Double Helix Cables Thread
Mar 26, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #707 of 2,056
i did ask but answers are kind of vague, for me and dont Understand. can someone give me a layman term on a reply for each or much as possible? woukd help me out greatly

Seriously, you should continue dialoging with Peter.  But I'll take a stab at lay, short answers:

1) Braids - "more is better" but what constitutes better is relative.  I bought an 8-wire cable for my CIEMs, and a 4-wire for my Alphas.  Wish I could have afforded to get both in 8-wire...but the 4-wire definitely doesn't suck.  The style of braid (square, round) is purely aesthetic.  Just whatever looks best to you.  No difference in performance.  One might lay better coming out of your ears and down your neck, back, etc.  There's probably no difference in "power requirements" to get the most out of different wire configurations, but Peter is the person to answer that question.

2) Mini-to-Mini interconnect - 1/8" male to 1/8" male jack, for connecting a portable source (like iPhone, DAP, etc) to a portable amp.  Can be used for connecting lots of other devices.  Not required for your headphone cables to work.  Just an add-on that's conveniently located on that page if you want to add one.    

3) Y-splitter - if your headphones accept the cable into both sides, instead of just one side, then the custom cable Peter makes will have a "y split" where the left channel joins the right channel as it leads to the end that plugs into your amp/iPhone/etc.  Peter offers you the option of having a carbon or metal splitter, or a piece of heat-shrink plastic, that protects the point where the left and right sides come together.  He now even offers precious metal versions.  Kinda cool.

4) Adapters - you are correct--these enable you to "adapt" the termination you have on your cable to fit to a different kind of receptacle.  Short of knowing all of your equipment and intended uses, it's hard to know what would be helpful to share.  Again, Peter can help you figure out whether you need or could use having some adapters.  

Hope that helped a little...Peter offers a fully customized wire so there are really a lot of options and variables to take into consideration.  And there's no one single absolute perfect combination--but many great combinations.  Took me forever to settle on my cable order with Peter, but he was helpful and I'm beyond pleased with everything he's made for me.  

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #708 of 2,056
Thank you. He did reply often and did answer but his answers were, again, for me, was very vaiuge and didn't really answer my questions or got me more confused. Your answer helped me out a lot. Now I guess I gotta see how big of a difference it is with 4 and 8 with a TRRS end.... To bad can't demo these

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #709 of 2,056
Thank you. He did reply often and did answer but his answers were, again, for me, was very vaiuge and didn't really answer my questions or got me more confused. Your answer helped me out a lot. Now I guess I gotta see how big of a difference it is with 4 and 8 with a TRRS end.... To bad can't demo these

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. Pretty new to this stuff. Peter is really nice about replying, but he's super-busy so can't really hold hands with everybody who doesn't know the field.

Anyway, when I asked him what the difference in sound between 4 and 8 braid was, he said that 8 provided a little more "detail and authority." But that 4 was more comfortable, especially  in a mobile cable. As for me, I got a 6-braid, which I love, but there's definitely a lot more mass there than even a 4-braid. Pick what you like.

Same thing with the splitter. The cable has to have something at the junction of the "Y". I got the carbon capsid splitter because it looks cool, but if you're prioritising weight, go without.

Best of luck, and it's a long way down the rabbit hole....

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #710 of 2,056

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. Pretty new to this stuff. Peter is really nice about replying, but he's super-busy so can't really hold hands with everybody who doesn't know the field.

Anyway, when I asked him what the difference in sound between 4 and 8 braid was, he said that 8 provided a little more "detail and authority." But that 4 was more comfortable, especially  in a mobile cable. As for me, I got a 6-braid, which I love, but there's definitely a lot more mass there than even a 4-braid. Pick what you like.

Same thing with the splitter. The cable has to have something at the junction of the "Y". I got the carbon capsid splitter because it looks cool, but if you're prioritising weight, go without.

Best of luck, and it's a long way down the rabbit hole....

Thank you for encouragement....if i may ask, what cans or IEMs are you using and did you upgrade from stock?  What is your DAP and how much of a difference, to the best you can describe in words, were your previous cables with the 6 braid.

I'm also assuming I can still get the psuedo-Balanced from the ZX2 regardless of 4/6/8 braid, just 8 is the one that's recommended for balanced type connection (meaning you'll still get balanced regardless of which one you get, or in my case, psuedo balanced on zx2)

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #711 of 2,056

Thank you for encouragement....if i may ask, what cans or IEMs are you using and did you upgrade from stock?  What is your DAP and how much of a difference, to the best you can describe in words, were your previous cables with the 6 braid.

I'm also assuming I can still get the psuedo-Balanced from the ZX2 regardless of 4/6/8 braid, just 8 is the one that's recommended for balanced type connection (meaning you'll still get balanced regardless of which one you get, or in my case, psuedo balanced on zx2)

I'm using Westone W60 IEMs. Even just listening on my iPhone, upgrading the cables to Peter's from stock immediately provided a better listening experience. The W60s are often said to feel slightly removed, or to have a little veil, and the cables I got from Peter immediately lifted the veil. 

At the same time I got an AK120II, which is also a subtle-but-significant (yeah, contradiction, sue me) improvement. The combination of the new cable and the AK is just terrific. 

When I first started listening to the AK/W60/DHC cable combination, I almost felt like the sound was too good. Like my nervous system wasn't equipped to handle the purity of the sound. It was kinda overwhelming. I've since gotten used to  it. :)

Can't comment on the balanced issue, since I'm not familiar with the ZX2. My cable is terminated in a balanced connection to get balanced signal straight out of the AK, but I also got an adapter from Peter that lets me use the cable with my computer or iPhone, which is nice when I need to but which I almost never do. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #712 of 2,056

One last thing to consider is the portability.  If you're using your rig on the move, 4 or 6 works absolutely fine.  8 conductor cables are cool looking, but a little overkill for iems, and the variance in sq is miniscule, IMO.  BTW, I got the carbon Y splitter, and it's nice looking but kind of heavy for iems.  Also, I'm thinking about the ZX2 myself, and I'll probably stick with a 4 conductor, considering price vs sq improvement.  Again, just my 2 cents.  Good luck!

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #713 of 2,056

One last thing to consider is the portability.  If you're using your rig on the move, 4 or 6 works absolutely fine.  8 conductor cables are cool looking, but a little overkill for iems, and the variance in sq is miniscule, IMO.  BTW, I got the carbon Y splitter, and it's nice looking but kind of heavy for iems.  Also, I'm thinking about the ZX2 myself, and I'll probably stick with a 4 conductor, considering price vs sq improvement.  Again, just my 2 cents.  Good luck!

Thank you for the advice!   are the 8 conductor cable thick as the fostex th-900 and similar cans?    i'm trying to imagine how heavy they are...

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #714 of 2,056
How long to wait for DIY parts order? It says few days, and no specific date. I know Peter is busy, but still looking forward for my order to make my DIY cable. Placed my order on Monday and still processing.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #715 of 2,056
so from what i've read about DHC, they're the top shelf of aftermarket cables?  has anyone had the chance to compare the Symbiote SP V2 Silver (litz, yadda yadda) to Ted Allen's Pure silver litz, for CIEMs?  i only ask because the symbiote is 2x as expensive as Ted's, which is 2x as expensive as BTG's SPC.  haha

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #716 of 2,056
  so from what i've read about DHC, they're the top shelf of aftermarket cables?  has anyone had the chance to compare the Symbiote SP V2 Silver (litz, yadda yadda) to Ted Allen's Pure silver litz, for CIEMs?  i only ask because the symbiote is 2x as expensive as Ted's, which is 2x as expensive as BTG's SPC.  haha

Ted's cable is litz braid, the DHC Symbiote Silver Peptide V2 Silver Litz is Type 4 Litz wire, huge difference.  Litz wire is enamel coated, and has more fine strands with a fabric core, much more expensive wire design and construction! 

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #717 of 2,056

Ted's cable is litz braid, the DHC Symbiote Silver Peptide V2 Silver Litz is Type 4 Litz wire, huge difference.  Litz wire is enamel coated, and has more fine strands with a fabric core, much more expensive wire design and construction! 

Thanks for that, I got notified that my fusion copper litz 8 braid is ready to ship. Granted has not left Dallas yet but something is happening. Will post some picks and thoughts then.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #718 of 2,056

i understand a step up in material quality.  but beyond that, is there a sonic difference, or is it purely aesthetic?

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #719 of 2,056

i understand a step up in material quality.  but beyond that, is there a sonic difference, or is it purely aesthetic?

You get what you pay for, DHC materials are the best in the world, and to my ears sound to match.  The Silver Peptide is never harsh, detailed, excellent bass.  If you don't have quality upstream components, you should spend your money there before investing in quality cables.  Cables are for those that want that last little bit, to scale the sound to the next level!  Cables are purely subjective, I have quite a few aftermarket cables for comparison, and I have found the DHC Silver Peptide to be one of the best, it is one of those things where YMMV!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back