DIY Amp and DAC recommendations please!
Jul 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Veemo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

As a general rule I like to DIY, not buy, my things. In my opinion this is almost always the best bang-for-your buck, especially if you enjoy building and tinkering as I do. I have built guitar effects pedals, a small guitar amp, and various other electronics, so I do have experience in PtP and PCB wiring. Naturally, I would like to build my own DAC and Amp, and I'm looking for recommendations. I figure I can spend $200 for the whole setup, but of course if I can spend less than that, well, that would be great!

A while ago I was looking at the Starving Student, and the CTH. how do the two of these compare, given their price differences? how much should I expect to spend on a CTH? I'm not dead-set on having a SS, Tube, or Tube hybrid amp, these were just some designs that looked good. Can anyone recommend another good DIY headphone amp? I would like to avoid "Kits" since I can easily make a chassis at work (metal shop) for free, and save a few bucks. Could somebody give me a quick run-down on the available amps?

I will need a DAC, as well. Again, I'm looking for recommendation for one. It must have USB in as it will live at my computer and I am not blessed enough to have optical outs or anything like that. USB powered will be good too, for convenience, but it's not vital.

For reference I will be using Yamaha RH5MA headphones (32 ohm) but I may upgrade in the future, and I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. All manner of rock, jazz, funk, acoustic, electronic, and whatever else I like. *Lots* of Grateful Dead. I am not looking for the ultimate, end-all system ($200, remember?), just an all around good rig for home use that will deliver better sound than my iRiver and serve as a solid intro to the world of real Hi-Fi.

Also, if by some miracle there is a combination DAC/Amp, or two seperate units that I can just buy that will sound as good as what I can build for about the same price, please let me know about... oh, yeah, no I didn't think so.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 4
You are using low impedance headphones, so check tube amps specifications before hand: they often have high output impedance, especially output transformer less (OTL). SInce transformers are costly, OTLs are often the cheapest.

If you are looking for a all-in-one, the new Millett Hybrid Max board includes a space for the BantamDAC. The DAC can be built for 25-30$ (according to Beezar), and the MOSFET-MAXed (a variation of the Millett, using the same board), can be populated for about 165$ if you don't buy the enclosure, and the BJT version for even less. Of course, you still have to buy tools, solder and wires, so if you include these in your budget, it will go over.

I have the MiniMax, it's not my favorite now that I have built two others, but Millett is a good starting point. I don't know how it compares to the CTH however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back