DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #661 of 1,134
Did the firmware 3.7 update on my Terminator Plus using my M2 Mac mini. The directions were pretty easy to follow. No issues so far.

Checked out the new sound a little bit. More treble presence, more clarity. Will listen more this weekend.

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #662 of 1,134
I have just updated the Terminator II DAC to the v3.7 firmware using Hermes DDC I2S connections.
The procedure was quite involved but with the insightful & quick help of Vinshine on a couple of stages (resetting of the clock sync & out) it was completed successfully.
Thanks to Vinshine's support and great products!
Yes , I did the firmware upgrade v 3.7 to my terminator plus and having issues with connecting I2s to Gaia ddc. I couldn't able to sync clock and looks like hdmi pin out also changed.

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #663 of 1,134
Yes , I did the firmware upgrade v 3.7 to my terminator plus and having issues with connecting I2s to Gaia ddc. I couldn't able to sync clock and looks like hdmi pin out also changed.
How old is your Gaia? I thought the issue only affects "old" Iris DDC, e.g. Vinshine firmware update team told me my less than two years old Iris (bought new in Oct 2021) is too "old" to be compatible with my V3.7 upgraded T+ for I2S connection, suggested me to use other connections for now while they are working on a solution ;( I don't want to use connections other then I2S so I rolled back to V1.0...

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #664 of 1,134
How old is your Gaia? I thought the issue only affects "old" Iris DDC, e.g. Vinshine firmware update team told me my less than two years old Iris (bought new in Oct 2021) is too "old" to be compatible with my V3.7 upgraded T+ for I2S connection, suggested me to use other connections for now while they are working on a solution ;( I don't want to use connections other then I2S so I rolled back to V1.0...
Oh , my one is from end of 2020 , so I guess similar issues then . Ok , I will roll back to version 1 and wait for the fix . I already messaged vinshine crew and awaiting reply .
Thank u
Matt

Jun 7, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #665 of 1,134
Oh , my one is from end of 2020 , so I guess similar issues then . Ok , I will roll back to version 1 and wait for the fix . I already messaged vinshine crew and awaiting reply .
Thank u
Matt
Sure. In your case there are more setting combinations you could try since both Gaia and Terminator Plus are capable of configuring I2S pinout. In my case Iris DDC has a fixed (non-adjustable) I2S pinout, so I tried all the combinations (000 - 111 ) at the T-Plus end but to no vail.

Jun 7, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #667 of 1,134
I was able to get my I2s working on terminator without clock sync. But when I turn on clock sync in gaia , music stops . I can't get it to work on any combination with clock sync on .
Mmmh, interesting. I was able to get the clock sync work between Terminator and Iris, but couldn't get the I2S work (no setting could play both PCM and DSD correctly). I didn't get any sound at the beginning after update, but when I reset the Terminator clock out to OPT (45/49Mhz), then it worked...

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #668 of 1,134
Yup , I tried the "opt" setting for 45/49 but no sound . I tried to revert it back to old firmware but strangely problem persisted but at that point I was tired and frustrated , so I decided stop there without checking other settings . Probably I will revisit tonight and update .

Jun 8, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #669 of 1,134
I am having the same issues with my T2 and Gaia. Cannot get the correct I2S pin-out. Tried reintalling the 3.7 firmware but still the same. Decided to try the 3.6 firmware and it works. No issue with I2S connection between the T2 and Gaia. Definitely there's an issue with firmware 3.7 with T2 and Gaia.

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #670 of 1,134
I am having the same issues with my T2 and Gaia. Cannot get the correct I2S pin-out. Tried reintalling the 3.7 firmware but still the same. Decided to try the 3.6 firmware and it works. No issue with I2S connection between the T2 and Gaia. Definitely there's an issue with firmware 3.7 with T2 and Gaia.
Yitaro, how you find from the v3.6 sound?
Guys, my T+ (Nov'22) & hermes (Jan'23) seem working fine with v3.7 update.
=> v3.7: no clk sync issue and i2s working fine. Note: I2s setting is Hermes 0x000; T+ is 0x111, DAC require swap the DSD L/R channel.
=> v1.0: same i2s setting as v3.7. Only different is the DSD L/R channel need swap back to normal.
For some reason, I only tried out v3.7 for 24hrs. Then chg back to v1.0 as found the old version has more musical depth, etc. Own preferences!
To me burn in seem like more for analog circuit, not for FPGA type digital. I might be wrong this time as some of you insist burn in did help. I may chg my mind to try out v3.7 again, will see!!

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #671 of 1,134
Yitaro, how you find from the v3.6 sound?
The 3.6 firmware sounds just like everyone said. Very detail without sounding harsh. This 3.6 firmware doesn't hide bad recordings. In my system, I really like the 3.6 firmware. It has brought more space between instruments and I like details. Soundstage is bigger and deaper. One thing that has really impressed me with this 3.6 is that the vocal is brought out front and center, with instruments perfectly layered and spaced right behind it. Sounds like a real live concert.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #673 of 1,134
...For some reason, I only tried out v3.7 for 24hrs. Then chg back to v1.0 as found the old version has more musical depth, etc. Own preferences!
To me burn in seem like more for analog circuit, not for FPGA type digital. I might be wrong this time as some of you insist burn in did help. I may chg my mind to try out v3.7 again, will see!!

For me v3.7 sounded a little bright on my T2 + Gaia right "out of the box." I let it burn for about 48 hours and it definitely smoothed out. I'm now up to like 100 hours and it doesn't seem like the sound changed very much, if at all. So far I've listened to a couple of tracks that are a little brighter than I'd prefer but in general I'm loving all the detail and presence from 3.7. I've got a lot of options to fine tune the sound with different tubes but I'm going to wait a while longer before making any moves. JMO/FWIW/YMMV and all that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back