Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 14, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #16 of 7,403
popcorn.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #17 of 7,403
Would love to know why you chose on ear...............from experience over ear tends to be way more comfy.  At least to my ears.  YMMV, blah blah.

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #19 of 7,403
Diana will be good looking, and comfortable-- let's put that aside.

What you currently see is a computer rendering of a portion of Diana. The actual headphone components are still being sculpted and fine tuned. More to come as details are finalized...

As noted to our dealers...

For those who seek absolute playback, the AB-1266 is not going anywhere, and will remain the strictly bad-ass, high-performance reference headphone that it is.

Diana is about style, and sound. She’s someone you like to have around.

We hope to have the first glimpse of Diana at the Rocky Mountain Audiofest and CanJam first week of October. Pricing and timing are not available, target is under 3000 USD.

Diana is to be a high-end, open back, on-ear planar, the first of it’s kind. Finishes and comfort are top priority. The sound.. we kinda have that down.

I hope that it will change in the production units. You deliberately renounce magnet bars on the back of the membrane in the interest of minimizing reflections and then you go and add such a perforated plate with about 40% sound permeability and 60% reflectivity?

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #20 of 7,403
  Would love to know why you chose on ear...............from experience over ear tends to be way more comfy.  At least to my ears.  YMMV, blah blah.

+1

I've sworn off on ear models. Sorry, but this is a pass from me. 

My on-ear STAX is so uncomfortable it causes me quite a bit of pain after awhile. Although it has been claimed that the Diana will be comfortable, and I'm so curious about it that I definitely want to try it, I am a little worried about this whole on-ear thing.

On the other hand, circumaural headphones can have just as many problems for some people. My over-ear STAX is comfortable, but I can't use it with my glasses at all -- it becomes a torture device. lol. (I usually move the frames of my glasses out from and over the pads of headphones, but this is impossible with the Lambda models.)

I hope that it will change in the production units. You deliberately renounce magnet bars on the back of the membrane in the interest of minimizing reflections and then you go and add such a perforated plate with about 40% sound permeability and 60% reflectivity?

Interesting point!

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #21 of 7,403

+1

My on-ear STAX is so uncomfortable it causes me quite a bit of pain after awhile. Although it has been claimed that the Diana will be comfortable, and I'm so curious about it that I definitely want to try it, I am a little worried about this whole on-ear thing.

On the other hand, circumaural headphones can have just as many problems for some people. My over-ear STAX is comfortable, but I can't use it with my glasses at all -- it becomes a torture device. lol. (I usually move the frames of my glasses out from and over the pads of headphones, but this is impossible with the Lambda models.)

Interesting point!

It definitely IS possible to make on-ears very comfortable, however.  I generally have no real issues with the comfort of my V-Moda M-80s except for VERY long listening sessions, where I have to take them off for thirty seconds every two to three hours or so, maybe, to let my ears decompress.  I've tried the on-ear Momentums, which are QUITE comfortable, IMO.  And then, a friend of mine has the Sony MDR-XB450, and I have to say that although sound-wise it's not fo rme (obviously the reason is that the bass is WAY too bloated), it is SUPREMELY comfortable. . .it feels like two down-pillows wrapped in pleather resting on my ears, and I'm sure that if the sound was more balanced, I could listen to them for upwards of six hours at a time without any issues at all.

Also I feel your pain, man.  I too wear glasses, and dude, they can REALLY screw with the fit and comfort of lots of pairs of cans. . .so annoying >_<

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #22 of 7,403
The Story behind DIANA?Why an HIGH-END ON EAR?

During the lot of past 15 years I was in contact with some headphone developers and have conversations and discussions continuously with lot of them.
In this Case,since i have my abyss with Joe

In the last time I ask myself often - why another over ear headphone?. Why just another Over Ear piece on the market. It might sound good - no doubts about!
It exist many of good sounding headphones, but some-when it's enough to get all time the same story presented

Why not once to try and create what no other has done till now?
May be it was not the right time? Who knows - till now?!!
To develop an HIGH-END ON EAR in the high price segment and to produce would be something totally different till today and it does not exist till now!

Me - as an Headphone Freak,I'm happy that Joe had an open ear for me and will demonstrate with DIANA that it's possible in 2015 to realize a very well sounding&comfortable ON EAR HEADPHONE

Its the right time to go a new way.......with DIANA!

Thanks to JPS Labs

NOMAX

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #23 of 7,403
I honestly don't see the reason for developing an open-back on-ear flagship.
Semi-portable use at home or for the hotel room when traveling ? Hmm, probably that's the main target audience.

If it was a portable closed-back on-ear flagship, I think it would be a real novelty. Anyhow, I have no doubt that it will sound good, but I don't really see the need or the market for it. That's just my humble opinion, of course.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #24 of 7,403
  I honestly don't see the reason for developing an open-back on-ear flagship.
Semi-portable use at home or for the hotel room when traveling ? Hmm, probably that's the main target audience.

If it was a portable closed-back on-ear flagship, I think it would be a real novelty. Anyhow, I have no doubt that it will sound good, but I don't really see the need or the market for it. That's just my humble opinion, of course.

I agree. Even a closed-back version would be hard to justify in view of the even more versatile IEM alternative.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #25 of 7,403
We have to many Over Ear HP's with this very overlarged Cups!

It's the right time to show a other way

Nomax

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #26 of 7,403
We have to many Over Ear HP's with this very overlarged Cups!

It's the right time to show a other way

Nomax

I'm curious how that will turn out. I for one like (over)large earcups; they're comfortable. What exactly is the goal of the small earcups?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Sopp
Back