Denon AH-7200
Aug 27, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #33 of 3,157
Interested in how these will be tuned for sound signature, whether they go toward EMU-Teak or Fostex TH-900/610. Hoping they try to tune more to a reference goal like EMU-Teak, rather than a fun sound like TH-X00. Cup cut appears closer to Teak than all other cups, yet cup wall-thickness comparison is unknown so far. 

If they're Walnut, it is a fairly neutral tonewood across the full frequency bandwidth, so a Foster bio-dyna driver may retain it's inherent V-shape response without tuning, as final sound signature, but photos indicate close to a Teak cup cut. The fine vintage Sony biocellulose had a reference-type linear response characteristic (rather than V-shape), seen best in MDR-R10, CD3000, SA5000 & Qualia. So, will be interesting to see if they tune these Denon toward heavy basshead, V-shape or try to get near reference.

Enjoying my EMU-Rosewood way more than my Foster TH-00 Mahogany. For biocell, my Sony CD3000 still are a greater reference tuning and so accurate in timbre and tonality, a step above these other non-Sony models, (also vegan composite rather than wood cups); I have not heard TH-900. As a non-biocell, standard driver, my JVC Victor DX1000 woody also outperform these Foster biodyna types (not sure vs TH-900). Foster-types can have great sub-bass as possibly their best feature.

The EMU Rosewood have a tighter and much deeper subterranean sub bass than TH-X00 to note, with clearer midrange, hands down better in every and all other attributes. 

Wonder which way Denon will go for tuning the AH-7200 ?

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #34 of 3,157
I'm interested in knowing who is making these - Denon themselves or a 3rd party manufacturer like the first generation which was made by Foster.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #35 of 3,157
I'm interested in knowing who is making these - Denon themselves or a 3rd party manufacturer like the first generation which was made by Foster.

Same. I did enjoy the AH-D600 when I had them, but I prefer my recently acquired AH-D2000 (that I am enjoying immensely). Have read a lot of your impressions Oregonian and it helped pique my interest in the Denon series.

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #36 of 3,157

Hahahah Nice. You have all the reasons to.

I think you Massdrop guys have actually awaken Denon the Dragon back up with your fully booked drops of your Fostex x00 as well the EMU collaboration. Suddenly Denon realizes how hot these cakes are, and they don't wanna be left out since... they started it. Yeah.

Well, you guys are now going head to head. It's good. Really helps consumers. Your much better cans, at a much, much competitive prices have really triggered serious fan-following. Even though I didn't drop them with you guys (because of the delivery times, which could be improved, and I'm sure your working on it), I didn't even know much about the EMU Teaks or Fostex until you brought your x00 into the spotlight. More options, good for the masses.

Bring it on Denon. Let's see what you can pull out of your sleeves. Better be worth it. Otherwise, Massdrop is the next best thing for all those drooling.

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #37 of 3,157
OH BTW, just looked at the cans in the photos.

Something's not right here. There are no ports, and the cans look fully sealed. Not good, at least I like to think so.

The EMU & x00 are ported pairs, not closed. And those are just excellent acoustics, as we already know what it achieves. Completely closed backs on these are... well really tough to get past tuning-wise, as the earlier Denon design has been tried and tested all this time.

AND, detachable cable. I guess we really need to know how they're doing it. They have to be really small... mmcx or something maybe. Anything near to even 2.5mm will not work.

EMU and Fostex have protruding detachable options for all good reasons. I've opened my cans times to many and made few attempts at detachable cable ports realize why internal/invisible ports are difficult, if not impossible, now that I know how the acoustics are working. The driver baffle/plastic frame needs to rest inside the cups in a certain way. The baffle covers the cups completely, then is attached to the frame. Sound needs to be pushed through the holes near the corners of the baffle into the frame towards the listener and then escape out the gap (between the cups and the frame0. For this reason, since there's no room around the baffle area or the frame, any cable connections need to be minimal, and detachable need to be outside the frame. Either we'll see what kind of connectors Denon is using on the 7200, or they're just messing with the cans from the inside. Again, not good.

Suddenly I'm less hopeful. Well better just stick to EMUs until they die out.

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #38 of 3,157
Same. I did enjoy the AH-D600 when I had them, but I prefer my recently acquired AH-D2000 (that I am enjoying immensely). Have read a lot of your impressions Oregonian and it helped pique my interest in the Denon series.

Add the Lawton mods to the D2000, and add his angled pads.
You will have a whole new D2000 that way...
If you have the chance, wood the cups.

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #40 of 3,157
Aug 30, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #41 of 3,157
From the pic above. It looks like a variation of the Fostex drivers.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #42 of 3,157
I read that they are the edge-free drivers, which denon has made in the past. As far as fully closed vs semi-open, my d600 had more air and soundstage than the th-x00, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #43 of 3,157
FULLY CLOSED!
FULLY CLOSED!
FULLY CLOSED!
FULLY CLOSED!
PLEEEAAASSSEEEE!!!

beyersmile.png

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #44 of 3,157
FULLY CLOSED!
FULLY CLOSED!
FULLY CLOSED!
FULLY CLOSED!
PLEEEAAASSSEEEE!!!

:beyersmile:

I dont favor fully closed anymore. All premium and natural sounding stuff is ported at the least. On top of that premium stuff is also the worst with seal, leakage or even passive noise isolation. So why closed? The only good sounding closed, commercially, are Beyer Dynamics.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #45 of 3,157
I dont favor fully closed anymore. All premium and natural sounding stuff is ported at the least. On top of that premium stuff is also the worst with seal, leakage or even passive noise isolation. So why closed? The only good sounding closed, commercially, are Beyer Dynamics.

Some people don't have the luxury of working from home everyday and/or not working in a cubicle with a bunch of people near you... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back