Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 4, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #6,676 of 7,431
To my ears the super conductor provides more detail and improves on the sub bass even more. The leather bass ported pads has more airiness and openess. Similar to the standard leather pads just with better, more rounded bass. Now the vegan bass ported pads is different. Much warmer and intimate. Trebles somewhat more subdued and rounded, just how i like it. Been pad rolling between the two bass ported pads actually depending on what I am listening. Pls note that the orohinal cables are in every way great!
Have you heard/compared with the Abyss AB1266 TC with the super conductor cable? I'm wondering if Diana MR can come close to the sound quality of the AB1266 TC with the super conductor cable and some good gear, or if they're just in different leagues completely. I'm looking to get either the Diana MR, 1266 TC, or Susvara as my first Hifi cans. Idk if MR is on the same level for sound as those two, but I love the design of it.

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #6,677 of 7,431
Have you heard/compared with the Abyss AB1266 TC with the super conductor cable? I'm wondering if Diana MR can come close to the sound quality of the AB1266 TC with the super conductor cable and some good gear, or if they're just in different leagues completely. I'm looking to get either the Diana MR, 1266 TC, or Susvara as my first Hifi cans. Idk if MR is on the same level for sound as those two, but I love the design of it.
Before someone can help you with a recommendation you need to let them know what your current chain is. System synergy is important.

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #6,678 of 7,431
I have never demoed the TC so can kot give any info on that. I do have the Susvara though. The Susvara sounds more natural and neutral compared to the MR, with the MR more warm and intimate. Partly because the MR is more focused on the mids, while the Sus is much more balanced. Detail retrieval both are excellent. Bass goes more to the MR if you want that. Not that the Sus lacks bass. It has plenty and beautiful bass when needed. I run both headphones using my Ferrum stack. MR uses the superconductor cable, while the Sus uses a silver dragon cable

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #6,679 of 7,431
I have never demoed the TC so can kot give any info on that. I do have the Susvara though. The Susvara sounds more natural and neutral compared to the MR, with the MR more warm and intimate. Partly because the MR is more focused on the mids, while the Sus is much more balanced. Detail retrieval both are excellent. Bass goes more to the MR if you want that. Not that the Sus lacks bass. It has plenty and beautiful bass when needed. I run both headphones using my Ferrum stack. MR uses the superconductor cable, while the Sus uses a silver dragon cable
Hmmm I see, that helps a bit thanks. I'm leaning more towards the MR right now but i heard a lot of good things about the 1266 TC so i'm looking forward to comparing all of those at the next cam jam NY. And I don't have an audio chain yet, but I'm most likely going to be getting the holo audio may and bliss combo to go with one of these headphones.

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #6,680 of 7,431
Hmmm I see, that helps a bit thanks. I'm leaning more towards the MR right now but i heard a lot of good things about the 1266 TC so i'm looking forward to comparing all of those at the next cam jam NY. And I don't have an audio chain yet, but I'm most likely going to be getting the holo audio may and bliss combo to go with one of these headphones.
Having a demo is definitely a good way to start. All the equipment you mentioned are either TOTL or close to summit fi stuff. But bear in mind that just because they cost the most, or that other people say theyre good, doesnt mean that you will like them too. At the end what matters is YOUR liatening experience using those equipments. Coming to CamJam NY is surely a good place where you can try everything. See you there 😊

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #6,681 of 7,431
i imagine that the susvara has a larger 'soundstage' than the diana mr. i'm basing this on my auditions of the susvara and other diana models. is the susvara more resolving than the diana mr to your ears?

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #6,682 of 7,431
i imagine that the susvara has a larger 'soundstage' than the diana mr. i'm basing this on my auditions of the susvara and other diana models. is the susvara more resolving than the diana mr to your ears?
I would say yes to both.

Sus needs a much better chain to get the most out of it vs the MR. MR scales but the Sus scales much higher IMO.

You can spend a lot of money to get the most out of the Sus tho.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #6,684 of 7,431

I've compared MR, Diana TC and 1266 TC side by side using same system. In my opinion MR is still below Diana TC on technicalities, and it's still quite far to 1266 TC level. However the MR has much more agreeable sound signature and easier to enjoy other than those two. Some of my friends prefer the MR that day and i can see why

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #6,685 of 7,431
Having a demo is definitely a good way to start. All the equipment you mentioned are either TOTL or close to summit fi stuff. But bear in mind that just because they cost the most, or that other people say theyre good, doesnt mean that you will like them too. At the end what matters is YOUR liatening experience using those equipments. Coming to CamJam NY is surely a good place where you can try everything. See you there 😊
Yea that's true, always good to try things out yourself first to see if it fits your style. I'm excited for that next CamJam in NY. It's gonna be my first CamJam but I know it will be amazing! See you there fam:beerchug:

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #6,686 of 7,431
I've compared MR, Diana TC and 1266 TC side by side using same system. In my opinion MR is still below Diana TC on technicalities, and it's still quite far to 1266 TC level. However the MR has much more agreeable sound signature and easier to enjoy other than those two. Some of my friends prefer the MR that day and i can see why
Interesting... that's kinda crazy how you say the MR is easier to enjoy than those and some of your friends prefer that to the 1266 TC even though it's far from the TC level as you said. I know it's all subjective preference at the end of the day, but you would think that the 1266 TC would be the clear favorite with the price/performance difference between those three. Which one do you find more enjoyable to listen to overall?

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #6,688 of 7,431
Interesting... that's kinda crazy how you say the MR is easier to enjoy than those and some of your friends prefer that to the 1266 TC even though it's far from the TC level as you said. I know it's all subjective preference at the end of the day, but you would think that the 1266 TC would be the clear favorite with the price/performance difference between those three. Which one do you find more enjoyable to listen to overall?

Diana TC for me, it's one of few planars that i have a great respect. For me it's the best middle ground between MR ( or V2 in the past ) more enjoyable sound and 1266 TC monstrous technicalities

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #6,690 of 7,431

Abyss 1266 TC and Diana TC clearly resolve more, and can reveal "deeper" into the music with typical audiophile recording (e.g: stockfisch). However, if someone listen to a lot of mainstream asian pop/rock, the forgiving character of Diana MR may become the win solution here.

You think the superconductor cable is worth it with the MR? Many felt it wasn’t worth it with the V2. I can see the MR being a better match/worth it because it’s pulling more detail and more transparent vs the V2.

Also I’ve been thinking of getting the suede bass ported pads. I have the leather version. Suede just smoothing the treble a bit while maintaining the bass?

Haven't tried SC Cable with Diana MR, but when I owned Diana Phi, I didn't think SC cable worth it at all. The differences in sound rather minimal for the price I should paid. On the other hand, SC Cable is a "must" for 1266 TC (for my preference).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back