Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 24, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #451 of 1,929
  • Probably about 12 hours burn-in
  • I've owned the Liric only for about 2 weeks
I would give them at least 50 hours or more.

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #452 of 1,929
I would give them at least 50 hours or more.
Is burn-in real? Is it really the headphones that are burning in or just my ears? Can I just leave them playing 24/7 on the stand for a few days?

Sorry — noob questions 😇

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #453 of 1,929
  • Probably about 12 hours burn-in
  • I've owned the Liric only for about 2 weeks

Not to jump on the bandwagon here but yeah I never really believed in break in but I let my E3 run to 100 hours before I did any critical listening. I would check in on them for a minute or two during the process to make sure they were still playing so I think I avoided any type of brain burn in. I can say that when I first put them on at the beginning of the 100 hours the bass was a bit shy and they were a bit forward/bright sounding however after a 100 hours it really seemed like they changed a bit, not drastic, but enough to where the bass now sounded tighter and more prominent while the brightness seemed to smooth out. It just sounded better balanced.

It's funny about the lyric to the Noire comparison because I went the opposite way. I thought the Noire sounded better, the Lyric was clearer but at the risk of sounding thin. There was really one song that convinced me of my preference to the Noire and that was Steely Dan "Aja" where the Lyric sounded less dynamic to me with a rather mid forward sound and the Noire sounded fuller and more dynamic like a more modern recording. Yes the Lyric and Noire were burned in for the same amount of hours.

Of course to each there own.

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #454 of 1,929
Is burn-in real? Is it really the headphones that are burning in or just my ears? Can I just leave them playing 24/7 on the stand for a few days?

Sorry — noob questions 😇
Yes, you can just leave them on a stand playing at a normal level.

People discuss, argue about burn-in and have a for a long time. If you don't listen constantly, you will know if it is real or not for you.

Mechanically and electrically, there are changes with time.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #455 of 1,929
If you’re ok with carrying around a brick, the M17 does work very well with the E3 in my experience.
M17 is too huge. If I take M17, I would rather take Hugo 2 on the go.
I wish the dap is pocketable. Kann alpha/max, dx320 is the max size I would take on the go. But I believe dx320 can't reach 1.5W for E3.
The dealer said my current best portable option will be hook mojo with your phone. Or Cayin C9 hook on your phone. But C9 is even more expensive.
I already have hugo2, downgrade from hugo 2 to mojo is almost undoable. You lose so much on mojo compare to hugo 2.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #456 of 1,929
I see what you're saying, but I literally have zero to no influence from others. I tried these headphones for many hours and I wrote up what I think. Of course, they are only my opinions! I do prefer a slight V-shaped sound.
You're allowed to like what you like. You're in an E3 thread, so people will obviously get defensive about their new headphone if you rank it lower. I think the E3 likes lots of power, so maybe part of your experience is based on what you were driving it with.

On my Burson 3X GT, the E3 doesn't need to be on high gain, but it sounds better when on high gain with the volume level the same as medium gain.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #457 of 1,929
Dan Clark E3 has been purchased! Looking forward to comparing to my Atrium Closed. It sounds like they compliment each other well, but I will only be keeping one. Let's see how this goes!

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #458 of 1,929
It's still not completely vegan?
I know the headband of stealth and noire was not.

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #459 of 1,929
M17 is too huge. If I take M17, I would rather take Hugo 2 on the go.
I wish the dap is pocketable. Kann alpha/max, dx320 is the max size I would take on the go. But I believe dx320 can't reach 1.5W for E3.
The dealer said my current best portable option will be hook mojo with your phone. Or Cayin C9 hook on your phone. But C9 is even more expensive.
I already have hugo2, downgrade from hugo 2 to mojo is almost undoable. You lose so much on mojo compare to hugo 2.
Mojo or Mojo2? Mojo2 is fantastic, IMHO.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #460 of 1,929
Susvara and He1kSE.
The latter came shortly after is nearly as good and costs half of the Susvara.

Essentially the same thing
not even close, bad comparison...susvara head and shoulders better

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #462 of 1,929
fair enough, I own the susvara and owned the SE..I dont think many would suggest they are equal...the SE is more efficient and that was an attraction for many but sonically susvara is I think pretty much the consensus better

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #463 of 1,929
@mrspeakers its hard to get a sense of listening volume without a calibrated rig, but I was curious if you could share what mojo 2 volume color range you listen to? I find I’m usually somewhere between white + orange through white + green but have no idea what SPL that is roughly.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #464 of 1,929
Seasons Greetings to all from Antarctica!! I just shot the below photo of the sunset as the clock struck midnight here on Christmas Eve. Am posting in the E3 thread as that's the headphone I'm traveling with, and it's been serving me very, very well indeed. You could say my headphone journey has now literally taken me (almost) to the ends of the Earth... :relaxed: p.S. That's an iceberg just right of center. They look far more glorious in the bright sunlight, unfortunately...

20231224_235307.jpg

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #465 of 1,929
not even close, bad comparison...susvara head and shoulders better
The discussion was in this thread before.
It's not my opinion that they are nearly equal, but what reviews of the HekSE stated.

So it was a perfect comparison for the E3 <> Stealth case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back