Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Nov 26, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #6,646 of 7,431
Diana TC is awarded Stereophile's Product of the Year 2023 !

https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophiles-products-2023-headphone-product-year

"There was no ambiguity in the voting for this category: the Abyss Diana TC headphones scored head-and-shoulders above the other finalists. But the inexpensive Apple AirPod Pro 2 gets a shoutout for making it through to the second round of voting."

stereophile-product-of-the-year-2023-abyss.jpg

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Nov 26, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #6,647 of 7,431
Still can’t decide. This $3K range is so crowded.

Used TC is cheaper than MR. Reviews says MR is more enjoyable.

Used Elite is cheaper than Empy II. Reviews says Empy II is more enjoyable.

There’s a Caldera, used Utopia 2022, Expanse and list goes on.

What i look for is bass. Bass like LCD-X without being intimate and claustrophobic. I tried Arya but it was too sharp and bass wasn’t strong.

From what i read MR is what i look for. Light, full body with strong bass presence. Aesthetics are superb. Forgiving for bad recordings that i often listen to.

Are the drivers up to par from measurements compared to others in the price range objectively?

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #6,648 of 7,431

What i look for is bass. Bass like LCD-X without being intimate and claustrophobic. I tried Arya but it was too sharp and bass wasn’t strong.

From what i read MR is what i look for. Light, full body with strong bass presence. Aesthetics are superb. Forgiving for bad recordings that i often listen to.

Are the drivers up to par from measurements compared to others in the price range objectively?
If bass is what your looking for check out the Exspanse.

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #6,649 of 7,431
Or D8000 Pro. LCD X has some rolloff in the bass so the options mentioned above will be a solid improvement.

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #6,650 of 7,431
Anyone try the Diana Phi on the Feliks Audio Elise? How does it compare to a SS like a A90? Or should I need to add a SS amp for the Diana?
I've been listening to the Diana V2 on an Asgard 3 for the last few weeks and have absolutely fallen in love with them (I think they've just about ruined every other headphone in my collection for me). I wanted to do some side-by-side listening next to a couple of my favorite dynamic drivers and setup my old Vali 2+ alongside my Tor Roger that I have in a different room. Call me crazy, but the Diana's on the Vali 2+ seemed to lack a lot of the magic I was hearing on the solid state Asgard (despite the Vali 2+ being a hybrid). I'm not sure how much being in a totally different room has to do with it (or the fact that the Asgard can put out 3.5W at 50 ohms while the Vali only does 1.5W), but if there's some actual synergy here (not just brain tricks, which I can't rule out!), then my ears say stick with solid state on these. I'd love to hear other experiences and opinions though!

Nov 27, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #6,651 of 7,431
I've been listening to the Diana V2 on an Asgard 3 for the last few weeks and have absolutely fallen in love with them (I think they've just about ruined every other headphone in my collection for me). I wanted to do some side-by-side listening next to a couple of my favorite dynamic drivers and setup my old Vali 2+ alongside my Tor Roger that I have in a different room. Call me crazy, but the Diana's on the Vali 2+ seemed to lack a lot of the magic I was hearing on the solid state Asgard (despite the Vali 2+ being a hybrid). I'm not sure how much being in a totally different room has to do with it (or the fact that the Asgard can put out 3.5W at 50 ohms while the Vali only does 1.5W), but if there's some actual synergy here (not just brain tricks, which I can't rule out!), then my ears say stick with solid state on these. I'd love to hear other experiences and opinions though!
Synergy is definitely a thing. If it’s working and your ears like it, then enjoy.
Most of my headphones prefer a certain amp and I typically stick with what works.

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #6,652 of 7,431

I have the MR with non bass ported leather pads and I wouldn't consider the bass presence strong, except the tracks really call for it. What I have read on the forums it seems that if you decide to go the MR route that the vegan bass ported pads should be at least considered (forgiving)

I recently had the chance to listen to almost all mentioned headphones and I agree that its almost impossible to make the right decision given there are so many options and time that is needed to properly judge if you like them or not:)

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #6,653 of 7,431
I have the MR with non bass ported leather pads and I wouldn't consider the bass presence strong, except the tracks really call for it. What I have read on the forums it seems that if you decide to go the MR route that the vegan bass ported pads should be at least considered (forgiving)

I recently had the chance to listen to almost all mentioned headphones and I agree that its almost impossible to make the right decision given there are so many options and time that is needed to properly judge if you like them or not:)
Bass levels are also changed by rotating the pads. Stock location has the seam of the pads at the same position as the socket on the ear cups. Rotating upwards gives more bass at slight cost to treble presence. Seam at top front corner adds more, and therefore removes more of other things.

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #6,654 of 7,431
Bass levels are also changed by rotating the pads. Stock location has the seam of the pads at the same position as the socket on the ear cups. Rotating upwards gives more bass at slight cost to treble presence. Seam at top front corner adds more, and therefore removes more of other things.
Thank you! I have played around with it but sadly when I rotate them I get pressure points and its quite uncomfortable. Also just my observation of course but the MR driver behaves a bit differently compared at least the Diana PHI when increasing the gap

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #6,655 of 7,431
Thank you! I have played around with it but sadly when I rotate them I get pressure points and its quite uncomfortable. Also just my observation of course but the MR driver behaves a bit differently compared at least the Diana PHI when increasing the gap
No problem. I have bass ported pads, vegan pads, which I love, so pressure points for me at least are minimal. Overall, I prefer the pads with the seam facing up and towards the back. Best overall compromise for me, as well as with comfort.

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #6,656 of 7,431
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #6,657 of 7,431
Struggling to decide between trying Diana MR or Diana TC.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #6,660 of 7,431
Given you already have the TC driver in your 1266, might be cooler to try something different and go for the MR? Also easier to drive.
Also let me add I have the 1266, Diana Phi and Diana MR. I’m glad I got the MR as it really brings a different yet familiar flavor to the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back