Denon AH-7200
Nov 22, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #1,456 of 3,155
There are like 4 versions of the X00 which all have different signatures due to cups and pads.
Yeah, I hear that the Mahogany cups are less V-Shaped and the ebony cups lessens the treble. When I got my purple hearts I didn't really consider the sound signature. I just like the look of the cups. I know differently now.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #1,458 of 3,155
Except that the D7200 is literally a Fostex X00 despite them claiming that the relationship ended....
WRONG...

I mean it is, despite what you want to believe.
WRONG...

The magnet design, the cups, the headband, the placement of the jacks, the impedance...... the sound signature....

I mean literally its a X00 headphone in every way you look at it.
TOTALLY WRONG...

when @Jimster480 said its literally the same headphones, i was thought maybe the drivers are the same, it could happen
I HAVE Both the TH-X00 purpleheart and the Denon.
The internal structure of the driver of the TH-X00 is a more modern version of the TH600.
It should be more refined, but still not at level of the TH900 due to the th900 larger magnet motor housing.

Then we have the Denon..
The 7200 (& mm400)
ARE USING SUPERIOR DRIVER materials than a TH-X00.. (!)
The TH-X00 motor/magnet structure is actually "edit**" a bit larger than the Denon mm400...

The portable mm400 is also an angled design like the Ultrasone ED5 that I owned.

Both units are probably the using the best drivers of their type, with unknown exception given to the new Klipsch unit,
because it is m using a newer version of the Fostex driver.

With exception of the Klipsh, Fostex does not currently make a newer driver version that can match the new Denon driver.
This may be why it difficult to get parts, but just now they able to have parts.

Point is, the Denon magnet/motor structure is superior,
And only matched by the Eikon, which I also owned, but Eikon driver still not better than Denon.
Denon driver quality is still superior.

Only the Utopia driver (like a mini-speaker) has a superior motor structure.
I have not checked Beyer but doubt they use biocelulous or "mini-speaker" types.

The B&W P9 also is of superior design slightly above the Denon mm400, yet not better than the 7200.
Their older line(P5&7 which I also have) also uses similar design driver.

Any other dynamic driver, (with exception of HD800) is inferior whether you hear it or not,
Because they are not "mini-speaker" designs.
They use spiral plastic type diaphragms which has no surround and so has to warp and flex..

And we should know by now that these composit plastic diaphragm designs (used in conventional dynamic drivers),
Are all prone to distortions and resonances all along the diaphragm surface,
as it has to flex and bend,
so as to destroy/warp the sonic wave image before it hits your ear.

Edit*
The ThX-00 has a similar rear magnet/motor structure diameter as the Denon mm400,
but the actual driver membrane on the THX-00 is larger and from the depth of the magnet/motor, it appears the voicecoil excursion of the THX-00 is also greater than the mm400.
In my recent testing I am finding out that the TH-X00 actually has excellent excursion for extended sub-bass..

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,459 of 3,155
@Maxx134
if you could provide pictures or link to support your statement that would be very convincing, i also curious how much each drivers differ from one to another

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #1,460 of 3,155
@Maxx134
if you could provide pictures or link to support your statement that would be very convincing, i also curious how much each drivers differ from one to another
I speak from actual personal usage and my own investigation, and next time I open the TH-X00 I will take pics to update that post.
Take note that the Denon drivers have a wider voicecoil diameter which is one positive visual indicator you can see.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #1,461 of 3,155
My sources are myself, as I inspected & tested them myself.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #1,462 of 3,155
I speak from actual personal usage and next time I open the TH-X00 I will take pics to update that post.
Take note that the Denon drivers have a wider voicecoil diameter which is a positive visual indicator you can see.
cool. that would be very informative for this thread, i'm definitely would appreciate that. for me personal i'm just curious and since i don't have the headphones and no audio stores around me carry those products, it's really hard for me to get to know d7200 or other similar products. and maybe some people have little bit doubt about this whole new drivers so some evidences would pretty much ended this discussion and we could discuss something else

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,463 of 3,155
Also to put things into perspective,
The TH-X00 are actually very good above average mid tier headphones,
And the mm400 is an underrated portable of extreme potential.

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,464 of 3,155
Also to put things into perspective,
The TH-X00 are actually very good above average mid tier headphones,
And the mm400 is an underrated portable of extreme potential.
since you mentioned it. are you familiar with ultrasone products? if you have to choose for portable usage, which one you prefer mm400 or ultrasone, like signature studio

i'm very much looking to have closed back headphone, that's why i'm following this thread, my top choice right now is d7200 but i also got a bit interested with ultrasone

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #1,465 of 3,155
hd.jpg

Denon extracts almost same amount of detail as the HD800SDR, but with much better isolation and bass extension.
I would still keep the HD800 around just for times when I crave wider soundstage.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #1,466 of 3,155
Except that the D7200 is literally a Fostex X00 despite them claiming that the relationship ended....
Same general design ,, i agree with you ,
but the 7200 is no way near the X00 sound quality ,, its more toward the 900 quality although it have deferent driver .

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #1,467 of 3,155
since you mentioned it. are you familiar with ultrasone products? if you have to choose for portable usage, which one you prefer mm400 or ultrasone, like signature studio

i'm very much looking to have closed back headphone, that's why i'm following this thread, my top choice right now is d7200 but i also got a bit interested with ultrasone
You need to know what signature you want..
Linear or fun or bassy or V-shaped or bright or dark.
Resolution will be above average with all spoken of here.
The Ult-Sig-Studio I did not try, but Ultrasone best are still Ed 8 & ED5 for portables.
Newer lesser portable line actually most probably good too, as the S-logic is nice.

Personally I am set on my mm400 for portable use and 7200 for home,
Especially when I modded both of them.
Even stock they superior to me..

For stock use they hard to beat,
But if you need more trebles the older Dennon units are nice too, like the 5000 & 7000.

For home price to performance ratio,. The TH-X00 units are hands down the bargain and easy to mod as their cups are spacious and empty.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #1,468 of 3,155
You need to know what signature you want..
Linear or fun or bassy or V-shaped or bright or dark.
Resolution will be above average with all spoken of here.
The Ult-Sig-Studio I did not try, but Ultrasone best are still Ed 8 & ED5 for portables.
Newer lesser portable line actually most probably good too, as the S-logic is nice.

Personally I am set on my mm400 for portable use and 7200 for home,
Especially when I modded both of them.
Even stock they superior to me..

For stock use they hard to beat,
But if you need more trebles the older Dennon units are nice too, like the 5000 & 7000.

For home price to performance ratio,. The TH-X00 units are hands down the bargain and easy to mod as their cups are spacious and empty.

i currently using grado ps1000e and i like their sound. but i'm not really looking to any particular sound signature, maybe i'm just trying to have some great closed back headphone that i could afford, maybe could complement the grado or maybe sound better. i'm not sure what kind sound signature i'm looking for closed back headphone

i don't have enough experience with closed back headphones but i tried several of them in the past, and i'm generally doesn't like their sound. i've only tried (from what i could remember) victor dx1000, beyer t5p II, ether closed back, sony z7, and few mid-end closed back headphones, the only closed back headphones that i like was yamaha hp2, i'm not sure why but i like their sound, i used to have hp2 but it still need some works and i wasn't really focus on it.so i sold it

right now i'm looking at denon d7200 or ultrasone, since i never heard any of them, they also looks great.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #1,469 of 3,155
WRONG...

WRONG...

TOTALLY WRONG...

I HAVE Both the TH-X00 purpleheart and the Denon.
The internal structure of the driver of the TH-X00 is a more compact version of the TH600.
It may be more refined but not at level of the TH900.

Then we have the Denon..
Both the 7200 And the portable MM400
ARE USING SUPERIOR DRIVERS than a TH-X00.. (!)
The TH-X00 motor/magnet structure is actually smaller than the Denon mm400...

The portable mm400 is also an angled design like the Ultrasone ED5 that I owned.

Both units are probably the using the best drivers of their type, with unknown exception given to the new Klipsch unit,
but because it is still using a Fostex driver,
Fostex does not currently make a driver that can match the new Denon driver.
This may be why it difficult to get parts at this time, I dunno.

Point is, the Denon magnet/motor structure is superior,
And only matched by the Eikon, which I also owned, but not better..
Denon driver quality is still superior.

Only the Utopia driver (like a mini-speaker) has a superior motor structure.
I have not checked Beyer but doubt they use biocelulous or "mini-speaker" types.

The B&W P9 also is of superior design slightly above the Denon mm400, yet not better than the 7200.
Their older line(P5&7 which I also have) also uses similar design driver.

Any other dynamic driver, (with exception of HD800) is inferior whether you hear it or not,
Because they are not "mini-speaker" designs.
They use spiral plastic type diaphragms which has no surround and so has to warp and flex..

And we should know by now that these composit plastic diaphragm designs (used in conventional dynamic drivers),
Are all prone to distortions and resonances all along the diaphragm surface,
as it has to flex and bend,
so as to destroy/warp the sonic wave image before it hits your ear.

HI that is lots of information, and i have been trying to learn some of this stuff for myself just for general knowledge. Focal makes it really easy and goes into great detail of their drivers and magnet structure / materials of diaphragm/ voice coil down to composition and specs on thickness . This is not so easily found for the other headphones in many cases

I saw on Denon site the mm400 was stated to be some paper composite/carbon blend, and the 7200 says some sort of nano fibre. But at same time, biodyna/biocellulose from microbial source used in the past also were highly regarded as the r10 showed.

I am curious if you have any specs from any one those like focal released. This information is difficult to find, and compare.

thx :)

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #1,470 of 3,155
Hello everyone!

I'm just curious, is there anybody out there, who uses these cans +DAP as a portable rig on a daily basis?

I've got an AH-MM400, and a HiFiMan 901s, and I think soundwise these are great. But lately I got a warranty issue with the MM400 (and please don't talk about the bugs of the 901s...).
I used the MM400s on a daily basis, also while commuting and at the office. The little membrane covering fabric parts are hold in place by no mechanical fixing but maybe with a little adhesive. These got loose first, then simply fell out, and I could not put them back, because there is no where to. This is a joke... also the stock cables and the plastic parts feel cheap, the parting lines are ugly, especially around the connector. Don't get me wrong, I love those cans, but I thought I will get better quality for such amount of money.

So I was thinking lately, what could I do, if I love the sound of the AH-MM400, but I want a higher level quality headphone. Hence the question, is the AH-D7200 any good for daily portable use, or shall I seek elsewhere? If the answer is yes, I would also need a decent quality short cable ~1.2m (without a mic of course).

Thank you and have a nice day!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back