Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #1,246 of 1,940
Agreed on isolation. But the leakage is pretty bad with the ports compared to some other closed backs. You may not hear her, but she’ll likely hear you, depending on volume. I say this as another guy that shares a home office with my wife on some days.
I don't there is a magic formula to make closed headphone sound like open and not have some sort of sound leak. As long as they are not Arya levels we're good, which they simply cannot be.

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #1,247 of 1,940
Agreed on isolation. But the leakage is pretty bad with the ports compared to some other closed backs. You may not hear her, but she’ll likely hear you, depending on volume. I say this as another guy that shares a home office with my wife on some days.
my experience is I can hear people next me talking but they can’t hear what I am listening. Did you ask people around you if they can hear your music? I usually listen at 75ish SPL.

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #1,248 of 1,940
There is not much in my opinion. Especially when compared to others like ZMF closed and Meze and Focal

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #1,249 of 1,940
When I auditioned the E3 I mainly used the Fiio R9 and R7 as my source as they are the logical sources that’s close enough (power wise) to what I currently have. Anyone can say these two sources are more than enough but they are not, Acceptable to some maybe.. but when plugging the E3 on more powerful and very capable desktop amps it’s almost like a totally different phone, a really good headphone that I would buy happily.

I also did notice that the E3 sounded better on the darker sounding R7 and sounds thin on the R9. My Tago T3-03 which was very well driven by the R9 sounded way more dynamic and can even say betters the E3. Of course the E3 is folds better properly driven.
When you auditioned with the FiiO R9 were you using a balanced cable? I’m currently running my E3s from an iFi Audio Pro iDSD (not signature) using the 4.4mm balanced. It’s a nice combination, but I suspect the E3s would perform better with more power. The R9 is on my radar and I’d be using the XLR balanced connection. Sure, I could just add a separate amp to the iDSD, but for a desktop headphone system I prefer an all-in-one setup over multiple components…

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #1,250 of 1,940
There is not much in my opinion. Especially when compared to others like ZMF closed and Meze and Focal
I guess it depends on your comparison sets. The best I have for minimal leakage are the K371 and Razer Opus 2020 - E3 is definitely more than those, but they are nowhere near the E3’s league. It doesn’t help that my wife’s desk is literally back to back with mine. For most it probably won’t be an issue as long as you’re not close to others AND in a very quiet environment.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #1,251 of 1,940
When you auditioned with the FiiO R9 were you using a balanced cable? I’m currently running my E3s from an iFi Audio Pro iDSD (not signature) using the 4.4mm balanced. It’s a nice combination, but I suspect the E3s would perform better with more power. The R9 is on my radar and I’d be using the XLR balanced connection. Sure, I could just add a separate amp to the iDSD, but for a desktop headphone system I prefer an all-in-one setup over multiple components…
4.4mm BAL. I was getting good details and layering but left me wanting more on it’s over all presentation.
I did fall in love with the R9 and am considering it for the bedroom, no more stumbling with physical remotes.

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #1,252 of 1,940
I've been getting to know my E3-s for almost a week now. I'm learning to enjoy them more and more and more and more every day. I'm running them on Mojo 2 > Atom Amp 2 > E3. I hope this is powerful enough now as I'm too inexperienced with hi-end to draw comparisons or understand whether something is lacking in E3 on this source chain. Has anyone else tried this combo? (I also appreciate my old mdr-a1m2-s a bit more now. I am not comparing them directly; I just realized again the mdr-a1m2-s are very good for the price, too.) By the way, which is probably blasphemy for some, I like E3-s with the lowest end increased by 5 dB on the Mojo 2.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,253 of 1,940
I've been getting to know my E3-s for almost a week now. I'm learning to enjoy them more and more and more and more every day. I'm running them on Mojo 2 > Atom Amp 2 > E3. I hope this is powerful enough now as I'm too inexperienced with hi-end to draw comparisons or understand whether something is lacking in E3 on this source chain. Has anyone else tried this combo? (I also appreciate my old mdr-a1m2-s a bit more now. I am not comparing them directly; I just realized again the mdr-a1m2-s are very good for the price, too.) By the way, which is probably blasphemy for some, I like E3-s with the lowest end increased by 5 dB on the Mojo 2.
How does Beecher sound on them...? :beyersmile: (that album isn't the best recording and I'm assuming the E3 does it no favours?)

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #1,255 of 1,940
You know, @yrstruly , while it sounded somewhat congested, a bit upper-mid focused, and somewhat lacking in overall depth and layering, I cannot say I didn't enjoy it. I understand the notion of these headphones being unforgiving of poor production, yet it didn't require a lot of effort to focus on the positives instead.

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #1,256 of 1,940
Chime in, anyone who can:
I have thought about this combination, the Mojo 2 and Atom Amp 2 (also Mojo 2 and Topping L30 II). This is because of the varying opinions in this thread on getting the E3 into a territory where the E3’s full potential is available. There is a consensus that the Mojo 2, by itself, is doing a good job – maybe great even, I can’t remember – but will the Atom Amp 2 (or the Topping L30 II) with the Mojo 2 as a DAC make a significant difference regarding the E3, bringing the headphone from good/great into excellent?

And @deadforweeks: Could you please describe the difference in what you are hearing between the Mojo 2 by itself (and with no EQ) and in the Atom Amp 2 combo?

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #1,257 of 1,940
Hey, @Salted Peanut, firtsly, I'm not experienced enough or perhaps don't even have a good enough hearing to claim any of this is real. However, I thought I heard a bit more authoritative/defined lows/lower mids (drum thump?) and tamer mids/upper-mids when running through the amp. But, if the difference was indeed there, it was so subtle that I might have as well imagined it. This was based on Amber Rubarth's Novocaine. I think if you don't pay too much attention to details obsessively and just want to enjoy some music, it does not make a huge difference, and just running off the Mojo 2 is very good.

This is why I would be interested to know myself, too, whether at least on paper this is a capable combination and the Atom Amp 2 has the specs to drive E3 efficiently, as there's nothing else I can compare with and do crave that peace of mind. :)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #1,258 of 1,940
Hey, @Salted Peanut, firtsly, I'm not experienced enough or perhaps don't even have a good enough hearing to claim any of this is real. However, I thought I heard a bit more authoritative/defined lows/lower mids (drum thump?) and tamer mids/upper-mids when running through the amp. But, if the difference was indeed there, it was so subtle that I might have as well imagined it. This was based on Amber Rubarth's Novocaine. I think if you don't pay too much attention to details obsessively and just want to enjoy some music, it does not make a huge difference, and just running off the Mojo 2 is very good.

This is why I would be interested to know myself, too, whether at least on paper this is a capable combination and the Atom Amp 2 has the specs to drive E3 efficiently, as there's nothing else I can compare with and do crave that peace of mind. :)
Thank you for your reply. It’s quite useful for me, so you know. An audio store close to me got the E3 in for about a month ago, and what I will do at my first audition (thinking at least two auditions before deciding to buy or not) is listening through my Mojo 2, then one of the stores high-end HPA’s and finally with my Mojo 2 as a DAC.

Yea, likewise. Let’s hope someone chimes in :)

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #1,259 of 1,940
Thank you for your reply. It’s quite useful for me, so you know. An audio store close to me got the E3 in for about a month ago, and what I will do at my first audition (thinking at least two auditions before deciding to buy or not) is listening through my Mojo 2, then one of the stores high-end HPA’s and finally with my Mojo 2 as a DAC.

Yea, likewise. Let’s hope someone chimes in :)
Forget two auditions (if you meant two visits). Do everything in one go. You’re not going to appreciate minor differences unless it’s as back-to-back.

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #1,260 of 1,940
First post, but I thought I would chime in regarding the comfort of the DCA E3 headphones. When I first unboxed and started to use the headphones I initially experienced a pressure point at the very top of my head, in the center of the headband.

I tried removing the headband and breaking it in with my hands, but the E3's automatic size-adjusting elastic band is housed within the outer portion of the headband and these regions can only be broken in so much (I was hesitant about bending or placing pressure on these attachment points). As a result, breaking in the headband eliminated the pressure point at the top but introduced two pressure points closer to the side.

I also own the DCA AEON 2 Noire headphones, so I then experimented with using the DCA AEON 2 Noire headband with the DCA E3. I experienced the following issues:

1) The wire frame chassis of the DCA AEON 2 Noire is separated by a consistent gap (like train tracks), but the gap between the wires on the E3 becomes wider as you move away from their attachment point. This means that moving the headband from the DCA AEON 2 Noire over to the E3 requires clamping down on the wire chassis, bending them, and making the chassis-headband attachment points (black plastic pieces) less mobile. If you have a small head, I do not think it would be feasible to clamp down on the wire chassis to degree required to attached the headband close to the origin point of each wire.
2) You cannot transplant the arms (and wire chassis) from the AEON 2 Noire to the E3 because the ear cups have different dimensions and, as a result, so do the arms and yokes.
3) The DCA AEON 2 Noire has two attachment points (black plastic pieces) for the headband that can move freely to adjust the fit of the headphones. If you remove the two black plastic pieces by unscrewing the screw used to attach them to each other, you will find a smooth plastic washers on each wire that is used to help the attachment points move along the wire chassis. This is attached to the wire chassis and cannot be migrated, introducing friction and making the AEON 2 Noire headband less mobile if migrated over to the E3 wires.
4) The E3 ear cups are relatively heavy and this additional weight is supported by the upward force provided by the elastic material used to attach the headband to the chassis. As the AEON 2 Noire headband is just a static piece of leather, using the AEON 2 Noire headband resulted in the heavier ear cups drooping lower without the necessary upward support, reducing comfort somewhat.

In light of these issues, I reached out to ZMF and asked them if they had an recommendations for an aftermarket pad to go with the latest DCA headphones (including the E3). The ZMF employee that responded to me mentioned that the Co-Pilot and Crescent Snap headband would probably work well, but I was not able to purchase the Crescent strap in my region and decided on the Co-Pilot pad for the time being.

I can say that the ZMF Co-Pilot pad works very well with the DCA E3! The added thickness of the pad does increase the tension in the E3's elastic bands somewhat, which does make the ear cups ride a little higher and might not be great for the longevity of the elastic band itself (though this probably is not a big deal unless your head is very, very large to begin with).

Ultimately, I was feeling pressure points after one hour and now I can wear the E3 headphones all day without issue.

Here's a link to the products I mentioned:
1) ZMF Crescent Snap - https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/crescent-snap
2) ZMF Co-Pilot Pad - https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/copilot

I hope this helps somewhat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back