best sounding the freedom of wirefree is lovely.

But they are for later.

I think it’s either these or something from ZMF

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #1,223 of 1,999
A good pair of wireless cans are always on the list. Got cheap priced AirPod Max and while not the best sounding the freedom of wirefree is lovely.

But they are for later.

I think it’s either these or something from ZMF
Wouldn’t waste your time with VC from ZMF. It’s worse sounding than my $400 ETA miniC.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #1,225 of 1,999
Definitely much better than the overhyped Bathys.
I love the look of Focals tbf but I’ve not seen any review where there isn’t something better around the same price and less even. I’d rather get a pair of ML5909

I have a pair of AudioQuest NichtOwls that with the Burson 3X GT have gone to a new level. I great example of a quality amp making a difference. I make no excuses for liking them.

But want the next level of closed back so I guess spending 4x the price might get me there.

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #1,227 of 1,999
Thanks for your feedback on the Stealth-phonitor coupling, FinHifi. Someone on a youtube comment told me the exact opposite. Glad that it worked for your hard-to-drive Stealth. I love the cross feed function of SPL.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #1,230 of 1,999
Oh sure but sometimes the wording from someone will transform "extreme nitpicking" into "non-functioning setup, absolutely terrible, total no-go", and you don't quite know what is what. Felt weird to be told a 2k amp couldn't amp a high end headphone. I'm glad to read another take on the mater. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back